Guilty Pleasures

Big Al

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

Backyardigans (it's a kids' show that my son loves, but I think I may like it even more than he does and am always disappointed when he says How about Little Bear instead, Dad?)

I love The Backyardigans! There's some great songs on it.

Saw The Carpenters mentioned earlier in this thread--Karen Carpenter had a great voice.

My guilty pleasure? West, Bruce and Laing.

I like Buddy Greco!

The vocalist or the pianist? A few years ago, I made contact with a Buddy Greco fanatic. He had taken a bunch of Benny Goodman broadcasts and put them onto CD. I had all of it on vinyl, so I bought them as a shortcut (since my vinyl and turntable are in deep storage). Bought them for Wardell Gray. But this cat (seller) was really into Buddy Greco.

When I was doing interviews for the WG biography I was working on, I went by his supper club, hoping to catch him for an interview.

Edited by BeBop

About a year ago i caught one of the Twilight movies on TV and got completely hooked, rented the rest of the available films on DVD in quick succession and then saw the final film at the cinema.

Adventure Time

Come to think, I don't feel guilty about that at all.

I love watching Adventure Time with the sound off while listening to music. The visuals are awesome.

Jamiroquai

I love the first three albums. I think I recall reading the departure of their bassist resulted in their sudden decline.

Lenny Kravitz. Can't help it, high school memories.

The first three albums are excellent. I bought the recent 2-disc bonus versions of these albums. There's some good live tracks among the bonus material. Funny you mention the bass player since that's one of the main reasons I keep coming back to these albums. The bass lines are wicked good!

I like Buddy Greco!

The vocalist or the pianist? A few years ago, I made contact with a Buddy Greco fanatic. He had taken a bunch of Benny Goodman broadcasts and put them onto CD. I had all of it on vinyl, so I bought them as a shortcut (since my vinyl and turntable are in deep storage). Bought them for Wardell Gray. But this cat (seller) was really into Buddy Greco.

When I was doing interviews for the WG biography I was working on, I went by his supper club, hoping to catch him for an interview.

BeBop, I saw him at a private Las Vegas party about 1985, and he was everything I remembered him to be from the '60s. I suppose I'm not aware of anything particularly unique about his playing, but it was quite good.

Lately my guilty pleasure has been buying and reading the cheap reprints of DC comics I liked when I was kid, before I went off to Africa. So far I've gotten the Challengers of the Unknown (Kirby and Wood for a good portion), Adam Strange and Hawkman.

I remember liking the Challengers, not sure how it would hold up. I read through a bunch of Marvel reprints a few years back. It was fun, though much of it is obviously ridiculous from a modern adult perspective.

Edited by Jerry_L