Dolphy: Iron Man and Conversations

Chrome

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These were originally made for the Douglas label ( I believe), but seem to be somehow in the " public domain" from the variety of bootlegs etc that have and do exist. Excellent Dolphy though and necessary if you are into Eric. I think there were 9 tracks in total from these sessions.. some of the issues collide with each other, and some erroniouslyclaim unissued tracks to be included that most often are Stormy Weather from a Mingus date, and some Chico Hamilton tracks. The latter sound way out of place when tacked onto the Iron Man / Music Matador sets.

Is it like that fabulous one on "Out To Lunch"?

Well, just let me say this:

If Come Sunday were not on Iron Man, I would much prefer listening to Out to Lunch, and I'd probably never even bother picking up Iron Man. But seeing as how it is, Iron Man gets to see a whole lot more of the inside of my CD player than does Out to Lunch.

Come Sunday never fails to make me cry.

Andrew

Has anyone purchased the recent Lonehill Jazz reissue Eric Dolphy: Complete Memorial Album Sessions? It features all nine tracks originally released on Iron Man and Conversations on one cd. Currently, I own Music Matador on LeJazz which only has some of the tracks from the original recordings.

Btw, Dusty Groove has both Iron Man and Conversations on sale for 5.99 and 6.99 respectively (the bastards :lol:). The Lonehill reissue is 11.99, but is currently out of stock.

Edited by jazzshrink

here's what's on the lonehill:

1. Burning Spear

2. Music Matador

3. Jitterbug Waltz

4. Ironman

5. Mandrake

6. Alone Together

7. Come Sunday

8. Ode To C.P.

9. Love Me

is anything missing?

p.s. now i'm a supa groover? do i have to go out and buy different clothes? :huh:

Edited by jazzshrink

I appreciate all this input ... regarding which versions to get, does anyone have an opinion on the Restless discs? Those happen to be the ones on sale at the JRM. How big of a difference is there between the Fuel discs and these? Or is Restless one of those "bad" labels?

Edited by Chrome

There are rumours that much more material exists from these sessions--they were recorded over 3 days--but I guess with all the questionable issues & confusion it's anybody's guess who's got the original tapes or if a "proper" issue will ever be made.

I have only the Iron Man session, on West Wind (another dodgy label). It's wonderful stuff. Much of the material is familiar from the Vintage Dolphy live stuff with Armour, but all the titles are different.

• 4 years later...