Anyone ever tried building their own tube amp?

J Larsen

Being fairly proficient with electronics, and having access to just about every imaginable tool, I've been toying with the idea of trying to build my own tube amp. Has anyone else tried this? The literature on the subject appears to be very sparse. It would be great to have someone to exchange ideas with. Thanks.

Thanks, RDK. That looks like a good way to go. Maybe a couple hundred bucks more than I had in mind, but definately affordable all the same. To be honest, I really was originally thinking of building something completely from scratch, but I guess that is unrealistically ambitious for my first attempt. All the same, are you aware of any good sources on the theory of amp design? I've had a hard time finding much of anything. I don't like just going by a recipe. I like to understand why I'm doing something the way I'm doing it, if you know what I mean. Thanks a lot!

I would honestly recommend building an amp offered by www.decware.com I've had a number of tube amps in my home, and none that was as wonderful sounding as the Decware amps; I have two: a Revision A amp (a dinosaur now as they have for the last three years or so been Revision C) and a Select. I haven't assembled either from the kits offered, but they do sell kits and have EXTENSIVE assembly information including online pictorial assembly instructions. The sound is awesome!

I googled "tube amp kits" a while back, and while I found a few links to kits, I was able to surf into a ton of stuff on do-it-yourself audio of all sorts. I didn't find a whole lot of theory stuff, but there was a little. I should have saved all the links, but after having to reformat my hard drive last month...

It seems like there is a fair amount of DIY interest on the board! Thanks for all the info. I've heard of the Decware Triode amp before. As I recall, Lon Armstrong swore by that amp on the BNBB. At this point, the Bottleneck Foreplay pre-amp and Decware Triode are sounding like a good way to go. Once I start understanding the theory better, perhaps I can start doing my own tweaks.

On a related note, my girlfriend's father built his own speakers and found it to be a very rewarding experience. Has anyone around here tried that before?

Jazzbo IS Lon Armstrong and they both recommend the Decware!

The beauty of the Decware is that you don't NEED a preamp; you can run your source right into the amp and adjust volume. . . unless you have a turntable in use, in which case you'll need some form of phono preamp. I haven't used a preamp in five years and don't miss one. I get better sound without one than with one. Plus. . . I've heard two persons with Bottlehead preamps say they are rather noisy stock. . . so just thought I would mention that.

Looking at the online instructions for the kit make me think even I MIGHT be able to assemble this. . . .

https://athena.safe-order.net/decware/zkit02.htm

Edited by jazzbo

J, I'll second Lon's recommendation of the Zen. I have one as well (though i didn't build it as a kit). If you have any experience at all it should be easy enough to construct. The Bottleheads (especially the Foreplay preamp - is it still only $150?) is designed for the beginner. I've also heard it matches well with a Zen. ;)

Ray