Andrew Hill Quartet - Iowa City Jazz Festival

Not sure who all on this board is from Kansas City, but I just recently learned that the Andrew Hill Quartet will be playing at the Iowa City Jazz Festival on Sunday, July 6th (at 4pm). The festival is free(!!), and I've always wanted to hear Andrew Hill, like nobody's business. (I have no idea who's in his current quartet, anybody here know????)

Here's the complete line-up of the Festival...

Friday July 4th
6:00 p.m. United Jazz Ensemble
7:00 p.m. United Jazz Alumni Band
6:00 p.m. OftEnsemble (University of Iowa Faculty Ensemble)

Saturday July 5th
2:00 p.m. Dennis McMurrin and the Demolition band
4:00 p.m. Geri Allen Trio (with Buster Williams and Lenny White)
6:00 p.m. Don Byron /Music for Six Musicians
8:00 p.m. Charlie Hunter Quintet

Sunday July 6th
12:00 noon Fred Anderson Trio
2:00 p.m. Ron Miles Quartet
4:00 p.m. Andrew Hill Quartet
6:00 p.m. Dirty Dozen Brass Band

My folks are supposed to be visiting us (my wife and I) from St. Louis that same weekend, but I think there's a chance I could get away for the Sunday line-up. It'd be a long day, but the drive from Kansas City to Iowa City appears to be about 4.5 hours long, one-way. (That's about the same as the drive from Kansas City to St. Louis, or at least to the far side of St. Louis where my folks live, near Belleville, IL.)

I wish I could go for Saturday's line-up too, but I'll be lucky to get away on Sunday. What I'm thinking is that we'd leave Kansas City really early on Sunday morning, depending on how much mutual interest we have in hearing Fred Anderson and Ron Miles. I'm a little embaressed to say that I don't know either of them that well, but reading their AMG bios just now, they both seem like artists I'd like quite a lot. I could take or leave the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, so then the day could go like this...

Leave Kansas City around 6:30am, get to Iowa City by Noon. Hear everybody up through Andrew Hill. Leave Iowa City around 6pm, get back to Kansas City around 11pm.

Who's up for a roadtrip????? (By the way, I'm much more sedate in person than my on-line personality might indicate. Occasionally I probably come off here as being a little "Aric"-like, but I'm really a fairly introverted person, actually. You need not fear being trapped in a car with a motor-mouth. My 'type' is worse than my 'talk' ;) )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

R_T, I live in Minneapolis, but will be going to the festival. I hope you find people to go with you - I'm really looking forward to the line-up, especially Andrew Hill.

Right on, another man from the Twin Cities.

Being originally from Iowa, I have been to the fest before. I saw Dr. Lonnie Smith [with Ronnie Cuber], Christian McBride, and John Scofield before the whole thing was shut down by a nice big ole midwestern kill-em-all thunderstorm. We should have known, as it was about 95 degrees that afternoon.

That is a killer line-up this year.

I might have to make it down and stay at the in-laws [about an hour away from Iowa City.]

There is a killer record store right on the street where it is always held.

• 1 month later...

Just got on the horn, and called some friends - and found a friend of a friend who's all excited about going.

If anybody else wants to go too, I'm glad to drive --- but now the plan is to drive up on Sunday morning, stay in a hotel on Sunday night, and drive back to Kansas City on Monday morning.

If fact, he's going to ask a buddy of his, who he thinks might want to go to. Should be fun!!

Will file a full report upon my return.

Also, I plan to ask Hill a few questions after the show, if I'm lucky enough to get access to him. Among the things I'll ask is his thoughts on the upcoming "Passing Ships"/"Tomorrow is Now!!" sessions from 1969. I can't wait for October to get here!!!

Michael Cuscuna told me that the title of this CD will be Passing Ships.

Some tunes were also renamed (or given a name). I will look for the e-mail.

Bertrand.

Thanks for the update, Bertrand. In another thread, I had proposed the name "Tomorrow is Now!!", but had more recently heard from Kevin that Andrew favored "Passing Ships".

Call it anything, for all I care - I'm practically counting the days until this comes out. Can't wait to hear it!!!!