Guilty Pleasures

Big Al

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, kind of embarrassing, but...

- Some of Frankie Valli's songs. (Really. ;))

- Those English sci-fi shows with marionettes that were so popular during the 60s. (I was a big fan of Super Car and Fireball XL5.)

- Tom Baker as Dr. Who.

- The Dr. Who theme song music (from the Tom Baker era).

- Sardine and tomato sandwiches. (Picked up habit at a sandwich shop in London.)

- "The Purple People Eater."

- Sappy Brazilian, Cuban (etc.) love songs.

- Surf guitar, a la Dick Dale.

- Johnny Hallyday. [just kidding!]

Edited by seeline

- Those English sci-fi shows with marionettes that were so popular during the 60s. (I was a big fan of Super Car and Fireball XL5.)

Fireball XL5! Hah. Now there's a blast from the past. :excited:

I thought it was very cool. Super Car was made by the same people, but apparently it only ran on a handful of stations here in the US.

I LOVE APPLEBEE'S WINGS MADLY.

(Applebee's Accused Of Making Fat Asses

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/st...da-2030f855223e

TAMPA, FL -- Restaurants often claim to have low calorie meals or things on their menus with half the fat. But our two month investigation back in May found that some restaurants making those claims aren't always serving up what they advertise.

Now, a customer has hired an attorney to put the restaurant and weight loss industry on notice.

It's known as your 'neighborhood grill' but Applebee's Restaurant is accused of being not such a good neighbor.

Applebee's parent company and Weight Watchers are accused in a 27 page lawsuit of making low fat claims about meals, often loaded with fat and calories.

This follows an ABC Action News investigation from May, when we worked with sister stations in seven different cities around the country. We bought and tested seven meals, claiming to be low in fat and calories from Applebees Weight Watchers' menu. And the results were not always what the restaurant claimed they would be.

While the calorie difference was slight, the fat was over on every item we tested, doubling and even tripling in three of the meals!

That's why a northeast law firm filed a class action suit on behalf of consumers across the country.

Lawyer Alison Foster said,"This lawsuit is really about the false advertising, where people bought something that was advertised different than what they thought they were getting."

They claim the entrees on Applebee's special Weight Watchers section are listed as 'healthy menus' but often "inaccurately represent the caloric and fat content of the food at issue."

"It's sort of a betrayal--it's taking advantage of people who want to pay attention to their health and instead selling them something that's going to hurt them," Foster said.

Meanwhile, Weight Watchers says "the company does not comment on current litigation."

And an Applebee's spokesperson said, "We take claims about our Weight Watchers menu

seriously. We believe variation between listed and actual food nutritional content is inevitable. We are reviewing the claims, but we don't think they have merit."

During our investigation six-months ago, ABC Action News purchased low fat, low cal items at some of the most popular restaurant chains and put them to the test.

Following our labs instructions, each menu item was placed in a ziploc bag, labeled, packed on ice, shipped, and tested for caloric and fat content at EPA certified AnalyticalLaboratories in Boise, Idaho.

Test results showed the cajun lime tilapia meal on the menu at Applebee's, which was supposed to have six grams of fat, instead had 12-grams of fat!

Also, the italian chicken and portobello sandwich was supposed to have six-grams of fat, but tested three times that with 18.6 grams!

"We want to have an informed consumer," registered dietician Nancy Holder said from

University Community Hospital. She analyzed our findings and suggested that viewers think about what they're eating.

"What is concerning is that what they're presenting as being healthful meals really have more calories and fat than the individual might think," Holder said. )

I love Franki Valli and the Four Seasons! No, more than that, I think they were one of the greatest!

Sherry

Big Girls Don't Cry

Walk Like a Man

Rag Doll

Let's Hang On

and then You're Just Too Good to be True

COMPLETELY beyond reason. 1962-65 must have done a number on me!

And even better? Dion and the Belmonts!

Edited by It Should be You

Lots of the records I like OUGHT to be guilty pleasures - but I just don't feel at all guilty about loving, for example, Sonny Criss' disco albums.

MG

As you shouldn't!

I try not to feel guilty about anything, if I like it then I like it and the world be damned! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Captain and Tenille's "Muskrat Love," and I don't care who knows it! I have literally put this song on "repeat" for an entire afternoon and it's a little slice of heaven. So what if the lyrics are the dumbest ever? Toni Tenille's voice and the electric piano at JUST the right volume and it's bliss for me!

Captain and Tenille's "Muskrat Love," and I don't care who knows it! I have literally put this song on "repeat" for an entire afternoon and it's a little slice of heaven. So what if the lyrics are the dumbest ever? Toni Tenille's voice and the electric piano at JUST the right volume and it's bliss for me!

So were you singin' and jingin' the jango?

:huh::wacko:

Muskrat Love????

I don't know if I should give you a hug or kick your ass! ;)

I will admit that Toni Tennille has a great voice. I heard her sing the national anthem once (live), and was quite impressed.

But, that song sucked when it came out, and it still sucks. :P:w