Bill Frisell

Soul Stream

Have A Little Faith is a nice album. I like the Copland piece.

This last week I've been listening to Marc Johnson's The Sound of Summer Running. It's like an updated Bass Desires with Frisell, Metheny, and Baron. When it first came out, I didn't dig it all that much, I think that's because it didn't jibe with my expectations. But revisiting it, I find it to be a very good album. I spent a couple hours the other night learning one of the tunes. Now I can't get it out of my head!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just heard the album Frisell did with Jim Keltner and Viktor Krauss, "Gone, just like a train" - and I like it a lot. Higly polished, most of the time (sure fits Keltner), but often humorous, and lots of drive. "Post-modern" seems to be the right label for Frisell, if we need one.

Recently, I also found "Bass Desires", and then realized I have some more albums with him, as the first Joey Baron disc with Frisell/Blythe/Carter ("Down Home"). And also have I heard one of those duo gigs with Joey Baron, which was very good. They even played a standard (There Is No Greater Love).

How good is the album with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones?

ubu

How good is the album with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones?

ubu

It was pretty well reviewed, but on my couple of listenings, I didn't really like it. I thought it was a bit monochromatic. It does occur to me, now, that I found the "comeback" Gateway recordings (also with Dave Holland) like that, but on return listening found an awful lot going on under the surface.

I think Holland and Jones are an exciting team on Joe Lovano's "Trio Fascination" and I've also got an ancient tape of a radio braodcast with them and John Surman and Albert Manglesdorf which is really good.

In general, I don't think this is a particularly representative Frisell album. If you like the "post-modern" thing is Frisell, I think his duo record with Fred Hirsch is very worthwhile (though perhaps also not particularly representative).

Of the more recent records, I also like Marc Johnson's "Sound of Summer Running" which couples him with Metheny to gorgeous effect.

I guess I think his records for ECM are his "representative" ones.

Simon Weil

• 3 months later...

Up for some air...

I picked up a couple of Frisell items recently - Arild Andersen's "Molde Concert" on ECM, recorded in 1981. This appears to be one of Frisell's earliest recordings, and in addition to Andersen on bass, includes John Taylor on piano and Alphonse Mouzon on drums. Taylor plays well, but Frisell's playing is the highlight of the disc, IMO. Well worth picking up if you can find it.

I also got Don Byron's "Tuskegee Experiments", which I am really enjoying, but Frisell is not as front-n-center on this one.

And finally, I stumbled across Michael Schrieve's "Fascination", which places Frisell in an organ trio with Schrieve and Wayne Horvitz.

What a diverse body of work that Frisell's accomplished so far! I'm more impressed the more I read his discography...

Edited by Aggie87

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

up......

Bill has a new live album coming out on July 12th (not in June like it says on the below quote):

"East/West", the specially-priced double-live CD featuring Bill Frisell's two working trios will be released in June on Nonesuch.

"West", featuring Bill's trio with Viktor Krauss and Kenny Wollesen was recorded at Yoshi's in Oakland and includes a number of Frisell originals as well as versions of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" and "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall".

"East" features Frisell's other working trio with Tony Scherr and Kenny Wollesen. It was recorded at the Village Vanguard in New York City. The repertoire includes interpretations of "Lost Highway", "Masters of War", "What the World Needs Now", "Over the Rainbow", and "Paradox".

• 5 months later...

up......

Bill has a new live album coming out on July 12th (not in June like it says on the below quote): 

"East/West", the specially-priced double-live CD featuring Bill Frisell's two working trios will be released in June on Nonesuch.

"West", featuring Bill's trio with Viktor Krauss and Kenny Wollesen was recorded at Yoshi's in Oakland and includes a number of Frisell originals as well as versions of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" and "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall".

"East" features Frisell's other working trio with Tony Scherr and Kenny Wollesen. It was recorded at the Village Vanguard in New York City. The repertoire includes interpretations of "Lost Highway", "Masters of War", "What the World Needs Now", "Over the Rainbow", and "Paradox".

It's a very good album, though I find the end of the Vanguard set flags a bit (I'm not crazy about the amount of space given to Scherr's acoustic guitar there); but mostly it's a very strong set, especially the long tracks where they really dig in. But I was posting to say that the advance info on "East" is wrong: none of those tunes is on there (a pity, as it'd be nice to hear versions of them). Maybe a 2nd volume will emerge one of these days....?

Apparently they put all those tunes on "Further East/Further West", which I just discovered. These are additional tracks that are available for download only, from Bill's website.

I really like the East/West stuff. I just wish they'd release this other stuff on CD as well, I prefer real discs to CDRs and MP3s.

Apparently they put all those tunes on "Further East/Further West", which I just discovered.  These are additional tracks that are available for download only, from Bill's website.

I really like the East/West stuff.  I just wish they'd release this other stuff on CD as well, I prefer real discs to CDRs and MP3s.

At least they're offering flac files. They decode into a wav file.

That's a great list. As you said, many familiar names there (representing a broad range of styles), with quite a few I've never heard of.

Apropos to this thread:

The first part of this list highlights guitarists i've been lucky enough to play with whom i truly admire: ... Bill Frisell ...

Clem you're a moron and and fake and, unlike you, I''ve actually produced some music, I've actually MADE music with people like Julius Hemphill and Roswell Rudd, (how many bandstands have YOU performed on?) and I know when a musician is faking, like Cline is. And I also play the guitar (I know you play every instrument). I've seen him perform on several occassions; his interviews are impressive, he talks a good game, but has no reall understanding of the musical concepts he is trying to espouse. He has taken the shallowest aspects of open improvisation (as you have taken he shallowest aspects of musical criticism and pseudo stream-of conscious-newjournalist-b.s) and made a mannerist fetish of it all- hey, also like you. No wonder you like him so much. Really Celm, you can BS a lot of people here but I've known schmucks like you all my life, drop lotsa names and act like an intellectual wannabe and don't know your intellectual ass from their intellectual elbow. So buzz off I don't need the aggravation -

Edited by AllenLowe

While responding to Clem and his antics is easy to do, I think you are still missing out on this one. While you may play guitar and you may have performed with Roswell Rudd and Julius Hemphill (as you often mention) that doesn't make you the end all authority on the subject. I play guitar as well, I've even performed before. Do I get a final say on this as well? Clem's psychotic postings are bad, but so are your elitist posturings.