SPARTON

Alfred

Not to be confused with the american company that made these:

mia_A_AD_87_66g.jpg

2sparton.jpg

010300b.gif

(BTW, that's not a "Bluebird", which was a table model, but a "Nocturne"- a 4-foot-high masterpiece now worth upwards of $30,000)

1693.jpg

This is a Bluebird.

Probably more info than anybody wanted, but I couldn't resist...

A few details about my Fuller...

Foldout jacket is identical to an Impulse (including the Impulse logo in the white circle), but has "Sparton" stamped at the top of the front cover in gold script. (Not labeled Sparton on spine nor on rear cover).

Aforementioned red abel says "SPARTON impulse RECORDS".

"RVG" stamp in dead wax. B-)

Not to be confused with the american company that made these

Hmmm... I just noticed on the (original Sparton) inner sleeve, it says "Sparton of Canada limited - London Ontario - Famous for sound since 1926 / records / television / stereo hi fi phonos / radios". London Ontario is about 100 miles across the border from Jackson Michigan, where the above radios were manufactured... :unsure:

It's quite possible they're the same company. Up to 30 or 40 years ago most US firms had maufacturing facilities in Canada to make their product for the Canadian market. Those were the days of high tariffs and duties. Now companies make their products wherever it is cheapest to do so and send them more or less freely across the border.

Boy, do I remember Sparton pressings! Absolute crap. Most of the Impulse albums available in Canada were pressed by Sparton. The stereo pressings were even worse than abominable. In order to hear the great Coltrane, Mingus, Shepp, Gary McFarland and Pee Wee Russell albums from Impulse we had only one choice: buy the mono pressing. The monos weren't great, but they were at least playable. The stereos, forget about it. Earlier, Sparton had wreaked the same havoc on Atlantic albums. Sparton at one time had been licensed to manufacture Atlantic albums in Canada. Migawd they were awful. I'll never forget Pyramid by the Modern Jazz Quartet. All that delicate interplay buried under an ocean of surface noise and out-of-phase stereo. Even the mono on that one was a disaster. Bad memories.

Strangely enough, this is not an indictment of Canadian pressings. Albums from the major labels, Columbia and RCA in particular, sounded far better in the Canadian pressings than they did in the American originals. It's not as though great LPS couldn't be manufactured north of the border, it's just that Sparton couldn't do it.

Those were the days of high tariffs and duties.

My wife's uncle lives in Windsor, ON, and used to be a Canadian customs officer on the Ambassador bridge between Detroit and Windsor. He was a real zealot, and would have searched his Mom.

My wife told me tales of how residents of SW Ontario would go over to Detroit to shop and then sneak all sorts of stuff back. The women would take Canadian clothes labels and sew them onto U.S. items before returning! But Uncle Clare could spot U.S. clothes a mile off. No need for sniffer dogs in them thar days.

• 11 years later...

Well I can't follow the replies claiming Sparton Impulse is crap. I've got 2 of them. Coltrane and Hartman and just in yesterday, Rollins on Impulse!

Both cleaned with Art du Son and both carrying the VAN GELDER in the trailout.

They sound wonderful, no background noise at all. They sound exactly as my US originals on Impulse.

For me Sparton is a way to acquire great Impulse records for a lot less. Though they don't come that cheap anymore. People seem to get to know this. The Rollins was bought for 20 $, I was the only bidder...

Cheers from Dirk from Antwerp

Edited by Dirk Lenart

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Welcome to the board !

Art du Son is great. Just about to clean a couple of LPs with that stuff.

It's not got the best shelf life. My working solution develops white streaks or gloop. This occurs despite keeping it in the dark. None the less it works well enough and can also be safely used on shellac

Yip, just mixed 250 ml and in the fridge. Perfect

My current routine, Zerostat gun on the record and Pro-ject brush on it. Art du Son on it, and 3 loads of the Zerostat to let it get as deep as possible. MoFi brush the liquid in, in both directions. Let it soak for 5 minutes, Okki Nokki vacuum for 3 turns. Zerostat again. Does miracles.

Edited by Dirk Lenart

4 hours ago, Dirk Lenart said:

Yip, just mixed 250 ml and in the fridge. Perfect

My current routine, Zerostat gun on the record and Pro-ject brush on it. Art du Son on it, and 3 loads of the Zerostat to let it get as deep as possible. MoFi brush the liquid in, in both directions. Let it soak for 5 minutes, Okki Nokki vacuum for 3 turns. Zerostat again. Does miracles.

ok , putting my bottle in the fridge right now , thanks

• 2 weeks later...