Jacky Terrasson

Bol

I thought the other thread was abducted by aliens :wacko:

I like Smile - great version of Nardis

A Paris - nice French feel. I like the one he did with Cassandra Wilson as well

I think a lot of folks dismiss him because he's more popular and to many that means not as challenging, if you know what I mean. He's no Andrew Hill, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of his recordings. When I want Hill or Taylor, I listen to Hill or Taylor.

I listen to Terrasson and folks like Charlap, Benny Green, Kevin Hays, Renee Rosnes to get a different type of enjoyment.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

• 1 year later...

Wanted to revive this thread -- I downloaded 'Smile' from the Rhapsody music download service now will soon purchase the disc.

I had not heard much Jacky before, only on the session he did with Stefon Harris (who I really like as well), and was definitely NOT impressed with his work on that session. I am glad I capriciously downloaded 'Smile', as it is wonderful, especially Jacky's compositions, which are are both melodic and memorable. I have been humming the title track and '59' non-stop for the past few days.

I guess what I like most about it IS the melodic content of his playing. To me, he is not the most original stylist out there nowadays, but on this CD he does not seem overly fascinated with being too complex, too cute, too original, too steeped with faux-gravitas, etc., and instead focuses his technique on conveying emotion -- I don't think you can listen to this CD without a smile, as the CD title suggests.

Again, nothing earth-shattering, simply a VERY enjoyable and reccomended outing.

Wanted to revive this thread -- I downloaded 'Smile' from the Rhapsody music download service now will soon purchase the disc.

I had not heard much Jacky before, only on the session he did with Stefon Harris (who I really like as well), and was definitely NOT impressed with his work on that session. I am glad I capriciously downloaded 'Smile', as it is wonderful, especially Jacky's compositions, which are are both melodic and memorable. I have been humming the title track and '59' non-stop for the past few days.

I guess what I like most about it IS the melodic content of his playing. To me, he is not the most original stylist out there nowadays, but on this CD he does not seem overly fascinated with being too complex, too cute, too original, too steeped with faux-gravitas, etc., and instead focuses his technique on conveying emotion -- I don't think you can listen to this CD without a smile, as the CD title suggests.

Again, nothing earth-shattering, simply a VERY enjoyable and reccomended outing.

I agree with Ed and you. I like Jacky, I like his Blue Notes with one exception, I think I have them all, and I think I have his sideman jobs for the label too. . . .

I too don't like the one with Harris. . . !

That first BN album he did was a real favorite of mine back in the day. Lots of imagination, I thought.

Everything since then has been at least "good", but too often I hear "clever", which is cool, but...

I can't help but think that in a different time, he'd have developed a more "definitive" voice. But whatcha' gonna do 'bout that?

That first BN album he did was a real favorite of mine back in the day. Lots of imagination, I thought.

Everything since then has been at least "good", but too often I hear "clever", which is cool, but...

I can't help but think that in a different time, he'd have developed a more "definitive" voice. But whatcha' gonna do 'bout that?

Why do you refuse to talk about his hair?

Wonder why Jacky Terrasson's hair is a problem :bwallace2:

He was born in Berlin in 1965. His mother was American, a black African from the south. His father was French!

Terranon's mother was into home designing. She redecorated Miles Davis' apartment. She met Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones among other guests as Miles' place!

Terrasson studied with another French (from the West Indies) pianist Michel Sardaby!

I'ld rather hear Sardaby than Terrasson.

Terrasson is OK but Sardaby is more consistant and inspired!

Wonder why Jacky Terrasson's hair is a problem :bwallace2:

He was born in Berlin in 1965. His mother was American, a black African from the south. His father was French!

Yeah, I knew that. And his hair's really no problem. I was just satirizing the "confusion" felt in some circles when Keith Jarrett's "perceived ethnicity" changed from African-American to Caucasian. That was some funny shit, really. Who knew? Who cared?

I was just satirizing the "confusion" felt in some circles when Keith Jarrett's "perceived ethnicity" changed from African-American to Caucasian. That was some funny shit, really. Who knew? Who cared?

Oh yes I remember those times. And the controversy!

Well, if no one wants to talk about the music I guess I will. Sorry guys, but if we're gonna talk about hair let's make it worthwhile at least, as in Jaki Byard, for one :lol: ( Just a joke, I played with Jaki's Apollo Stompers for 1 1/2 years and he was really quite heavy. Really. The only genius I've yet met in music except Tom Harrell but I only talked to Harrell a few times, never had the pleasure of playing. Anyway, I said met).

I paid a little attention to Jacky when a good friend of mine played in his band for a few years. This guy, Sean Smith, was on "Smile", so I listened---and liked it, objectively. I liked what he did with "The Dolphin" (a feature for Sean, actually). His ideas sounded good. One of the other arrangements sounded a little too cute and contrived for my tastes, but that's me. But he seems an interesting player. As a qualifier, the only time I've heard him live was when he broke in playing with Art Taylor's Wailers. This would've been in the late 80s-early 90s, ca. It was a young band except for Art. That happens a lot with older leaders, for a lot of reasons. Anyway, they were all young but they sounded good already. I don't remember anything about Jacky specifically except that I liked him, his energy and creativity, and told my friend that I was with so.

He doesn't seem like much of a comper, which is annoying to me and would make him an incomplete musician in my ears. But, to be fair, most of the younger piano players didn't have the experience to play with good singers, especially the old-school types who would read their asses out if they didn't know the tunes in their keys, didn't listen, couldn't play an intro, were too leading, etc. Or for sure most didn't have an inside track on the song form like Bill Charlap, who had as parents a band singer and show music composer, and both excellent ones to boot. But it's a different scene today and a lot of the core values seem to be dying and replaced by----what? Not anything better, to me. OK, I'm starting to editorialize and-----

I'm out.

Edited by fasstrack

is that Sean Smith the bass player? If so, say hello for me; we worked together a bit in Connecitcut some years ago (he lived next to my wife's parents) -

yes, I agree Jaki Byard was a genius (and I've met two in jazz - Jaki and Dave Schildkraut; Roswell Rudd I would consider up there, too) -

as for Terrason, I agree, I find his playing to be competent but a bit precious - Francis Pudras seemed to be trying to groom him to follow Bud Powell, but he lacks the gravitas; I guess he'll never be the hair apparent -

is that Sean Smith the bass player? If so, say hello for me; we worked together a bit in Connecitcut some years ago (he lived next to my wife's parents) -

yes, I agree Jaki Byard was a genius (and I've met two in jazz - Jaki and Dave Schildkraut; Roswell Rudd I would consider up there, too)

Yes, it's the bass player and I wiil say hi for you.

It's very funny you mention Davey Schildkraut. I grew up with his nephew, who is a road-rat rock drummer that's played with all the big names in his field. And I met his uncle in a public library in Brooklyn, of all places. One day I'll tell the story. It's a touching one. He was a great musician, though. He had sadness in his life and gave up playing. He lived in Coney Island and was forgotten, except by the guys who remembered, the musicians. Typical. But I remember the things said at the union floor. Things like 'the best musician to ever come out of local 802...Thanks for reminding me. One of the richest parts of being in music to me has been meeting the people that make it.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to put Terrason down or say he was shallow or anything else unflattering, just giving my opinion of that particular arrangement, which I only heard once anyway. I'm a musician, and I know how hard it is to do this at all, let alone be good. And if I did have anything less than complimentary to say--about the artist, not the music on a recording, etc.---I sure as hell wouldn't do it publicly. My opinion of people who do that is not very high---including myself when I formerly did do that.

He's definitely good, and maybe better than that.

Edited by fasstrack