The CONNS are coming!

BFS

So, how are they?

"Dance with death" especially, the most awaited Blue Note reissue of all times :excited:

'Dance With Death' is one of the best Hill albums from his BN days. One of his very organised and also readily accessible session. Tolliver and Farrell shine thoughout but the musician I love on that album is Billy Higgins who gives a unique impetus to the date.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how are they?

"Dance with death" especially, the most awaited Blue Note reissue of all timesĀ  :excited:

'Dance With Death' is one of the best Hill albums from his BN days. One of his very organised and also readily accessible session. Tolliver and Farrell shine thoughout but the musician I love on that album is Billy Higgins who gives a unique impetus to the date.

Dance with Death is indeed one of Hill's better Blue Note albums. I agree with Brownie's assessment.

So, how are they?

"Dance with death" especially, the most awaited Blue Note reissue of all timesĀ  :excited:

Dance with Death is indeed one of Hill's better Blue Note albums. I agree with Brownie's assessment.

Gotta get it. :tup

From what I've read of United States of Mind, this sounds like something to avoid, especially with the Andy Bey vocals. Not my things.

Unlike my previous thinking, I'll probably pick up the Hill plus the Hutch and the Larry Young.

However, I can't say this group really blows me away. Also, it seems that BN is putting out everything Horace did. Why not release some other stuff. I'm getting tired of all these Horace releases.

I'm sure many of us have the Rivers Mosaic so why put out a single release, at least so soon after his Mosaic has gone OOP. Heck, it can only be a couple of years.

Andrew Hill - Dance with Death

Sam Rivers - Contours

I've had the above for years and highly recommend them. I have a feeling the sound will be above average on these (my vinyl sonics are top notch). If not, someone screwed up.

Larry Young - Of Love and Peace

Had the above for a short time and if you do not have much Young, I say get it.

I know I'll be getting the Hill as soon as I can.

I already have the Young and Rivers Mosaics, so I don't really need their Conns (but I'm tempted by the Rivers anyway).

I'm sure I'll get the Hutcherson sometime, but I'm just not in the mood now. I have all his BN cds that have been released, but I haven't listened to any of them in ages.

As for the Horace Silver, I have a tocj of one of the albums in the trilogy, Total Response. I know it's wrong to say since it wasn't intended that way, but I think it's humorous stuff (especially tracks like Acid, Pot Or Pills). In truth, it was my first exposure to Andy Bey and I went on to purchase more of his work. I'll probably get this if BMG has it on the cheap.

I have just received the Hill, Rivers and Young.

The European versions are all copy protected :angry:

The european Blue Note CD pressings have been copyprotected since June 2003. Apparently there were pressings in the UK that were not (or these were US imports)

I already have the Young and Rivers Mosaics, so I don't really need their Conns (but I'm tempted by the Rivers anyway).

I used to buy Conns even if I had them on the Mosaic. I stopped a while ago - a combination of finances and the whole BNBB thing I guess. Like your reasoning with the Hutcherson, many times I found my self wondering if it made sense to have multiple recordings of the same material when I only listen to the ones I have only once in a while.

I do buy the Conns of material that I don't already have, but your comment about BMG has me wondering....... Does BN routinely go the BMG route? Might be time for one of those 12 for the price of 1 introductory offers.

[ but your comment about BMG has me wondering....... Does BN routinely go the BMG route?Ā  Might be time for one of those 12 for the price of 1 introductory offers.

I'd say yes, but I do not know if every release gets to BMG. It may be 3 months before you see any at BMG.

Has anyone in the US seen the Larry Young in a bricks-and-mortar?

Yes. All the Connoisseurs, with the exception of the Rivers, were in the Borders over here. They weren't shelved ... but an employee let me go through the "to shelve" cart, and I shelved them myself! Except for the Hill ... that one came home with me.

I wouldn't otherwise pay that crazy Borders price, but I still had a birthday gift card with a balance on it, so what the heck.

Now ... the music! The Hill is one fine session, with Higgins an especially interesting choice of drummers. He seems to give more of a groove, though not in a "Grass Roots" way, to Hill's brooding compositions. At first I wanted to hear someone like Joe Chambers, but after a second go-around, I like Higgins a lot ā€” just wasn't initially prepared for that pairing. Both Farrell and Tolliver get in some eloquent solos as well.

And, I must say, this remastering job must count as one of McMaster's best. Probably still too bright for my tastes, but considering McMaster's "signature," it does have relatively nice presence, the horns notably warmer than usual. Only the bass seems at times too recessed in the mix. But thank God it doesn't have that horrible rap-thud-bass that Rudy rudely ruined the new remaster of Blue Spirits with. That disc (with the opening track now remastered for automobile stereo systems that promote deafness in young persons) is ... just not right.

Dance With Death is new to me and man it's really good. IMHO this one is the cream of the crop (I'm not counting Contours since I had it on the Mosaic).

A perfect combination of players for Andrew's music. Tolliver and Farrell are tight. I think Joe Farrell is taking the JoeHen ball and running with it.

Billy Higgins- the ultimate Blue Note drummer.

I have to say my other purchase (the Jack Wilson) underwhelmed me. I bought it because I'm a Lee Morgan junkie, and was curious about the combination of him, Jackie and Garnett Brown. The horns were fine but I got the feeling the material was a little under-rehearsed; the horns didn't seem to be overly passionate about the tunes (at times you can tell Jackie is turning off-mic as if to say "whassup?") which (IMHO) were fairly "generic" and not particularly distinctive, and Jack Wilson the pianist didn't do a lot for me, with all due respect. Did I miss something? Anyone out there in love with this session? I will say that once again Higgins kept things interesting, however.

I'd recommend this to Lee/Jackie completists but don't consider it essential.

The Hill, however, is essential! :tup:tup

Edited by Free For All

The UK had indeed a different copy protection sceme than the rest of Europe. This way I could compare the cd's with and without CC from the same (Uden, the Netherlands) factory for sound differences.

I guess now the UK has switched to CC as well.

Cheers,

Reinier

Really? I thought the system was introduced in both countries at the same time. Can you mention one or two titles which were issued with CC in Netherlands and without CC in UK? I'm just curious - it's not a test!

I used to buy Conns even if I had them on the Mosaic. I stopped a while ago - a combination of finances and the whole BNBB thing I guess.

Man, you have to be kidding....

Are you honestly saying that your support for a reissue program dedicated to lesser-marketable BN titles has dwindled because Blue Note/EMI decided that they had more important things to do than manage a bulletin board that--by the end there especially--had very little to do with their product?

That's ridiculous. You need to be supporting these artists, man. Similarly, purchasing these reissues helps fund a program that's making this music available to a younger generation.