Lee Katzman

jlhoots

Don't see much about this trumpeter.

I've always thought the World Pac. LP led by Pepper Adams called Critics Choice featuring Katzman should be issued on CD.

Just found a CD called Lee Katzman Meets Supersax.

Has Jimmy Rowles on piano.

I've listened several times and really like it.

Try it if you see it.

• 3 years later...

I've always thought the World Pac. LP led by Pepper Adams called Critics Choice featuring Katzman should be issued on CD.

Try it if you see it.

Time someone replied to this post! Listening today to Pepper Adams' The Critics' Choice (available since 2005 on EMI Mighty Quinn CD), I was struck by the confident, distinctive soloing of Lee Katzman on the three tracks on which he appears. As Ted Panaken, the 2005 sleeve note writer, says:"Katzman's declarative , witty solo[ing], unencumbered by technical limitation, makes you wonder why he didn't become a bigger name on his instrument." I wonder why, too! A quick survey of my record collection found him on two discs only - Stan Kenton's Back to Balboa and the Terry Gibbs Dream Band's One More Time, where I initially mistook his solos for Conte Candoli's! I hope he's still with us; Ted Panaken refers to him as "the date's last survivor". He would appear to be the classic underrated jazz musician. Anyone know any more about him?

Try it if you see it.

Time someone replied to this post! Listening today to Pepper Adams' The Critics' Choice (available since 2005 on EMI Mighty Quinn CD), I was struck by the confident, distinctive soloing of Lee Katzman on the three tracks on which he appears. As Ted Panaken, the 2005 sleeve note writer, says:"Katzman's declarative , witty solo[ing], unencumbered by technical limitation, makes you wonder why he didn't become a bigger name on his instrument." I wonder why, too! A quick survey of my record collection found him on two discs only - Stan Kenton's Back to Balboa and the Terry Gibbs Dream Band's One More Time, where I initially mistook his solos for Conte Candoli's! I hope he's still with us; Ted Panaken refers to him as "the date's last survivor". He would appear to be the classic underrated jazz musician. Anyone know any more about him?

BillF,

Katzman is on a large number of big band recordings by Stan Kenton and some others too.

In a small group setting the choices are very limited. Apart from the Pepper Adams already mentioned are these two that I have on CD.

Bill Holman - Jive For Five - VSOP

Jimmy Rowles - Jazz In A Weather Vane - VSOP

I Googled Lee Katzman & got a lead that he had performed at the Celebration of the Arts Festival festival in Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_o...e_Arts_Festival

The festival has a website http://www.cotajazz.org/ Perhaps the current status of Mr. Katzman could be ascertained by communications therein.

Well hey, guess what - I was looking at LPs at a Salvation army today and came across one by the Baja Marimba Band. I looked at it on both sides to see if the "there's a guy taking a leak on every one of their albums" thing was true (didn't see it on this one), but the trumpet player was none other than Lee Katzman.

So hey.

• 1 month later...

Just received True Blue's catalog which includes Lee Katzman Meets Supersax: "Trumpeter Katzman is the main soloist and wrote 6 of the 11 tunes on this 1982 collaboration with Supersax."

Anyone heard this one? What are the 5 other tunes? Can you recommend it?

Just received True Blue's catalog which includes Lee Katzman Meets Supersax: "Trumpeter Katzman is the main soloist and wrote 6 of the 11 tunes on this 1982 collaboration with Supersax."

As I said in the first post in this thread in 2004, I have this CD & like it.

The other 5 tunes are:

Bossa NoNo (Med Flory)

Trentino (Pepper Adams)

Body & Soul

BeBop Love Song (Bill Holman)

Embraceable You

As I said in the first post in this thread in 2004, I have this CD & like it.

The other 5 tunes are:

Bossa NoNo (Med Flory)

Trentino (Pepper Adams)

Body & Soul

BeBop Love Song (Bill Holman)

Embraceable You

Thanks jhoots!

• 3 weeks later...

Have now got Lee Katzman Meets Supersax and find the following information in the liner notes which links in with what's already been said in this thread:

"Recordings featuring Lee Katzman:

Jive for Five, Bill Holman (Andrex Records)

Critic's Choice, Pepper Adams (World Pacific Records)

Jazz in a Weather Vane, Jimmy Rowles (Andrex Records)

Back to Balboa, Stan Kenton (Capitol Records)

Skabadabba, Bob Dorough (Pinnacle Records)

Bill Holman Great Big Band, Bill Holman (Capitol Records)

Live at the Summit, Terry Gibbs Dream Band (Verve Records)"

• 2 years later...
  • 9 years later...
On 6-11-2010 at 3:21 PM, brownie said:

Will jump on this one when it comes out (soon, let's hope) by Blue Jack Records:

lee_katzman.jpg

An unreleased 1963 session with Teddy Edwards, Jack Wilson, Leroy Vinnegar and Nick Martinis.

Seems the session never came out there but since a few years it's up on spotify, apparently self-produced and imho it's every bit as good as one might have hoped

71wSbCItMJL._SS500_.jpg

edit: it's not just on spotify, also on youtube, most of it at least

Edited by Niko

Footnote to my comments above:

I didn't like Katzman's playing on the Supersax album so sold it on. As I recall, his playing seemed technically flawed, which certainly wasn't the case on the Critics' Choice album. Perhaps his playing deteriorated with age. He was 29 on the earlier album and 52 on the later one.

But let's be optimistic! I now have this new Spotify discovery to listen to, with Katzman in his 30s, so I'm hopeful! :D

Edited by BillF

played this several times over the day, for me it's quite an amazing find... a classical Hard Bop session that almost nobody played in its first few years on spotify and youtube... imho it can really compete with similar albums from that period like those from the Carmell Jones Select... hard to go wrong with Teddy Edwards, Jack Wilson and Leroy Vinegar in 1963 I gues

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:08 PM, Niko said:

played this several times over the day, for me it's quite an amazing find... a classical Hard Bop session that almost nobody played in its first few years on spotify and youtube... imho it can really compete with similar albums from that period like those from the Carmell Jones Select... hard to go wrong with Teddy Edwards, Jack Wilson and Leroy Vinegar in 1963 I gues

So glad you referenced this on the Curtis Amy/Don Randi thread as I certainly missed all references to this until now. Looks awesome, can't wait to hear new Teddy Edwards doing his thing with Jack Wilson. Even if the trumpeter isn't so hot how bad can it be. Thanks Niko.

Don’t know if it’s on Spotify, but Katzman fans might want to track down and check out this live date recorded at Keystone Korner around 1980:

Lee Katzman Quartet: Naptown Reunion

... today is Katzman’s birthday, btw. Chicago-born and grew up in Indianapolis, so he’s a name that comes up among the small coterie of Indiana jazz history devotees.

27 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Don’t know if it’s on Spotify, but Katzman fans might want to track down and check out this live date recorded at Keystone Korner around 1980:

Lee Katzman Quartet: Naptown Reunion

... today is Katzman’s birthday, btw. Chicago-born and grew up in Indianapolis, so he’s a name that comes up among the small coterie of Indiana jazz history devotees.

I seem to remember reading that he studied at your university, David.