EMI Reports Drop in Sales

Leeway

Saw a small announcement in today's Washington Post business section that EMI Group announced a 13% drop in music sales.

They report music sales are "slumping" and said "the market will continue to drop, hurt by competition from other leisure products and piracy. "

And this with Norah too! Perhaps does not bode well for that little old subsidiary of EMI, Blue Note.

I lost my job in January, so I haven't been buying much at all. I had already slowed down quite a bit back as early as October or November.

Still, much of what I was buying was OOP titles on eBay - stuff I would have loved to have bought 'new', if I could have.

Also, I tend to buy 'used' as much as I can. For jazz, that means not very many titles, cuz I don't find much of a good selection of used jazz in this town. But I try to get all the rock and pop titles I can used, whenever I can (or at least the major-label stuff).

I'm always buying locally produced stuff (the true independents) whenever I can - and I have even bought a few of them after the job loss. Every sale counts for those folks, and I'm glad to try to do my part.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My buying hasn't slowed down at all, though I desperately want it to. In my case, I buy most stuff used; in fact the only new cds I buy are the RVGs and Conn Series whenever they are reissued. I might stop upgrading all my RVGs as it gets so costly, but I am often able to trade in my older versions in the local stores.

My regular contributions to the cause have not diminished either! My wife even broke down and bought a Blue Note CD by some new artist called Nellie Jones or something...

I'm pretty sure it's Nellie Jordan, Tod. My wife has it and enjoys it. Apparently this Jordan character is the daughter of someone named Ronnie Shoncar, though I'm not sure why this is so important. :wacko:

Saw a small announcement in today's Washington Post business section that EMI Group announced a 13% drop in music sales.

They report music sales are "slumping" and said "the market will continue to drop, hurt by competition from other leisure products and piracy. "

And this with Norah too! Perhaps does not bode well for that little old subsidiary of EMI, Blue Note.

Are you talking about music sales in general or EMI Group sales?

If EMI is worried, they can always re-issue Beatles #2 or #3. :lol:

For music in general, it just might mean there's nothing new worth buying.

What would you recommend to the general public? (besides Norah Jones) :excited: