Guilty Pleasures

Big Al

Inspired by deus62 admitting how much he loves Frampton Comes Alive, as well as Jazzmoose's confession to liking Simon & Garfunkel, what skeletons are in your closet?

Here's mine: Foreigner's Double Vision. I know it's cheesy as hell, but it was one of the first rock records I ever bought, and if I didn't associate it so much with a great childhood, I'd probably hate it like everyone else!

How about you?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got nearly every CD by 80's New Wave darlings The Fixx.

That includes three or four legit live albums (who knew they had so many???), and four or five studio albums from after they left MCA (meaning material recorded in the 90's, and even since 2000.

Plus, of course, nearly their entire run on MCA in the 80's --- which is what they're really known for by the general public, pretty much exclusively.

:ph34r:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

hall and oates!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLYEAH!!!!

And I am a rabid Monkees fan, too! Every now and then, I'll go a couple of weeks where all I listen to is Monkee music! Heck, I even think their movie (HEAD) is the greatest rock&roll movie ever made, and is in my personal top five favorite movies!

I'm also a sucker for the Ventures. Especially their work from the 70's when they were no longer popular. Man, talk about some cheesy stuff, but it works for me. Did you know they did an album of Carpenters covers? Betcha didn't give a rats ass, either, I'll betcha. But I looooove it! :wub:

OK, I pulled out some Carpenters this summer. And dammit, I enjoyed it. So sue me. :mellow:

I think it was because I recently watched this really lame made-for-TV movie about the Carpenters. You know, it's late and you need to go to bed and then this lame thing starts and before you know it you've watched the whole damn thing. It sucked big time, but it made me want to revisit some of their music.

I have to admit, a lot of the multitracked choral backgrounds sound good.

Good voicings and nice production. And yes, a generous serving of cheese.

I've got nearly every CD by 80's New Wave darlings The Fixx.

That includes three or four legit live albums (who knew they had so many???), and four or five studio albums from after they left MCA (meaning material recorded in the 90's, and even since 2000.

Plus, of course, nearly their entire run on MCA in the 80's --- which is what they're really known for by the general public, pretty much exclusively.

:ph34r:

Wow...I've got the vinyl of Reach the Beach still, but...wow! I didn't even know they stayed around that long!

Guilty pleasures....hmm...I've got some Kenny G. discs, but after Simply Said I stopped... ;)

I love the sound of the voices of The Corrs. Their recordings are overproduced, full of unnecessary electronic effects. The songwriting is often weak. But those voices...

I'm thinking of offering my services to guide them into a more suitable style for a discriminarting audience. They can come to my house, though it's quite small so the brother might have to stay in Drogheda.

Other guilty pleasures - Gino Vannelli and Michael McDonald

Same here. Got each and every one that's out on CD.

Plus the Michael McDonald Soundstage DVD (quite nice, actually). Plus the Doobies Box.

Add to that Lyle Lovett, and we've got a small corner of my collection I often turn to.

My real guilty pleasure is Danish Pop and Rock music from the 80s and 90s. I have tons of it. I wonder if anyone has ever heard of any of these? Sneakers, Sanne Salomonsen, Moonjam, Toesedrengene, News, Thomas Helmig, Halberg-Larsen, various spin-off groups, and, and, and. I think I have pretty much the entire catalog, plus tons of other bands. Took me I don't know how many years of hunting around second-hand shops in Copenhagen (and there are plenty of those) to duplicate my LP collection on CD.

There are still two CDs I'm missing, and that's it. One was available once (I saw it, held it in my hands and decided to buy it later that day ... since then it has disappeared off the map and NOBODY lists it anywhere as ever having been released ...) the second one had such a limited run that I've not been able to find a single person actually even admitting to having one.

Man, talking about "Guilty pleasures". If I think about it, I probably used several weeks of my life in shops hunting just for this stuff.

Cheers!

Clive Cussler novels

- I think I've read Iceberg & Raise The Titanic about 5 times a piece.

All Godzilla & various other TOHO monster films

- I grew up with these and I'm especially fond of the newer films: Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, All Out Monsters Attack, etc

Frosted Strawberry Pop Tarts

- Right up there with Twinkies on the nutrition scale...but YUM

Hammer Films (ANYTHING with Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee)

- I first started watching these when I was around 10, used to stay up late to watch "Friday Fright Night" and I fell in love with movies like Dracula Has Risen From The Grave & Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

80's Heavy Metal

- Slayer, Savatage, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Trouble, Kreator, Celtic Frost, Venom, etc, etc...

Hollywood Musicals

- Singin' In The Rain was the first movie I ever remember seeing and I've probably watched it 20 times over the years...I'm also a huge fan of Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ain't no such thing as a "guilty pleasure." You likes what you likes. If other people have a problem, they can go fuck themselves. I like Paul Simon. I like (early) Rod Stewart. I love Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and a ton of stuff that would make other people my age (33) retch. Do I care? Not a bit. "If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington.

" Leave It To Beaver" The first, last and maybe only sitcom where the father actually had some dignity, had a room full of books, and was often shown reading! Imagine that! When I'm channel surfing, I'll often stop at "Beaver," it's a wonderful world to get lost in for 30 minutes.

If my son is watching, I'll usually join him when he's watching Yu-Gi-Oh. The concept is ludicrous, the marketing blatant, the voice-acting so over-the-top, it's one of those so-bad-it's-good. We went to see the movie with the plan that he would watch and I would sleep (Hey, five bucks for a 90-minute uninterupted nap is worth every penny). Trouble is, I got into the spirit of a child seeing his favorite TV show on the big screen, and actually watched the first half-hour before sleep kicked in. It's hard not to laugh at this stuff!

We now play Uno Attack, Yu-Gi-Oh style. "I summon my blue-7 card of DOOM, which forces you to push the Infinite Button of Torment and MISS YOUR TURRRRRRN!!!!" Much fun! :tup

" Leave It To Beaver" The first, last and maybe only sitcom where the father actually had some dignity, had a room full of books, and was often shown reading! Imagine that! When I'm channel surfing, I'll often stop at "Beaver," it's a wonderful world to get lost in for 30 minutes.

HELL yeah! That was a great series! Thing is, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about liking it.

In fact, that's the thing---most or all the pleasures of mine that some might think SHOULD be guilty I don't have the slightest guilt or embarrassment about. Life is short; if you like something, wallow in it and other peoples' standards can go hang.

Just my take.