The CONNS are coming!

BFS

Andrew Hill - Dance with Death (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 5

— includes alternate take of title track

Bobby Hutcherson - Now! (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 5

— includes Hutcherson's set from "Blue Note Meets The LA Philharmonic," which includes different versions of three of the tunes from "Now!"

Sam Rivers - Contours (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 5

— includes alternate take of "Mellifluous Cacophony"

Horace Silver - The United States of Mind - 2 CDs (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

— three LPs on two CDs: "That Healin' Feeling," "Total Response" & "All"

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 5

— Jack Wilson (piano); Jackie McLean (alto saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Garnett Brown (trombone); Bob Cranshaw (bass guitar); Billy Higgins (drums); 1967

Larry Young - Of Love and Peace (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 5

— Larry Young (organ); James Spaulding (flute, alto saxophone); Herbert Morgan (tenor saxophone); Eddie Gale (trumpet); Jerry Thomas, Wilson Moorman III (drums); 1966

:g

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be picking up all of these except the Silver, which I'll probably get at some point, but...I'm in no big hurry. These are all currently saved in my CDUniverse Wish List, along with the Albert Ayler Revenant box...OUCH!...that order's gonna hurt. Just waiting for the end of the month to pull the trigger... Can't wait! :D

This is a great group of titles. I'll get all but the Wilson, which I already have.

But at this point I can't figure out BN's reissue policy. For example, at least several former Conns are coming out as RVGs. One I'm really surprised to see make a re-appearance is "Little Johnny C"- which didn't do very well as a Conn and is now back as an RVG. There are others ( McLean's Destination Out comes to mind). Is it now about re-issuing re-issues? :huh:

It also looks like all the stuff from the BN Mosaics are eventually finding their way into individual re-issues.

Wasn't the Connoisseur concept supposed to be stuff that had NOT been (domestically) reissued before?

I can understand their making exceptions for something like Sonny's Crib, where they fixed the takes.

But are they abusing this concept and re-re-releasing anything? I hadn't thought so. That's what the RVG series is for.....

Mike

I thought that the Hill [meaning "Dance With Death", which is coming out as a Conn on Oct. 5th] was to be included in a Mosaic Mistake 3 CD box.

"Dance With Death" will NOT be included in the upcoming Andrew Hill Mosaic Select.

Link: For the specific contents of the Andrew Hill Select (and related discussion), PLEASE GO TO THIS THREAD!!! <--- The complete discography for the Hill Select is now included at the very beginning of the thread found at this link, in the first post).

Happy, Happy Day!!!! :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'll get them all eventually. . . to replace copies I have. . .but I wish they were RVGs!

My wallet wishes they were RVG's, but I am totally understanding of Blue Note needing to charge more to release these kinds of sessions, since they are much more obscure, and of less "general" interest to the jazz-loving public.

Wouldn't we all pay Import (Japanese) prices to get some of these on CD?? If so, then we should be willing to pay a few dollars more to get them as domestic issues.

They're worth that much to me. And those specific titles that aren't, I simply won't buy. But in most cases (with only a few exceptions), the Conns are the titles I'm most excited about getting.

Got the Jack Wilson on JRVG, which is good enough for me!

:g

I'd toss that JRVG up on the block and get some big bux for it and then pick up the Conn. cause anything has got to sound better than that POS-pillow over your ears-JRVG. (I know the TOCJ does big time) ;)

Interesting...

I'll give it another listen first.

I am very partial to the JRVG sound.