Ron Burton

Bright Moments

I just found "The Inflated Tear" when digging in the crates at my local record shop. What a purchase. I cannot believe no one told me about this record before. The extremes on this record are just mind-shattering - from the yelling and clocks on "Tear" to the beautiful song for Rory. This was an amazing man.

And on the liners on the back of the record RRK lists Eric Burdan and the ANIMALS as people he respected as much as Duke Ellington and his bandmates.

Thank you RRK for making beautiful music.

Please make other recommendations for Kirk albums. I heard he went off the deep end at one point.

cannonball-addict

pulled this one out and gave it a spin today - AMAZING!!!

:excited:

I just found "The Inflated Tear" when digging in the crates at my local record shop. What a purchase. I cannot believe no one told me about this record before. The extremes on this record are just mind-shattering - from the yelling and clocks on "Tear" to the beautiful song for Rory. This was an amazing man.

And on the liners on the back of the record RRK lists Eric Burdan and the ANIMALS as people he respected as much as Duke Ellington and his bandmates.

Thank you RRK for making beautiful music.

Please make other recommendations for Kirk albums. I heard he went off the deep end at one point.

cannonball-addict

pulled this one out and gave it a spin today - AMAZING!!!

:excited:

One of my all time favorites--no doubt. I remember the first-spin thrills--it was dull dusk, the food was warm, and I was laughing like an idiot. It was just so beautiful.

I'll second the enthusiasm for the Harris album (above--brownie)--there's some fine playing all around. Any chance to hear McIntyre and Moncur is a golden one. Also to note: there's a fine version of 'Love and Hate.'

Edited by ep1str0phy

I just finished listening to RRK's excellent "The Inflated Tear" for about the hundreth time and this time I was appreciating the piano work by Ron Burton.

I can't seem to find out anything about him. AMG is worthless and he doesn't seem to have been a leader on any albums.

Do any of the teeming millions (arcane cecil reference) know anything about this fine pianist?

B-)

All's I know is he turned up on a gig a friend of mine had around 8 years ago. A place called Copeland's, around in Harlem for years. I remember sitting in with them but not much about his playing on that 'piano'. Anyway, he was alive and playing then. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Edited by fasstrack

Here are two with Ron/Rahn Burton that I have on LP and like alot:

George Adams/Paradise Space Shuttle (Timeless)

Jemeel Moondoc/Nostalgia in Times Square (Soul Note).

found, bought and listened to the moondoc. quit enjoyable, thanks!!! :)

now if only i could find the george adams! ;)

Did you ever find the George Adams? I picked it up on vinyl when it first came out. It's really worth searching for!

Did you ever find the George Adams? I picked it up on vinyl when it first came out. It's really worth searching for!

I believe that George Adams, Paradise Space Shuttle is available on CD from Timeless.

Guest akanalog

i would like to echo brownie's comment re: "beautiful africa". definitely worth a purchase. for those still mourning jackie mac's death, there is a version of moncur's "love and hate" on this one, which you all know, i am sure.

the moondoc is also a good one in a crazy sort of way. crazy just because no one seems to be totally in the same key. though the songs are great and the playing is good too.

• 1 year later...

Rahn Burton is also on this one:

Beaver Harris 360 Degree Music Experience 'Beautiful Africa', a 1979 session for Soul Note. He is in excellent company (Grachan Moncur III, Ken McIntyre, Cameron Brown and Harris).

Burton's composition 'Aladdin's Carpet' is on the album.

An excellent date!

just enjoyed this one - thanks brownie!!!

:)

yes i did get the george adams- a friend from this board helped me out. :tup

quite good!!

:)

• 3 years later...

Another thread I hadn't known about - makes me want to pull out some of the albums mentioned above. And this seems like as good a place as any for this story:

I saw Burton play in 1988, with the Hamiet Bluiett Big Band at Carlos I in NYC, the night that Bluiett fired Don Byron. The "big band" was actually nine pieces, IIRC. I do remember that the band outnumbered the audience. Byron was playing clarinet and alto, and unleashed Bluiett's wrath by talking to the tenor player during one of Bluiett's solos. Bluiett cut the band off and went into a sermon: "Every one of them (pointing to us audience members) is more into the music than you are!" At some point Burton started playing gospel licks behind him, and the rest of the rhythm section joined in behind the sermon, which got more and more heated. The climax came when Bluiett pointed to each band member and listed their accomplishments. "Joe Daley - played with Sam Rivers! Rahn Burton - Rahsaan Roland Kirk! Victor Bailey - Weather Report!" Pointing to Don Byron: "You - nobody!" The band left the bandstand except for Byron, who sat in shock for a few minutes, then slowly started putting his horns away.

We waited for about 45 minutes to see if the band was going to play again. Joe Daley was standing outside as we were leaving, so we asked him what was going on - he didn't have any idea. It was a great 30 minutes of music, followed by the most uncomfortable floor show I've ever seen.

Edited by jeffcrom

I saw Burton play in 1988, with the Hamiet Bluiett Big Band at Carlos I in NYC, the night that Bluiett fired Don Byron. The "big band" was actually nine pieces, IIRC. I do remember that the band outnumbered the audience. Byron was playing clarinet and alto, and unleashed Bluiett's wrath by talking to the tenor player during one of Bluiett's solos. Bluiett cut the band off and went into a sermon: "Every one of them (pointing to us audience members) is more into the music than you are!" At some point Burton started playing gospel licks behind him, and the rest of the rhythm section joined in behind the sermon, which got more and more heated. The climax came when Bluiett pointed to each band member and listed their accomplishments. "Joe Daley - played with Sam Rivers! Rahn Burton - Rahsaan Roland Kirk! Victor Bailey - Weather Report!" Pointing to Don Byron: "You - nobody!" The band left the bandstand except for Byron, who sat it shock for a few minutes, then slowly started putting his horns away.

We waited for about 45 minutes to see if the band was going to play again. Joe Daley was standing outside as we were leaving, so we asked him what was going on - he didn't have any idea. It was a great 30 minutes of music, followed by the most uncomfortable floor show I've ever seen.

Floor show? Hell - you saw LIVE THEATER!!!! :g

Another thread I hadn't known about - makes me want to pull out some of the albums mentioned above. And this seems like as good a place as any for this story:

I saw Burton play in 1988, with the Hamiet Bluiett Big Band at Carlos I in NYC, the night that Bluiett fired Don Byron. The "big band" was actually nine pieces, IIRC. I do remember that the band outnumbered the audience. Byron was playing clarinet and alto, and unleashed Bluiett's wrath by talking to the tenor player during one of Bluiett's solos. Bluiett cut the band off and went into a sermon: "Every one of them (pointing to us audience members) is more into the music than you are!" At some point Burton started playing gospel licks behind him, and the rest of the rhythm section joined in behind the sermon, which got more and more heated. The climax came when Bluiett pointed to each band member and listed their accomplishments. "Joe Daley - played with Sam Rivers! Rahn Burton - Rahsaan Roland Kirk! Victor Bailey - Weather Report!" Pointing to Don Byron: "You - nobody!" The band left the bandstand except for Byron, who sat in shock for a few minutes, then slowly started putting his horns away.

WOW! Great story! Thanks for sharing!!!

:tup