Any Zappa fans?

GregK

Just got this email last night: http://storesense01.dynamic.net/zappa/Detail.bok?no=669

Here's the tracklist:

1. When it's perfect 3:18

2. The new brown clouds 2:44

3. Frog song 17:23

4. It just might be a one shot deal 1:57

5. The ending line 3:12

6. Blessed relief/the new brown clouds 5:03

7. It ain't real so what's te deal 13:14

8. Think it over some/ think it over some more 5:20

9. Another whole melodic section 1:53

10. When it feels natural 1:27

Total time: 55:32

5:20-long "Think It Over" (another name for "Grand Wazoo") is most likely an edit... Looks like a teaser indeed... And so was the Halloween DVD-A... and so was "Joe's Corsage"... evev FZPFZ was a teaser, I would say. Only FZ:OZ, and EIHN were done the right way, IMO.

Why the fuck would we need a teaser?!

But still, having 3 new FZ releases in 4 months is not too bad, and I just ordered them all (gott buy the DVD-A player now...).

Edited by Д.Д.

Here's some info from the bulletin board on the Real Frank Zappa site, which is taken from ICE magazine, about this new Wazoo release:

" It's from a cassette Joe found from one of the rarest bands, Frank had, from the Petite Wazoo era (fall 72). It's just a rehearsal tape, and the musicians are struggling with a piece. What you get to hear is how Frank ran a rehearsal - talking the players through their parts, the phrasing keeping the band together."

it goes on..."Dweezil says there are "probably a dozen things getting to the completion stage, so there'll be more coming out over the next six months to a year. We're getting to a point where we can create a subscription service for the fans, so they can either subscribe (through www.zappa.com) and get everything for a year, or just a selection of things, depending on what they want".

Ice Magazine # 211 October 2004, page 4

• 2 weeks later...

well, I just got this today, and it's not a live petite wazoo recording like I had hoped. It's a series of snippets from rehearsals for the grand wazoo and waka/jawaka. Unless you enjoy being teased by the beginnings of a run-through of a familiar tune which suddenly ends after 20 seconds, then don't bother with it. So far I am underwhelmed. it sounds like they are tuning up in places, and you can hear frank (muffled, as it is from a cassette) giving instructions. And, of course, the liner notes are indecipherable. If only someone besides gail zappa could be in charge of the vaults, we might actually get what we want (live wazoo, or trance-fusion, anyone?). I'd say if this could be had for about $5 it's worth it just for the historical interest, but it cost me $17, and they shipped it to the wrong address, so i was already pissed before I opened it.

Edited by GregK

• 1 year later...
Guest akanalog

why does the zappa store suck so much?

it seems like there must be so much good stuff in the vaults and all they release is not top notch mostly.

plus as i can attest from personal experience it is difficult to even order from them.

sometimes the online store isn't even open!

it seems like there must be so much good stuff in the vaults and all they release is not top notch mostly.

plus as i can attest from personal experience it is difficult to even order from them.

Because Gail is evil. Evil I say. Evil.

Yes, evil.

Guest akanalog

well it's the same with like...which was the most popular YCDTOSA? i would bet the complete show from 1974, right? so why not release more stuff like that? the rest of the series is hodgepodge collections of much later material. i am sure there is more in the vaults....or why not put someone in charge who knows what they are doing? then more money for everyone!

The ZFT isn't evil, but they are eehm.. "flakes". That Grand Wazoo recording was a major disappointment, hard to understand why this was released instead of all the good stuff that is supposed to be in the vault..

Anyway, Barfko Swill reopened this month, let's hope for some good news.

Yes, evil.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Gail is a sweetheart.

Edited by Suzy Creamcheese

Yes, evil.

You have idea what you're talking about. Gail is a sweetheart.

doesn't come off like that in interviews.

A couple of years ago, I bought a lot of vinyls from them: promos, box sets, ecc. I tooked to me several months and countless intercontinental phono calls to get them. Everytime I spoke with a different person who couldn't find my previous order, cc number, ecc. A nightmare. :wacko:

Edited by porcy62

You have idea what you're talking about. Gail is a sweetheart.

doesn't come off like that in interviews.

So does Bob Dylan, but once you get to know him he's one of the most charming fella's you could ever wanna spend an evening with. Interviewers are usually assholes in case you didn't know.