Stanley Cowell on SteepleChase

B. Goren.

The Stanley Cowell recording that made me a fan and provoked an interest in investigating his music further is the 1996 SteepleChase recording, Here Me One. Its a quartet date with I believe Bruce Williams on alto. The playing is strong throughout, but I think what really hooked me was the memorable compositions. As I have now learned, Cowell is a very good composer.

Had a chance to hear Cowell live a couple of years ago in a quartet with Charles Tolliver, Cecil McBee and Billy Drummond. One of the most memorable performances I have ever experienced and Cowell was the highlight of the concert.

A kind suggestion for you to stay away from...

31349.jpg

...the Cowell album/CD on Steeplechase called "Setup" (from 1993). The trombone player on the date has some serious intonation problems on this date, that are often very distracting. And (IMHO) it was a pretty 'off-day' for Eddie Henderson and Rick Margitza both. Found a used copy on CD a couple years ago, and after I gave it a chance (and probably listened to it half-a-dozen times), I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

I know, I know -- "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". But seriously, this release really should have had more rehearsal time, or something. The date just did NOT click at all for me (and in this case, I really think it was the date's fault, and not mine).

That said, I've loved nearly everything else I've ever heard from Mr. Cowell.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My recommendation is not from Steeple Chase (sorry :( ) and maybe you already have heard it but I think it's worth mentioning his "Maybeck Recital". Original interpretations to standards and pop songs. A solo record which doesn't loose interest (a drawback common IMO to many solo recordings, even the great ones that I happen to enjoy, like the "Virtuoso" series by Joe Pass). The range of compositions is wide and includes the challenging "Nefertiti" by Wayne Shorter.

Not all of Stanley Cowell's CDs did a lot for me. I just sold a few that I considered dull.

The three Steeplechase CDs I kept and that I would recommend by Cowell are:

Sienna (trio session)

Departure #2 (trio session)

Angel Eyes (solo piano)

Not too long ago the Japanese Venus label put out a very good trio CD by Stanley Cowell called "Dancers In Love".

There are also two very nice Cowell trio CDs on the D.I.W. label.

Close To You Alone

We Three

Peter F

A kind suggestion for you to stay away from...

31349.jpg

...the Cowell album/CD on Steeplechase called "Setup" (from 1993). The trombone player on the date has some serious intonation problems on this date, that are often very distracting. And (IMHO) it was a pretty 'off-day' for Eddie Henderson and Rick Margitza both. Found a used copy on CD a couple years ago, and after I gave it a chance (and probably listened to it half-a-dozen times), I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

I know, I know -- "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". But seriously, this release really should have had more rehearsal time, or something. The date just did NOT click at all for me (and in this case, I really think it was the date's fault, and not mine).

That said, I've loved nearly everything else I've ever heard from Mr. Cowell.

Sadly, I concur. I had it and sold it ... Rooster, perhaps you were the buyer!

My recommendation is not from Steeple Chase (sorry :( ) and maybe you already have heard it but I think it's worth mentioning his "Maybeck Recital". Original interpretations to standards and pop songs. A solo record which doesn't loose interest (a drawback common IMO to many solo recordings, even the great ones that I happen to enjoy, like the "Virtuoso" series by Joe Pass). The range of compositions is wide and includes the challenging "Nefertiti" by Wayne Shorter.

Concur again, this one is a winner!

The Cowell Piano Jazz broadcast, also on Concord, is pretty neat listening too, especially where Cowell reminisces about Tatum regularly coming to his family's house for dinner.

Marian McPartland's interviewing style sometimes bugs me, sometimes not (and the Cecil Tayor broadcast is so damn funny as to be legendary in my book), but she's not overly "Marian-esque" on this one. It was a good show.