Milt Jackson discography

mjzee

Mjzee, what can you recommend of later Milt? I've been listening to a couple of early sixties recordings (non-MJQ) and last night listened to MJQ & Friends from 1993. Some of the tracks on the latter disc really are good, but Milt's playing sounded incredible.

Its funny. I have a whole new respect for mallets playing and I never respected this 1993 recording of Milt like I did last night!

I'm going to be seeking out more Milt.

Milt was amazing. The MJQ (esp. John Lewis) restrained what he could do, though I respect the music they made. But Milt was in a whole other league.

As for later Milt, check out the recordings made at Ronnie Scott's in 1983 for Pablo. He had a great quartet: Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, and Mickey Roker. I think there were 3 LP's: one is called "A London Bridge," one called something like "Recollections of Thelonious Sphere Monk" (you know, one of those catchy Pablo titles), and I forget the third. But driving, exciting, crisp, intelligent music! I highly recommend these.

He was great up until the end. Some of his last recordings on Qwest...there was one with vocalists, for example...no excuses, just great music.