BBC Jazz broadcasts online

David Ayers

As I mentioned BBC Radio 3 the other day I thought people might be interested in this online service where you can hear the latest broadcast of the BBC's various jazz programs.

BBC Radio 3 Player

Start by checking out Jazz Legends - a great survey of Pepper Adams.

PS The playlists ARE posted, but soemtimes arrive a week or two after the broadcast goes out...

Edited by David Ayers

:lol::lol::D

Close , but not quite

Jazz on 3

Fridays 23:30 - 01:00

Jazz on 3 is BBC Radio 3's contemporary jazz show. Jez Nelson presents the pick of today's jazz recorded live in concert, talks to the leading players, reviews new CDs and revisits the tradition through in-depth features.

Last On...

Friday 10 September 2004 23:30

Jez Nelson introduces the cult Chicago saxophonist Ken Vandermark's School Days, plus highlights from free jazz godfather Evan Parker's US tour.

Coming Up...

Friday 17 September 2004 23:30

Jez Nelson presents a performance by Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel and his trio, featuring superstar Brian Blade on drums. Plus a tribute to the great drummer John Stevens.

Yes , its the original broadcast of that show that led me to start sniffing around the funny rat thread. A magnificent set.

I have a minidisc at the ready every Friday night.

Funny, same here - Friday night is the weekly broadcast on swiss radio, as well.

So the online recording of the Jazz on 3 show is available right until the new one is up? Do they change right after the actual broadcast occurs?

:lol::lol::D

Close , but not quite

Jazz on 3

Fridays 23:30 - 01:00

Jazz on 3 is BBC Radio 3's contemporary jazz show. Jez Nelson presents the pick of today's jazz recorded live in concert, talks to the leading players, reviews new CDs and revisits the tradition through in-depth features.

Last On...

Friday 10 September 2004 23:30

Jez Nelson introduces the cult Chicago saxophonist Ken Vandermark's School Days, plus highlights from free jazz godfather Evan Parker's US tour.

Coming Up...

Friday 17 September 2004 23:30

Jez Nelson presents a performance by Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel and his trio, featuring superstar Brian Blade on drums. Plus a tribute to the great drummer John Stevens.

This kind of fare reminds me of classical stations where you tune in to hear great musicians and orchestras and you get Milton Fenwick on piano with the Sheboygan Symphony.

It's why I don't use the radio much, and we have to fork out for our private collections. (A good exception is the NPR stations with jazz at night.)

When I was a teenager, you could hear lots of the top players on the radio, and I learned a lot from that.

Australia used to have some great guys on their non-commercial radio: Eric Child, Kym Bonython and Arch McKirdy played a lot of top stuff. Kim used to get all the new Blue Note LPs and "introduced" me to the likes of Horace Silver and Joe Henderson.

By all means give relative unknowns a go, but what about the greats?

I'm not against them, or you, Ubu. But I am tired of jazz and classical stations that hardly ever play music by the ones that are regarded as the all-time greats. I expect to hear Trane, Miles, Pops, etc, and on a classical station, the people like David Oistrakh and Artur Rubinstein.

Dead musicians gig less well. The BBC plays this stuff on other broadcasts. Jazz on 3 is dedicated to recent live performances.

Record these when I can too (through my freeview box). The Muthspiel was a great gig since I was there so will definitely be recording this

what's the sound quality like on the freeview box, better than FM ?

Jazz on 3 is a great source of quality modern jazz, we're lucky to have it.

Late Junction and Mixing It are also great resources for the curious - eclectic programs with world music, improv, turntables and electronica and even jazz all thrown into the mix.

Just listening to a little Otomo Yoshihide on Mixing It - he is the proverbial bomb!

Edited by David Ayers

This is another good programme on BBC Radio Scotland. Should keep those 'expecting to hear the greats' happy. Same archive system as the BBC in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotlan...how.shtml?bebop

Latest playlist:

15 / 19 SEPTEMBER

FIRST HOUR

C WHY DON’T YOU DO RIGHT

CD MOJO

Take Four- 49 Essential Tracks

McCoy=Chappell-Morris=Na Disc 2 Band 7

MOJO/EMI=07243 4 73075 2 2

MARK MURPHY

C PUT ON TRAIN

CD Live At The It Club Vol. 2

Monk/Higgins=Na=Na Band 2

BLUE NOTE=7243 5 23997 2 5

GENE HARRIS & THE THREE SOUNDS

C HERE’S THAT RAINY DAY

CD Jazz Jubilee

Burke/Van Heusen/Morris=Bourne/ASCAP=NA Band 4

MARTINE AVE PROD=MAPI1521

DUDLEY MOORE TRIO

C POMPTON TURNPIKE

CD Historic Carnegie Hall Concerts - Birth Of A Legend

Rodgers/Osbourne=Na=Na Band 12

GIANT STEPS=GIST 011

OSCAR PETERSON

C FERDINANDO

CD Les Tresors Du Jazz

Blakey=Na=Na Disc 28 Band 9

LE CHANT DU MONDE=574 1273

BUDDY DeFRANCO

C GIRL FROM INPANEMA

CD Finest Hour

Jobim/de Moraes/Gimbel=Na=Na Band 11

VERVE=490 669-2

ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM

C GEORGIA ON MY MIND

CD Jazz Moods – ‘Round Midnight

Gorrell/Carmichael=Na=Na Band 4

COLUMBIA LEGACY=516428-2

BILLIE HOLIDAY

C LUSH LIFE

CD The Life Of A Song

Strayhorn=Tempo/ASCAP=Na Band 3

TELARC JAZZ=CD-83598

GERI ALLEN 08.11

C GOT TO GET BACK TO LOVE

CD The Essential George Duke

Duke=Mycenae/ASCAP Disc2 Band 11

COLUMBIA LEGACY=516191-2

GEORGE DUKE

SECOND HOUR

C SHIMMERING

CD Libera Me

Danielsson=ACT/GEMA=Danielsson Band 6

ACT=ACTSACD 9800-2

LARS DANIELSSON

C TAKE YOUR TIME, CHANGE YOUR MIND

CD Under The Munka Moon

Russell/Holland=Full Thought=Na Band 10

TRU THOUGHTS=TRUCD 046

ALICE RUSSELL

C DRAGONET

CD Novo Tempo Meets Eurasian Suite Volume 2

Ozaki=Na=Na Side AA Band 2

NOVO TEMPO/EURASIAN SUITE=ESEP 004

KOICHI OZAKI

C EVERYTHING HAPPENS TO ME

CD Too Hot - The Best of British Jazz

Miller/Godrey=Lawrence Wright=Na Disc 1 Band 6

CASTLE=CMETD 992

JOE HARRIOT QUARTET

C GOT MYSELF A GOOD MAN

CD MOJO Take Four- 49 Essential Tracks

Whitfield/Strong=Jobete=Na Disc 3 Band 11

MOJO/EMI=07243 4 73075 2 2

PUCHO & THE LATIN SOUL BROTHERS

C CHANGING WOMAN

CD Black Is …

Na=Na=Na Band 7

COUNTERPOINT=CRCD024

FERTILE GROUND

C A LOVE SUPREME

CD Stolen Moments – Red Hot + Cool

Coltrane=Jowcol=Na Disc 2 Band 2

IMPULSE!=GRP97942

ALICE COLTRANE

Sorry, no. They only keep for one week, but don't know what time they cycle. I'm sure they'll tell if you email.

Shrdlu's idea of a jazz show may be better met by Helen Mayhew's new show from midnight until 3am on Sunday morning - the publicity promises some classic names, though the first tune last week was George Benson, albeit quite jazzy Benson.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to hear the greats, and so many broadcasts in recent years, in various countries, have disappointed.

I listed a small sample of names that are great. There is no question. And the young 'uns, who may not have heard the greats (in any kind of music), need to hear them as part of their musical education - and also because it is a groove to hear the best.

Once again, no disrespect to currently active musicians.

Anyway, that's why we have LPs and CDs at home.

Funnily enough, I was talking to a cousin who lives in London, England, on the phone last night. She has a lot of contacts and her daughter is a professional singer. "Do you want to be on the BBC?", she asked. So watch out, you may hear the Shrdlu Show! Then the greats will be heard, some Japanese reissues included. :D