Rhapsody Films

ajf67

I was at a showing of Straight, No Chaser last night at the American Film Institute here in DC, and Rhapsody Films had a table set up with a number of their DVDs. Their site is here.

They had a lot of different artists available. Ornette Coleman, Bill Evans, Mingus, Elvin Jones and others. I picked up a double feature of a Sonny Rollins live performance from 1973 in the Netherlands that also has a Ben Webster documentary called Big Ben: Ben Webster In Europe. I haven't watched it yet, so I can't report on its quality.

The Ben Webster is really excellent - a fine bio and lots of insight into his time in Holland and Denmark and the expat life. I have a video taken from a 1980s TV showing (I think it is called 'Ben Webster - The Beauty and the Brute') which has lots of excerpts from this documentary feature (interviews with the Dutch landlady etc). 'Beauty and the Brute' runs about 80-90 minutes I think (my tape runs out before the end :rmad: ). Recommended !

I've actually got two of these Rhapsody DVDs on order from Amazon UK. The 'Sonny Criss LA All Stars' (which has had rave mention on a previous thread) and the film based on Bird's last few months with the Mal Waldron soundtrack. I'll likely order more, starting with Jaki Byard/Elvin Jones. Should get the first 2 over the next few days.

The new releases look highly interesting - look forward to seeing them in PAL format shortly (hopefully).

Edited by sidewinder