Ron Burton

Bright Moments

I just finished listening to RRK's excellent "The Inflated Tear" for about the hundreth time and this time I was appreciating the piano work by Ron Burton.

I can't seem to find out anything about him. AMG is worthless and he doesn't seem to have been a leader on any albums.

Do any of the teeming millions (arcane cecil reference) know anything about this fine pianist?

B-)

Thanks!!!!! B-)

from AMG:

Rahn Burton

A fine pianist who began playing professionally in Louisville during the '50s. He started with Rahsaan Roland Kirk in 1953, and toured with him through the Midwest six years. One of Kirk's earliest Argo albums included a Burton composition. Burton toured with George Adams playing organ in the mid-'60s, following engagements in New York, Syracuse and Louisville, then worked in Atlanta with Sirone. Burton rejoined Kirk in the late '60s, playing with him until the mid-70s and making several recordings. He formed his own band, the African-American Connection, in the early '70s and has continued heading them at various points. He's played and recorded with Michael Carvin, Stanley Turrentine, Leon Thomas, Carlos Garnett, Hannibal Marvin Peterson, Charlie Rouse, Adams and Beaver Harris. ~ Ron Wynn, All Music Guide

• 2 weeks later...

I came across another interesting Ron Burton recording in my collection--Blue Brass Connection, Cool Affairs. It also features George Adams, Graham Haynes, Paul Zauner, Cameron Brown, and Ronnie burrage. It's from 1991 on Amadeo.

this one was very good! :)

thanks for the recommendation!

it' a shame this ensemble didn't put out any other cds! :mellow:

i think i'll file it under ron burton (otherwise i'll never find it iagain in my collection)! :P

Oh, sorry! I think I made a few comments in the rat. In short: I haven't been overwhelmed, but it's a good one, all in all. As there are Hannibal, Adams, and Sco, there ain't that much solo space for Burton, but the marvellous duo he and Adams play is great even if it's all for Adams, solo-wise. Will have to listen to it a couple of times...

ubu

Rahn Burton is also on this one:

Beaver Harris 360 Degree Music Experience 'Beautiful Africa', a 1979 session for Soul Note. He is in excellent company (Grachan Moncur III, Ken McIntyre, Cameron Brown and Harris).

Burton's composition 'Aladdin's Carpet' is on the album.

An excellent date!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

really, the best atmosphere to hear ron burton in, is on the kirk early 70's shows. some of those are being treed on the miles list, kirk list, etc. i'm sure that kirk was very disapointed when he had to replace burton in late 1973.

why did RRK "have" to replace burton in 1973? :mellow:

does anyone know if RRK "had" to replace burton & why?

:huh:

really, the best atmosphere to hear ron burton in, is on the kirk early 70's shows. some of those are being treed on the miles list, kirk list, etc. i'm sure that kirk was very disapointed when he had to replace burton in late 1973.

why did RRK "have" to replace burton in 1973? :mellow:

does anyone know if RRK "had" to replace burton & why?

:huh:

I looked at the biography of RRK that I have, appropriately titled BRIGHT MOMENTS, and could find no mention of RRK being compelled to get rid of Ron Burton. But there was an interesting paragraph concerning his wife's penchant for disrupting musical performances with her overly enthusiastic responses, to the extent that she had to be controlled during a recording session. I assume you, of all people, have this biography. Let me know if you need more specifics than the summary I gave above.

• 6 months later...

I just found "The Inflated Tear" when digging in the crates at my local record shop. What a purchase. I cannot believe no one told me about this record before. The extremes on this record are just mind-shattering - from the yelling and clocks on "Tear" to the beautiful song for Rory. This was an amazing man.

And on the liners on the back of the record RRK lists Eric Burdan and the ANIMALS as people he respected as much as Duke Ellington and his bandmates.

Thank you RRK for making beautiful music.

Please make other recommendations for Kirk albums. I heard he went off the deep end at one point.

cannonball-addict