Kraftwerk

BeBop

I never seem to tire of this band, though I suppose some might find their music to be 'tiring' (repetitive, hypnotic...).

The 'Tour de France Soundtracks' are particularly compelling to me, for personal reasons. But I've been enjoying 'Trans-Europe Express' since it came out, many years ago.

Any other fans out there? Am I the only person to put Kraftwerk on his/her 'Desert Island Disc' list? And what other band is quite like it?

For whatever reason, Neu! has never done much for me, but I could probably benefit from more listening time.

I never seem to tire of this band, though I suppose some might find their music to be 'tiring' (repetitive, hypnotic...).

The 'Tour de France Soundtracks' are particularly compelling to me, for personal reasons. But I've been enjoying 'Trans-Europe Express' since it came out, many years ago.

Any other fans out there? Am I the only person to put Kraftwerk on his/her 'Desert Island Disc' list? And what other band is quite like it?

For whatever reason, Neu! has never done much for me, but I could probably benefit from more listening time.

Cluster baby.

I haven't listened to them in years. I think of picking up a disc of theirs once in a while, but never seem to think of them when I'm actually in a music store. I had Trans Europe Express once years ago, and actually had an 8 track of Autobahn back in high school. I tell, you, that is the album the 8 track format was created for....just let it run for hours and uh..."meditate". :wacko:

I like the early stuff sometimes - I and II in particular. I used to have a really cool edition of Ralf & Florian with a gold-imbossed design on the cover that looked like an electric circuit, and a bizarre picture of them gazing into each other's eyes on the back. Hawked it on eBay a couple years back when I was hard up.

Tonefloat was sort of interesting, too.

I've never liked the later synthy stuff, not even Autobahn.

Ah... Kraftwerk!

I have so many GREAT memories with their music as a soundtrack. :g

Back in my crazy trippin' days, I spent MANY nights coming down to Kraftwerk.

My favorite album of theirs is the MAN-MACHINE. I always loved the track "Metropolis" - I'm surprised that people don't mention this album much.

My second favorite album of theirs is RADIO-ACTIVITY.

I also dig the earlier stuff (which I have on vinyl), but I could never really get into AUTOBAHN.

• 1 year later...

Wasn't here when this topic came around the first time.

Always've loved these guys - thru the various incarnations -

since the Organization days. ALL of the stuff I could get my hands on

for the past 35 years: 8-tracks, LPs, cassettes, books, posters, T-shirts, CDs, DVDs, downloads...

even a promo cassette of "Techno-Pop" which was never released and various versions

(German and American) of the other recordings.

I've seen them, I think, 4 times now - starting in the mid 70's.

In high school, I used to drive the rednecks CrAzY with this music! :lol:

Do you have this great Notebook version of Minimum-Maximum?

Great stuff!

Thanks for bringing them up again,

Rod

Edited by rostasi

I bought Minimum Maximum when it first came out...and it's been in my mailbox ever since. Someday, I'll get off the road long enough to pick it up.

I'm working my way backwards - Ralf and Florian, Kraftwerk 2, Kraftwerk, Organisation... and finding the evolution of the group pretty interesting.

I bought Minimum Maximum when it first came out...and it's been in my mailbox ever since. Someday, I'll get off the road long enough to pick it up.

I'm working my way backwards - Ralf and Florian, Kraftwerk 2, Kraftwerk, Organisation... and finding the evolution of the group pretty interesting.

Yeah, it'd be nice if the first three were re-released - officially, that is -

with nice sound, etc. Supposedly Ralf and Florian will get around to it someday,

but the first two albums had a different feel and maybe a different approach is

wanted when it comes to cleaning 'em up. There are some CD boots out there of this stuff,

but it'd be nice if some cleaned up versions would surface.

Don't know if you have the time to sit down with the DVDs of M-M,

but you'll notice an even more laid-back pastoral feel to all of

these great songs being performed in concert.

The visuals they use now have a smoother feel - less jerky -

a gliding feel with lots of old footage of German railway lines,

Tour de France visuals, etc. It may be just because they're just older guys now.

Of course, Kraftwerk has almost always emphasized beauty in their music -

beautiful melodies without being maudlin or cloying.

Normally reculsive, here's Ralf Hutter doing an interview

with the annoying BBC DJ Gary Crowley back in '03:

Hutter interview (24:28 / 23 MB)

Rod

I've heard all of Kraftwerk's output, but as far as german electronic music goes I've always preferred the darker sounds and more complex compositions of Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream (70's only for the latter).

I think a large part of Kraftwerk's success is due to excellent marketing (the human robot image). Since the mid 80's, they've been recycling their earlier work for the most part (remixes, live album, etc). Surprisingly, fans still have to wait for CD reissues of the very early albums and remasters of their most successful recordings.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I love Tour de France on two different levels, a as a superb album and b as an ex cyclist and follower of road racing they seem to have really captured the feel of pro tour racing

Hi I love Tour de France on two different levels, a as a superb album and b as an ex cyclist and follower of road racing they seem to have really captured the feel of pro tour racing

While I've not ridden any of the pro tours, I can still agree from my somewhat less-lofty perspective. It's a real inside-your-head and -body experience.

• 6 years later...

...nor is the third album, but you've got an exhibit

somewhat like the one in München last September

and another limited edition release of the "Catalogue"

collection with releases 4 thru 11. Unfortunate the

way that MOMA handled the ticketing of the shows.

®ø∂

---

Now playing: Ton Steine Scherben - Fieber

I've heard all of Kraftwerk's output, but as far as german electronic music goes I've always preferred the darker sounds and more complex compositions of Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream (70's only for the latter).

I think a large part of Kraftwerk's success is due to excellent marketing (the human robot image). Since the mid 80's, they've been recycling their earlier work for the most part (remixes, live album, etc). Surprisingly, fans still have to wait for CD reissues of the very early albums and remasters of their most successful recordings.

i completely agree, claude.

the first kraftwerk, autobahn, was a knockout. after that, they went pop and never fulfilled their potential.