cayetano

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... will try and pick up a few more in an hour or so, after work :w

ubu

:tup

Would love to read your thoughts and/or review of any of these when the time is right ...

picked the other nine today :w

sort of my own x-mas gift to myself (one has to find a reason and explanation, no? serious sign of addictive behaviour...)

I love the design of the series. The covers are nice, all done by the same artist. The actual front covers are parts (rather small parts) of two quadratic (80X80 cm, I think) paintings, which are displayed if you open up the cardboard cover. Two paintings that sort of belong together per disc. The notes (original ones by Val Wilmer, mostly, new ones by Philippe Carles) are very nice, too, not of the learned sort, but more of the reminiscing kind, telling stories, remembering some of the recently deceased musicians (Lacy & Waldron). A real good series, in my opinion, though it will take at least a few weeks to have a first listen to all the discs.

ubu

Anyone notice that Dusty Groove yanked all these titles from their site? They're not even listed in the "Upcoming" section anymore. I wonder what the deal is ...

On a positive note, Amazon France has sound samples up for the entire series — save "Black Gypsy." I didn't think I'd want the Braxtons ... but now I do. The Clifford Thornton and Alan Shorter sound tasty, too.

Is the only place to order these in the States from DMG? (Or should an order from Amazon France be making its appearance on my credit card?) Maybe a waiting game is in order, however. If Universal America decides to distribute them, maybe the price will go down (for U.S. residents) some.

I've seen Dusty Groove yank titles before only to then see them reappear, so I wouldn't worry too much.

$24 each from DMG is just too rich for my blood. I'll wait and hope these are made available domestically. (I guess I'll wait until they're... Yanked? B-) )

Edited by Chaney

Hello!

http://free-america.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

I* suddenly noticed that the entries for these titles have now been deleted from your site. 

Any update on whether or not these will be made available as domestic releases?  Available at all from Dusty Groove?

Thank you.

Tony

* Well, actually Late noticed...

Dear Tony--

They were removed from our upcoming pages inadvertently -- as their status was changing**.  But they are now back on the site, and we will definitely carry them.  We expect to have them sometime very soon in January.

Moe Greene

Dusty Groove America

dga@dustygroove.com

http://www.dustygroove.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1120 N Ashland, Chicago, IL, 60622

Phone number:  773-342-5800

Fax Number:  773-342-2180

----------------------------------------------------------------------

** Looks like this is the change: Upcoming Release: Around January 15, 2005

I have a follow up question to Moe as to the projected pricing of these babies.

Edited by Chaney

I have a follow up question to Moe as to the projected pricing of these babies.

Dear Tony--

Yes, I see that DMG is charging that price, but I'm not sure that we'll do that much better.  These are very expensive even in Europe, and although they haven't decided the domestic price yet, it might not be much lower.  We won't know the domestic price for a while.

Moe Greene

Dusty Groove America

I'm still holding out hope that Mr. Package Delivery Man is at this very moment trudging through the snow, making his way to my place to deliver a hefty package sent by one of my many European friends.

Looking... down... the... driveway... again. Nope, not yet. Pretty soon though, I'm betting!

:party:

I'm still holding out hope that Mr. Package Delivery Man is at this very moment trudging through the snow, making his way to my place to deliver a hefty package sent by one of my many European friends.

Looking... down... the... driveway... again. Nope, not yet. Pretty soon though, I'm betting!

:party:

:g

not from me, sorry!

I saw one of the series at another store than where I got them for a fourth more of the prize I got them for, or even a third more... strange! The prize I got them for is definitely lower than the list prize.

ubu

• 2 weeks later...

What the deal with (the lack of) American distribution? Is it a lisencing issue or just a matter of no one taking the plunge? I ask because my buddy is a manager at Other Music in NY and his ears perked up when I mentioned this reissue series.

Anyone know of a place I can direct him or are these just simply not available for sale in the States yet?

Thanks.

What the deal with (the lack of) American distribution? Is it a lisencing issue or just a matter of no one taking the plunge? I ask because my buddy is a manager at Other Music in NY and his ears perked up when I mentioned this reissue series.

Anyone know of a place I can direct him or are these just simply not available for sale in the States yet?

Thanks.

Even in France, there have been a series ads for the reissues in the daily newspaper Liberation (and probaly some others) but the CDs are barely visible in the usual stores.

My mother was able to find a copy of the Alan Shorter album at the Virgin store on the Champs Elysees - it was even on sale!

The sound is pretty raw on this. Gary Windo goes apeshit (as advertised by Brandon elsewhere), but I was disappointed in how little Shorter himself plays on this. The first track takes up the bulk of the CD, and he only solos for about 4 minutes.

I'm glad I have it, but Orgasm is a far better record.

Bertrand.

My mother was able to find a copy of the Alan Shorter album at the Virgin store on the Champs Elysees - it was even on sale!

Bertrand, there was no special sale of Free America CDs at the Virgin Champs-Elysees. There was a special New Release sale on those as there are on a lot of new releases. Those Free Americas are almost all gone at the Virgin store by now!

I won't get the Alan Shorter reissue. Did not bother with the original vinyl when it came out and was widely available and on sale at many stores. Wayne's brother was a special character and not a very interesting player if I may say!

She's right next to me right now as I'm reading this - when she asked for the CD, the clerk told her how impressed he was with her knowledge of jazz!

It runs in the family - I have the only four-year who knows who Ahmed Abdul-Malik is, although he only identified him as a bassist (the oud will be for the next lesson).

Bertrand.

DMG finally was able to send out the discs last week, but I was informed that the Art Ensemble with Fontella Bass was "not yet pressed", although I believe Ubu implied he bought every disc in the series. Anyone know the story? Ubu?

All I know is that I own that one, and the the store where I got it has re-stocked it, too, thus there must be two that were pressed, at least... ;)

ubu

Guest Chaney

Dear John --

Thanks for the message.  The titles will be showing up sometime soon -- but they're currently tied up in territory issues between different branches of Universal Music.  They are planning to issue them over here in January -- although as of yet, we've seen no concrete details.  So hopefully we will have them in a month or so, at domestic prices!

DOMESTIC PRICES!

If that actually happens, I'll be one happy guy.

Dear John --

Thanks for the message.  The titles will be showing up sometime soon -- but they're currently tied up in territory issues between different branches of Universal Music.  They are planning to issue them over here in January -- although as of yet, we've seen no concrete details.  So hopefully we will have them in a month or so, at domestic prices!

DOMESTIC PRICES!

If that actually happens, I'll be one happy guy.

Ah yes, the omnipresent Dusty Groove exclamation point.

It's spiritual!