Baikida Carroll

John B

I spent last night listening to Door of the Cage and Marionettes on a High Wire for the first time in quite a while. I had forgotten how much I enjoy his writing and playing. These albums are very accessible, never veering too far from slightly free-ish bop. I think that a lot of people here would be fans of these discs if given the chance to hear them.

Is anyone else here a fan of Baikida's? I know I need to check out his other disc as a leader on Soul Note, Shadows and Reflections, but does anyone have recommendations for albums where he shines as a sideman?

Me too. I think you'll enjoy "Shadows and Reflections". Without checking to hard Baikida's on two Black Saint discs by Oliver Lake - "The Prophet" and "Clevont Fitzherbert". I've not dusted these lps off for a while so it's difficult to give a recommendation.

With LEO SMITH, my favorite trumpet player from this generation.

Best album, so far, is for me, SHADOWS AND REFLECTIONS, but DOOR OF THE CAGE and MARIONETTES ON HIGH WIRE are not far behind.

Check also the NEW YORK JAZZ COLLECTIVE on a NAXOS CD called I DON'T KNOW THIS WORLD WITHOUT DON CHERRY.

It features, besides CARROLL, MARTY ERLICH, FRANK LACY, MICHAEL FORMANEK MIKE NOCK, PHEEROAN AK LAFF & STEVE JOHNS.

It's an enjoyable meeting even if it's not as a strong work as his nominal records.

Edited by P.L.M

I have not hear a lot of Baikida Carroll, but what I have heard I enjoy a lot. The only official recording I have is Marionettes On A High Wire which thus far has been my primary introduction to Carroll. I do also have several radio broadcasts featuring Carroll in sideman appearances with musicians like Muhal Richard Abrams, Dewey Redman, Marty Ehrlich, Tim Berne and Julius Hemphill that are very impressive. For a while now I have been telling myself that I should investigate his music further. I am going to have to pick up some of the other titles mentioned in this thread.

Edited by relyles

I seem to remember an LP called Orange Fish Tears.

Anybody else remember this???

Yes. I have it and enjoy it at least a few times a year. It's a nice, 1974 French recording with Oliver Lake, Nana Vasconcelos, and a keyboard player whose name I can't remember now. Intense ...and trippy in parts.

As luck would have it, I picked up a used copy of "Marionettes on a High Wire" -- for only $8.00 (while I was in St. Louis a couple days ago). Had never heard of Baikida Carroll before, but I was very impressed with the disc. Very hard-blowing stuff, from both Carroll, and I was also very impressed with the tenor player, Erica Lindsay (a girl, no less!!), who I had never heard of before either.

A great disc that I look forward to hearing again soon (just gave it a spin on the drive back to Kansas City, probably listen to it again this weekend).

:tup

• 5 months later...

Thought I would bring this back up for air because the last couple of days I have been listening to hisSoul Note releases, Shadows And Relections and Door Of The Cage. Two highly recommended recordings with terrific writing. One of the things I really noticed this time around is just how much out the "tradition" Carroll's trumpet playing is. On these recordings he has an edge, but not too far out.

...I was also very impressed with the tenor player, Erica Lindsay (a girl, no less!!), who I had never heard of before either.

You should check out Lindsay's solo effort called Dreamer. It features Howard Johnson, Robin Eubanks, Francesca Tanksley, Anthony Cox, and Newman Baker. you can order it directly from her website, or get a used copy from second spin for only 6.99.

here are the links: erica lindsay second spin

c53663869if.jpg

btw, i very much enjoy carroll's work. i own the two black saints, the omnitone, and the naxos collective. all strongly recommended.

Edited by jazzshrink

• 10 years later...