Great vinyl on eBay

Shrdlu

Thanks.

Here is another amazing lot of LP's. EBAY

Imagine coming into possession of a collection like that :excited:

I don't think I could part with it, even with the temptation of realizing big bucks for it on EBAY. There's a whole lot of great music there. That would be a hard decision- MUSIC or MONEY? Which would you pick?

I've bought from Anthony in the past. He's a good guy and I think he has taken constructive criticism and improved the grading of his LPs (which was never all that bad given E-Bay standards). I've liked what I've gotten, and the one time I had a problem he was fantastic about dealing with it. He gets fabulous stuff and usually waits to have large auctions like this one.

If I may, my unofficial 'feedback' on Anthony Pearson: He's one of the best.

A.P. recently tightened-up his grading and def wants to keep the customer happy. I recently returned an LP and told him exactly where the blems were -- he checked and there was no argument. Pearson consistently finds/consigns the coolest jazz collections. He's got lots of regular customers and only an occasional LP will go unbid. (That says alot.) And just check the closing bids -- the man definately 'brings home the bacon'! He's got 'tak-san' heavy-hitting customers from Japan. If your win ratio is one-for-five you're doing pretty good.

By comparison, the previously-mentioned Ebay auction of Eggbert (?) consists mostly of 'commons' which will be lucky to fetch single bids for half the listings. It'll be fun to watch how both these postings close.

By comparison, the previously-mentioned Ebay auction of Eggbert (?) consists mostly of 'commons' which will be lucky to fetch single bids for half the listings. It'll be fun to watch how both these postings close.

But still worth a look, for some people. There might be the odd thing that they want. If I had the dinero, I would get the Hodges, and I would also like the two Solid State "Jazz For A Sunny Afternoon" (sic) LPs.

I guess in terms of price it depends on where you live. I have seen most of the titles he lists around Detroit for anywhere from a thrid to half what he's asking. But there are at least five stores there, so the competition is pretty stiff.

On the other hand if you live in a area where the net is your only option, i guess they got you.

(That says alot.) And just check the closing bids -- the man definately 'brings home the bacon'! He's got 'tak-san' heavy-hitting customers from Japan. If your win ratio is one-for-five you're doing pretty good.

If you are competing against "buy at any cost" competitors, and you do manage to win, you might actually be losing, on the theory that the "winning" bidder at any auction is the person who is willing to pay above-market pries. Above-market since no one else is willing to match the bid. Now, if the auction is taking place somewhere on earth where old Blue Note LPs are not known as valuable objects (is there still such a place?), then maybe the market values can be considered unrepresetnative. But on EBAY, where there is a huge market of knowledgeable and affluent buyers , if you still prevail, you probably arent' getting a bargain, and might, indeed, be paying too much. There are other factors to consider, of course, including personal satisfaction, a hope for future appreciation, etc, but on pure market value, especially in today's hot market, the high bid might in the end be the losing bid.

Very astute analysis, and I fully agree if one gets sucked into the bidding frenzy. With so many heavyweight pieces being offered by Pearson, I usually bid on lesser, non-Blue Note items. Let the big boys slug it out on the NY Blue Notes.

My rule of thumb: "If you walked into a used record store and this LP had just come in the door -- what would you offer on-the-spot?" That should be your high bid on Ebay.

Thanks for the link guys.

I bought Cecil's Unit Structures NY Mono, Van Gelder pressing from anthonypearson for $37.00 -

vinyl: "near mint/excellent+"

cover:"vg++"

I have had good luck with "avant garde" vinyl in the past because pepole bought the records "because no collection is complete without ________" instead of purchasing the music to listen to. I hope that will be the case with Unit Structures. Again, thanks for the link