The CONNS are coming!

BFS

What d'yall think of the Silver release? From what I've read here and elsewhere, these albums are not among Horace's better-regarded efforts. For example, from AMG:

When jazz critics complain about the decline of Blue Note in the late '60s and early '70s, Total Response is the kind of album they have in mind. A sprawling, incoherent, and just plain weird mess of funk, fusion, soul-jazz, African spirituality, and hippie mysticism, Total Response aims at the transcendent and stumbles upon its own ludicrous ambitions. Building from familiar, funky soul-jazz vamps, Silver wrote a set of nine songs that were designed to "bring a little more Health, Happiness, Love and Peace into your life." Appropriately, the album is filled with songs about the evils of the modern world ("Acid, Pot or Pills," "Big Business") and how self-awareness ("What Kind of Animal Am I?," "I'm Aware of the Animal Within Me") and open minds ("Won't You Open Up Your Senses," "Soul Searchin'," "I've Had Little Talk") can lead to spiritual peace and fulfillment ("Total Response"). All this may be true, but the way that it's said — laid-back, featureless fusion vamps with awkward lyrics by Silver ("Our water isn't pure/When fluoride we endure") that are wailed tunelessly by Salome and Andy Bey — is terribly clumsy and ridiculous. It wouldn't matter that there is "little jazz content" to the music if these fusions of soul, funk, jazz, and poetry worked, but since they fail so miserably, the lack of improvisation and inspiration from Silver, saxophonist Harold Vick, trumpeter Cecil Bridgewater, guitarist Richie Resnicoff, bassist Rob Cranshaw, and drummer Mickey Roker only emphasizes what a mess Total Response is.

OTOH, there seems to be a growing appetite for "funk, fusion, soul jazz, African spirituality and hippie mysticism," and it's hard to think that Horace and Harold Vick together can be all that bad?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll pick up the Hill on Day #1, for sure, cuz you all know what a nut I am about his music. And I've never heard the Jack Wilson, so that's a serious must-buy on Day #1 for me too (especially since Lee Morgan's on there!!)

The others are a combination of 1) dates I already have on CD on Mosaics (the Sam Rivers and Larry Young), both of which I'll probably get eventually - but I'm in no rush. And 2) dates I need to hear first, before I'll pull the trigger (the Hutcherson, and especially the Horace Silvers).

I'm a little curious about "Now!", but a buddy of mine has this on LP - and played a couple tracks for me once -- and it was certainly something that I had a mixed reaction to (to put it mildly).

And the on-line samples I've heard of a few cuts from the Horace Silvers makes me very skittish about ever buying over two hours of that material, which I doubt I would listen to all that often.

Hmmm...I just realized the wife's out of town the latter part of October. Might be time for one of those budget buster orders anyway...get a big box in the house and mixed into the CD shelves before she gets back...salook.gif

You devil, you! :D

(It's like this man is my twin!) ;)

I'll probably only get the Wilson, for now. (Much easier to hide.)

Hmmm....Have the Hill via a burn; LOVE IT and will probably get the legit copy. Same for the Wilson which has some great playing. The Rivers I have on the Mosaic but I love the cover so I may pick it up for that and the sound if it's improved by any great deal.

What's the Hutcherson all about? I'm very intrigued.

Best regards,

Bill

I wonder if the Hutcherson album is anything like "Lift Every Voice". If so, I won't be needing it. I wish that the voices on the Hill were overdubbed, and that the tape without the voices still existed, as there are some good instrumental bits. That tape could then be issued (remastered by RVG of course :D ) with the title "Lift Every".

Does anyone know if these will be copy protected? This is something I fear every time a new batch of Blue Notes is announced. I hesitate to pre-order as a result.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Well, you could always wait until they're released. I believe that CDUniverse honors the pre-release price for up to a week after an item's release. Correct?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...