Rock On...

tonym

I'm assuming there are lots of rock fans amongst us and during today i've had the urge to listen to a couple of my favourites.

So, when it comes to big slabs of Strat and throbbing bass lines what are your all-time classic rock albums?

Doesn't matter about sub-genre; Prog, Nu, Heavy, Poodle --- just give me some responses.

BTW. mine have to be (in no order):

Soundgarden - 'Superunknown'

Led Zeppelin - 'Physical Graffiti'

Black Sabbath - 'Vol. 4'

Radiohead - any

Smashing Pumpkins - 'Siamese Dream'

Helmet - 'Betty'

Veruca Salt - 'American Thighs'

Blind Faith - 'Blind Faith'

cheers, tony.

With the exception of Jimi Hendrix (who I still love), practically no rock music from the late 60's or any of the 70's does anything for me any more. (A possible exception might be the occasional Jethro Tull album here and there.)

My wife is really into the whole "retro-80's" thing lately, so I've selectively caught that bug myself. We were both in our teens all thoughout the 80's (she was born in '67, I in '69), so it's difficult not to be nostalgic for some of that music. I'm not really into the really cheezy American pop from the 80's, but I do find that I like the slightly edgier Brit-pop from the 80's, more than I care to admit. Again, I know it's purely a nostalgia thing. I'm a little embaressed to mention that I have nearly every "The Fixx" album ever released on CD - but they kinda grew on me a couple years ago, in a way I never expected.

But as far as Rock music more recent than the 80's, I do rather like Nirvana every now and then (and I think Cobain was a great songwriter), and I secretly like The Foo Fighters a lot, when I hear them on the radio. (I don't own any "Foo" CD's, but when they come out with the inevitable Greatest Hits CD, I'm sure I'll buy it.)

Although not entirely considered Rock, there are a number of relatively recent "power-pop" groups I like quite a bit, like almost everything Matthew Sweet has released, and also Ben Folds Five, or Folds' two recent "five-less" releases.

I know, practically none of this is really Rock. What do I like that really is Rock????

Radiohead is really outstanding in my book, and I look forward to each new release of theirs with baited breath.

Interpol, while not exactly Rock, is also a band I've grown to like quite a lot.

My wife really likes Dave Matthews (who I don't consider to be Rock with an uppercase "R"), and I guess I've grown to like Matthews more than I would have otherwise. (Although his sax-player sucks rocks - man, that guy has about as many intonation problems as a typical student trombonist!! :wacko::wacko: )

If I think of any others, I'll post them here.

Most of my 'pet' bands from the 80's and 90's are more "New Wave" in nature, like "The Cure", and "Talking Heads". If I think of any other real "Rock"-type bands to mention, I'll be back...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Jimi Hendrix Axis: Bold As Love

Led Zeppelin II

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here

The Doors 2cd Live Compilation

The Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead

Dr. John In The Right Place

Funkadelic Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On

The Police Regatta De Blanc

Van Halen Van Halen

Social Distortion Social Distortion

The Cure Disintegration

The Cult Electric

Jane's Addiction Nothing's Shocking

Firehose Ragin', Full On

Primus Sailing The Seas Of Cheese

Sausage Riddles Are Abound Tonight

Nirvana Unplugged

STP Purple

Soundgarden Superunknown

Alice In Chains Facelift

Beck Mellow Gold

Sublime 40 oz. To Freedom

Rage Against The Machine

Mad Season

Oysterhead

Audioslave

Others: Donovan, The Beatles, CCR, Bob Dylan, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Simon & Garfunkel, Jim Croce...

...The Vandals, Black Flag, Henry Rollins, many more I can't think of right now...

I don't listen to much rock at all any longer. I only have collected on cds for instance Hendrix, Cream, and some Traffic, and some others that may or may not be called "rock" such as Joni Mitchell and Rickie Lee Jones. I still have a lot of records. . . gathering layers of dust.

I have though recently felt the urge (thanks to a thread here) to listen to some of the Grateful Dead recordings, especially the 1972 to 1975 ones, so I'll be looking into getting cheap copies of these. . . .

Funny, I've been getting back into my rock collection lately after many years of neglect. There are a few albums/bands that have never gone out of style for me. Here are a few...

Allman Brothers: Live At The Fillmore, Brothers and Sisters

Peter Green Era Fleetwood Mac

Kinks: Pretty Much Everything

Clash: London Calling

Stones: Exile On Main Street

Traffic: John Barleycorn Must Die/ Low Spark...

Joe Walsh: But Seriously Folks (Extremely underrated album even though "Life's Been Good" was a fairly big hit. Rest of the album is outstanding. Great Cover Too!)

Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection, Honky Chateau

I don't really dig much rock any more other than a one-off listen like,...hey, I dig that tune! My one exception seems to be...ZZ TOP(!), I've been hearing a lot of their earlier albums lately at I club I play a bunch. Great stuff I used to love as a kid that still does it for me.

If funk counts, I've still got a pretty long list. :D Of course, Hendrix is alway good as well as The Stones (Some Girls is my favorite.) ;)

Guest Mnytime

For the Zep fans on May 27th they will be releasing 8.5+hrs of live Zep. Out on a 3CD set and a double DVD release.

I have had advance copies for a few months and they rock.

The audio release is called

How The West Was Won, it was recorded in the LA Forum and Long Beach Arena in June of 1972.

The DVD is basically everything that was ever filmed of the group that there was audio tracks to go along with. There is more in the vaults but their are either no audio tracks or the film and audio tracks are in too bad of shape to do anything with them.

I also believe that they will be showing the DVD release on big screens in about 8-9 cities in the U.S. on the day of the release. In Los Angeles that will be at the Universal City Walk. I don't know if they will be showing the full 5+hrs worth of footage on the DVD on the big screens.

They will be released a day earlier in the rest of the world on May 26. Except Japan where they will be released on June 11th.

The three living members will also be on Conan O'Brien this week.

Edited by Mnytime

My one exception seems to be...ZZ TOP(!)

Yeah, they still do it for me too. Still get goose bumps everytime I hear the guitar solo to "Jesus Just Left Chicago". Wicked, just wicked! Incidentally, I believe ZZ Top is touring with Ted Nugent and Kenny Wayne Sheppard this summer. You never know who might show up at a ZZ Top show. Jeff Beck has been known to come out of his garage long enough to play a show or two with ZZ Top. One can only hope.

My one exception seems to be...ZZ TOP(!)

Yeah, they still do it for me too. Still get goose bumps everytime I hear the guitar solo to "Jesus Just Left Chicago". Wicked, just wicked! Incidentally, I believe ZZ Top is touring with Ted Nugent and Kenny Wayne Sheppard this summer. You never know who might show up at a ZZ Top show. Jeff Beck has been known to come out of his garage long enough to play a show or two with ZZ Top. One can only hope.

Yes indeed...ZZ Top has a new album, Mescalero, but it's on hold. RCA's Clive Davis wants to "Supernatural" it with guests. You can find Mescalero on Kazaa.

As fer the Zep...I listened to the CD set this afternoon and started on the DVD (although I can't watch it now, must work). In My Time of Dying - the hair on my arms are standing up....

I got back into listtening to r'nr a year or two ago, it's great for driving a car to. ;)

Faves: Led Zep, ZZ Top, Johnnny Winter, North Mississippi Allstars, Capt. Beefheart (harmolodic rock?), Robin Trower, Hendrix, Jeff Beck and a few other's ah can't think of right now.

:party::party::party:

Edited by Jim Alfredson

After a brief flirtation with Deep Purple and the single of Paranoid I turned away from the heavy stuff (I'm a mild sort of chap!)...but Led Zeppelin were always a richer brew and I still play them today. I'll be tracking down that DVD.

[Having said that I'm more than happy to skip around the kitchen to the grungier moments of King Crimson]

Guest Mnytime

Yea, I talked to Page about that and he said that they felt it was a way of thanking all the loyal fans. CD Universe has it for $18.99 at the moment for 3CDs. Verve sells a single Cd for that much. As I understand it the CDs will ship already 5 times Platinum.

I actually almost made it to the LA Forum concert that is included in the CDs. But my mother thought I was too young at 7. lol

Though I ended up seeing them 14 times from 73 until they broke up. I have seen everyone that is worth seeing from 73 through today and no one still comes close to them live. They really where like a Jazz band when they played live. God, you go to a rock concert today and they play everything note for note and if you’re lucky you get a 90 minute performance, which for Zeppelin was barely half a show.

They recorded every show they played so they could put out a whole lottal more live Zep in the future. Though as with everything Zeppelin getting all 3 remaining members to agree to anything is not that easy as you would think. As close as they where at one time it's not like that now. Especially with Jones being pissed with having to hear about Page/Plant getting together from the media and not even bothering to ask him if wanted to be included.

Here is an a LA TIMES on how they put this together if you're interested

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/c...l=cl%2Dcalendar

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
--Fast Times at Ridgemont High

After that excellent advice he goes on to play Kashmir from Physical Graffiti instead of side one of IV. I don't think many people caught on to that joke.

Not that Kashmir is not great make out music. At least based on what I can recall personally. ;)

Edited by Jim Alfredson

Been getting into the Byrds pretty heavy as of late (got Younger than Yesterday playing right now)!

Best all-time Los Angeles bands.

1. The Byrds

2. The Doors

3. X

4. Love

Just thought you'd like to know. :excited:

PS: How could I forget The Knack!

Guest Mnytime

The best LA Bands

Van Halen-The Diamond Dave Original version. Not VanHager. :rolleyes:

Guns N' Roses, almost impossible to be impartial on this. If William didn't go all Howard Hughes would have been #1 eventually.

The Doors

The Byrds

Buffalo Springfield

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jane's Addiction-another one hard to be impartial with.

Rage Against the Machine

X

The Dils

Dead Kennedys

Black Flag

The Germs

Circle Jerks

Social Distortion

Edited by Mnytime

• 2 weeks later...

Like a couple of others on this thread, I'm just starting to listen to rock again afters years of ignoring it. It all began when I started listening to Led Zeppelin again, and realizing just how good they were. Just put any of their records on, and you get 45 minutes on good, primo, rock 'n roll. I'm starting to even buy the Classic Record lp's of the Zepp that are out. Love is always good for a trippy flashback, along with the Byrds. I still can't get into the Beatles, they just don't click for me, much rather listen to the Ramones anyday of the week. The Grateful Dead have been in my car cd player a lot, it's great music when you get stuck on the L.A. freeways. I just on a streak where jazz seems kinda "blah" right now, so I'm taking a little break from it, playing only about two jazz cd's a week for the past month or so.

records:

The Beach Boys-everything

The Beatles-everything from Help to Let It Be

Santana-everything from Santana to Caravanserai

Bruce Springsteen-everything from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle to The River

The Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street, Let It Bleed, Some Girls, Beggers Banquet

Black Sabbath-Paranoid

songs:

AC/DC-Back in Black

Ted Nugent-Stranglehold

Spirit-I Got a Line On You

Mountain-Mississippi Queen

Led Zepplin-When The Levey Breaks

Lately I've been listening to some old Velvet Underground and Brian Eno albums after giving them a long rest. Usually when I want some rock'n'roll I dig out some Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, early Ramones, Undertones, or Nick Lowe. Or whatever. Depends on the mood.