I DON'T WANT SEARCH

Shrdlu

We have been one of many who have had an unwanted "guest" on our computer.

It is from "iwantsearch.com" and it installs itself on the PC and gives you an unwanted taskbar near the top of all windows, including Internet Explorer. It also sets up their website as your browser's home page, and re-sets it every time you change it back to the one that you really want.

An annoying, rotten thing, that robbed us of several hours.

Anyway, removal is simple. Here's what did it for us:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uninstall Instructions:

To uninstall newest version of IWantSearch plugin

please go to START -> Settings -> Control Panel -> ADD/Remove Programs and Uninstall "SBSoft"

To uninstall the older version of IwantSearchPlugin please click on the following link http://www.iwantsearch.com/uninstall/remove.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy uninstalling!

By opening this thread, you just gave me all your password details! :D

Here's a second for adding AdAware and/or SpyBot. They're both free, and they both work quite well.

AdAware has a new version out now - SE. Like I said, it's free, and it's a no-hassle program.

Hell yes! :tup

I just threw that stuff on my girlfriend's machine.

Her computer was all glogged up with shit that her teenage son had clicked on at one time or another.

Much, much better now.

Yes, but until recently (Internet Explorer versions up to 5.5 I think) it was only possible to disable ActiveX and Javascript together. ActiveX is generally not often used on websites (one of the few useful ActiveX applications is Windows Update) and not supported by Netscape or Mozilla, but many websites rely on Javascript. So the users had to enable both in IE.

In Internet Explorer 6, ActiveX can be deactivated or restricted seperately (Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet options --> Security --> Custom level --> Run ActiveX controls --> set to "disable" or "prompt")

Edited by Claude