Mingus Atlantic Reissues

porcy62

Interesting thread. I haven't joined because all the mingus I have are later-pressing Lps of the Atlantic material, and I haven't compared them with other copies. I have never been impressed with Atlantic recordings from this period either (as someone above posted), particularly the stereo ones, so I haven't been too fussy about getting the originals. In fact, I haven't bothered really trying to get early Atlantics because my hopes are so low sound-wise. I bought a mono copy of Coltrane's "My Favorite Things," but found the sound still wasn't so hot, just didn't have the ultra separation the stereo does (still one of my favorite albums though).

I do have an original mono copy of Mingus on Candid, and I've never been tempted to even try the CD. Glad to hear I don't have to! As soon as I'm done listening to Fred Anderson, I'm going to stick it on.

Also, Porcy, I can't say enough about We Insist!. I have an original mono copy too and it is dynamite. Anthony Pearson had one on E-Bay during his latest sale, and I hope someone here got it.