CBBB - OPEN DOOR (Muse 5056)

JSngry

Yes, I really like the McRae collaboration (though I hardly think it's HER best work!) 

The Rearward cs from Italy are very nice!  (Only the Strauss is really a Clarke Boland Big Band date; the others are small group sessions with personnel drawn from the band).  They come in a sort of pressboard digipak with a separate booklet that is bound and packed with pages. Wonderful cd sound too and great performances!  There is also a jewel case cd from them of a Karl Drewo lp that is "sort of" a CBBB small band date.

I've slowly accumulated several of the Rearward sets--all phenomenal. I actually bought the Sahib Shihab on a lark some ways ago... I was shocked at how good it was. Stellar repertoire, deft solos, and phenomenal sound quality make for some terrific listening. Shihab has always been the surprise of the CBBB for me--wonderfully versatile and quite idiosyncratic. An underrated baritone for sure... his trenchant, exciting solos on the Rearward set could be the highlight of the series.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shihab double LP set is the only one of this series that I am still missing. All of these releases ('CBBB Kinda Strauss', 'Bags & Jaws', 'Clarke-Boland Sextet' are hugely enjoyable and sound wonderful (up to SABA standards). I'll have to get hold of that Shihab ASAP.

Edited by sidewinder

I have been carefully trying to collect all of the CBBB (and offshoots) material for more than twenty years ... it can be frustrating trying to locate this material, but as many of you have indicated, some of this great music is now appearing once again ... (By the way, the Hamilton-Clayton Big Band continues very much in the CBBB tradition, and their work is highly recommended to those of you who have not listened to this aggregation.) Just to add to the salavation level, here is a scan of the Rearward CDs discussed above ....

Edited by garthsj

I've picked up a few of the more onscure CBBB items on LP of late. The Supraphon disk (with half of the 'Folk Songs' session on it) and also the Italian Movie Themes release on Campi. Both of those are absolutely top notch.

Also well worth reissuing are the 3 Francy Boland titles under the heading 'The Orchestra', put out by MPS after the CBBB had disbanded. Similarly, the Benny Bailey 'Mirrors' is another top-notch Boland orchestra session.

Anybody have an idea of what is on that limited edition two cd set Campi put out, long out of print?

Lon, I was fortunate to find this cheaply. It was my introduction to the CBBB and I was very impressed. I became a fan instantly, the various soloists are just superb.

Anyway, I am now in the office but will try and remember to check the contents when I go home.

Damn, I dug the set out last night and forgot to bring it to the office this morning. Will try and do so tomorrow. The set I have is called 'Historically Speaking' and is sub-titled 'The Campi Years'. It comes in a heavy metal box with a very informative and entertaining booklet styled like a magazine. The original price was DM 140 which is equivalent to almost 70 Euros I believe, so it was pretty expensive. I paid less the $20.

Anyway, I assume this is the set you mean Lon. By the way, there is a good CBBB discography where all the information is contained, but it would take a while to piece it all together.

http://www.uni-duisburg.de/AVMZ/frohne/discos/clarke.htm

Well, here is a brief version of what is on the set.

CD1

1) Four tracks from 'The Inferno Suite' (1967).

2) Five tracks from 'The New World Session' (1963).

3) Three tracks from 'The Faces Suite' (1967).

4) Four tracks from the 'Sax No End Session' (1967).

CD2

1) Ten tracks from the 'All Smiles and 'More Smiles' sessions (1968-69).

2) Four tracks from the 'Folk Song Sessions' (1967).

3) Five tracks from 'Gyson's Session' (1967). These may only be available in this set.

Anyway, I hope this is useful.

Sidewinder, I think it was released on CD only, according to the label on the box on December 15th, 1993 as a limited edition of 1,000 and a hefty price, as I mentioned above, of DM 140. It is a real nice set though.

The copy I have is the only one I have ever seen.

Edited by JohnJ

Just checking out the Duisburg discography, this one looks novel:

CLARKE-BOLAND-SEXTETT 65-0925

Sahib Shihab (fl), Francy Boland (p), Jimmy Woode (b,voc), Kenny Clarke (dr), Fats Sadi (bongos,marimba,vibes), Joe Harris (perc),

Alter Bahnhof, Rolandseck, (D) 25.9.1965

Invitation (4:35) CBS S 62681

Just Give Me Time (3:35) -

Con Alma (4:55) -

Serenata (3:20) -

Sconsolato (2:35) -

Yah, Yah (4:00) -

BornTo Be Blue (3:35) -

Insensatez (2:40) -

Calypso Blues (4:05) -

Balafon For Marcel Marceau (3:04) -

ISSUES: entitled MARCEL MARCEAU präsentiert SWING IM BAHNHOF mit dem CLARKE-BOLAND-SEXTETT

Clarke/Boland meets Marcel Marceau.. :o:crazy:

What's the story behind this one?