Bill Frisell

Soul Stream

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill is one of a kind. Some of my favorite albums featuring him are Grace Under Pressure, with John Scofield, Bill Evans, with Paul Motian, and his own Nashville. I also have a couple albums that he put out in the early 90's, like Where in the World... which are pretty wild. Oh yeah, and the albums with Marc Johnson are classics, too. Bill has such a unique concept, and a very musical one at that. One of the greats for sure.

Count me in on the Frisell bandwagon! I was just listening to "Before We Were Born" this morning on the way to work. Has a really nice, varied mix of styles, as do many of his recordings.

Alot of folks will be quick to say he's "not jazz", but I'm not too concerned about that. I think he's a great player and creative talent, and I haven't found a bad recording of his yet.

I like alot of the "Americana" style music that he's been releasing, and have most of his later stuff (except for "The Intercontinentals - haven't grabbed that one yet). I also like what I've heard of his work with Paul Motian, and want to start exploring the John Zorn stuff pretty soon.

I'll strongly second Joe's recommendation of the Bass Desires albums as well! Great matchup with Scofield on those.

My favorite Frisell was his soundtrack to the TV Halloween special of Gray Larson's "Tales from the Far-Side". That was done with Wayne Horvitz and Joey Baron. He has resurrected some tunes with his violin and trombone band but never to the match of that stripped down score. Unfortunately it was only on once and I taped the wrong channel that night. :(

Has anyone heard his new release: "The Intercontinentals"? I heard a great cut on the radio that featured Vinicius Cantuaria. It better be good with Elektra now propping MSRPs close to twenty bucks!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I ordered "Ghost Town" and "Blue Dream(?, cant remember now, the one with the BW gas station cover). Any thoughts on these two? Should "Nashville" be next?

He did "Your Cheatin Heart" at the show, and the people went NUTS! Of course, I do live in Texas. ;) Sounded great though. And Kenny Wolleson was wonderful.

Yeah Aggie87, I forgot about the Zorn stuff. I used to listed to Naked City quite a bit. Now that's some wild stuff.

Soul, I can't comment on the two you mentioned, but like I said, I enjoy Nashville for sure. But if you aren't into bluegrass at all, you might want to listen to some samples first. The musicians on the disc are some of the top bluegrass/country cats, but it's Bill's warped take on that music. Some really nice stuff in my opinion.

Soul Stream...I'd watch this one (not mine and it's not tough to find)NASHVILLE. It's the next step I guess. I have a tough time with violins and trombones and wah wahs at the same time. His best with Zorn is by far "News for LuLu" and Lewis' trombone works!!

Also that mention of Robin Holcomb in that auction got me thinking to how good she really is. Maybe Norah could warm up for her on a tour.

Interesting. This album is the only place I've heard Robin, and frankly, I always skip the tunes she sings on. Always. Just can't seem to get into her warbley voice. Might just be me, though. There must be some reason Bill hired her.

hey Joe G, banjo was my first instrument (made it myself from a kit) as a kid! I was even kind of a local child "one to watch" around the bluegrass festivals of North Texas when I was little. Although I put it down long ago, Bluegrass is still my favorite kind of music in a way. Sounds like "Nashville" might be the one for me to get. Thanks for the help... :)

Has anyone heard his new release: "The Intercontinentals"? I heard a great cut on the radio that featured Vinicius Cantuaria. It better be good with Elektra now propping MSRPs close to twenty bucks!

I've got this. Though I've only listened to it a couple of times, it seems to me mellow and sweet. A grower, I think. Maybe sweeter than before. I like it.

Simon Weil

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear any Frisell I have been impressed with and therefore when it comes to buying albums on which guitarists appear, I often tend toward my favourites; Abercrombie, Krantz, McLaughlin etc. I suppose the ones with the 'crunchier' sound.

This was partly to blame; I attended a Kenny Wheeler gig a few years back when he was playing his Angel Song stuff and as Frisell couldn't appear that night, Abercrombie sat in.

I loved his playing and when I bought the CD at the show I was, dare I say it, disappointed when I listened to the album.

A short while later I tuned into the excellent radio show 'Late Junction' on BBC Radio 3 (weeknights at about half ten-ish). They had a large part of the show dedicated to Frisell; his contributions to other artists albums and his collaborations with Gavin Bryars etc.

The stuff they played smacked of overtly emotional 'Americana' and his take on a Madonna tune 'Live to Tell' basically irritated the bejesus out of me.

Jazzwise didn't think much of his last effort either.

SO, convince me there are some recordings out there where Frisell is really something else.

I have big open ears.

tonym,

Interesting that you mention Mclaughlin. Bill has often said in interviews that, when he was young, he tried very hard, and in vain, to play like John. Finally he realized that he was just not capable of that kind of speed, and needed to chose another avenue.

My recommendations are:

Marc Johnson, Bass Desires

John Scofield, Grace Under Pressure

Bill Frisell, Where in the World

John Zorn, Naked City

In that order.

p.s., Krantz is an unholy terror!

Edit: For something closer to straight ahead jazz, try the Paul Motian album called Bill Evans.

Edited by Joe G

Thanks, i was tempted by the Bass Desires a while back as i like Marc Johnson and Peter Erskine. Hate to say it but from what i have heard, i am not overly impressed by Scho.

I'll brace myself for a barrage of insults!

cheers, tony.

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear any Frisell I have been impressed with and therefore when it comes to buying albums on which guitarists appear, I often tend toward my favourites; Abercrombie, Krantz, McLaughlin etc. I suppose the ones with the 'crunchier' sound.

Frisell... smacked of overtly emotional 'Americana' and his take on a Madonna tune 'Live to Tell' basically irritated the bejesus out of me.

Jazzwise didn't think much of his last effort either.

SO, convince me there are some recordings out there where Frisell is really something else.

I have big open ears.

Well, Frisell has a particular sensibility which doesn't appeal to everybody. It didn't appeal to me for a long time (at least not on record. The first time I ever heard him was as featured soloist [i think] with the Mike Gibbs band [?late 70s] when he played scorchingly). There is something sideways and post-modern about his playing which put me off, until I decided I ought to listen anyway. And now I like it a lot.

I read that Jazzwise review. I thought it was written on auto-pilot.

Man, everyone thinks they have open ears (even me).

Simon Weil

tonym: I'll brace myself for a barrage of insults!

tonym, your mother dresses you funny. And you have BIG EARS!

Seriously, I'd agree with Joe's recommendations. Stylistically Frisell is difficult to pin down to any one thing. I guess lately he's been in his Americana bag more than the others, but if you want to try something relatively recent not so much in that vein, I'd also second ghost's choice - the one he did with Holland & Elvin.

Hate to say it but from what i have heard, i am not overly impressed by Scho.

You don't like Frisell and you don't like "Scho". I suppose next you're gonna tell us that you don't like Metheny. Then you shall feel my wrath! :rmad:

:P

Jazzmoose,

If that's meant to be a Lefty Frizzell (who I love) reference (and/or allusion to Bill's Americana turn), it'd help if they spelled their names the same.

As for Bill, I generally prefer his sidemen dates: News For LuLu, Bass Desires, Paul Motion, etc. Cf. Have a Little Faith, but since it's all covers it's like he's a sideman on his own album. None of his recordings have the telepathy I witnessed at a duet gig he and Joey Barron gave here a few years back.

Those who think he just does one thing are sadly mistaken, but I do find myself wishing for a little less atmospherics, just sometimes...

Edit: For something closer to straight ahead jazz, try the Paul Motian album called Bill Evans.

I have that one on cd-r[if anyone wantsa to sell their Paul Motain -TRIBUTE TO BILL EVANS cd, please email me]. Just can't find the real thing.

Great album!

Frisell is also very imaginagtive and very good on Ron Miles' Woman's Day and on Wheeler-Konitz-Holland-Frisell -- Angel Song, which sometimes gets shunned for being too much of an impressionistic album. I like it.

Great topic. I'll pick up a couple of the recommended Frisells.