Martial Solal

sal

Martial Solal is one of the very best pianist around. The Village Vanguard date

was recorded on the week of September 11. I understand Martial Solal played

brillantly in front of a not very crowded Village Vanguard. Will get this as

soon as it is out here.

Nice to see you back here again, Brownie!

Yes, I must get this release too! A month or two ago I noticed that a press release from BN said "Blue Note recording artist Martial Solal", but no record had yet been announced on their beloved website by then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this one finally made its way to my door after having ordered it last month from CD Universe. For some reason it was backordered. Then they cancelled my order. Then I saw it listed on their website and added it to my order of June 10th releases and voila - it's here.

Fabulous, fabulous record. I really enjoy his approach and the way the band interacts. I've enjoyed Bill Stewart's work for some time - most notably with Scofield and on his 2 BN records but have never heard of Francois Moutin. Then again, I've never heard Solal before and the guy's like 75 years old. I've got to get out more often :wacko: That said I hope I'm this creative when I hit 75. Holy smokes - this guy's force on the piano.

This is one record that I can just sit in my stereo room and get into the zone - the lights down low and the music on real loud and just focus on one of the players and just dig the hell out of the interaction and and kind of get lost in the interplay between the rest of the band.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one record that I can just sit in my stereo room and get into the zone - the lights down low and the music on real loud and just focus on one of the players and just dig the hell out of the interaction and and kind of get lost in the interplay between the rest of the band.

YES! I do the same thing, though at medium or low volume (neighbors). This is just a fantastic album, one that almost restores your faith in contemporary jazz. Many good artists are coming out with new releases lately, it seems: Solal, Cyrus Chestnut, Crenshaw, Fountains of Wayne, Steely Dan... A nice coincidence, if a bit tough on the wallet.

I received my copy yesterday and gave it a spin for the first time about an hour ago. My first impression, like those posted above ----- great recording. And Solal for me has always been one of those who grows on me with subsequent listens, so I *know* I'm in for *great* fun with this one!

Solal's writing is notoriously tricky; I get the impression that Martial and the bass player are quite familiar with each other --- and huge kudos to Bill Stewart for melding with the two of them like he has on this session. This will be (like so many Solal recordings) getting a lot of air-time around my pad and in the car.

• 2 weeks later...