Old 97s

ralphie_boy

I happened to catch a live show of a band called the Old 97s over the weekend on Metro TV and was really impressed. I guess they'd fall into the Alternative/Country category. Dual Telecaster front-line with bass and drums.

Songs had some lyrical substance and nice hooks. Live, they kinda reminded me of The Replacements. I was suprised to find that they've been active for about 11 years and have several releases on indie and majors. Any fans out there?

I've got one of their recent discs, "Satellite Rides," and it's pretty high up on my list of current non-jazz favorites. I never thought about it before, but they do kind of remind me of an alt-country Replacements. Anyway, this one is closer to the "alt" than the "country," but it's a winner.

My only caveat is that there's a song called "King of all of the world" on this, and I can't help but think they cribbed the concept from "Titanic."

I have an otherwise musically trustworthy friend who really likes these guys, but I just haven't been able to get into them. I saw their lead singer here in DC on a solo tour he did, and I thought he was absurd. The kicker for me was when he did a tune he called "Oh, Erika" to the tune of "America." Wailing "Oh Erika, Oh Erika..."like a parody of a 70s rock star, and bobbing his head to shake his hairdo ala Rod Stewart, he just struck me as totally ridiculous. I've never been able to get that out of my head.