Free America

cayetano

" Just an FYI:

CD Universe has the Free America titles up for pre-ordering, available January 18, 2005.

Cost: $29.99 (each)"

The Free America titles were released here in Canada several weeks ago and are widely available at $14.99 Cdn. in local stores. No need to pay the CD Universe or Dusty Groove prices!

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The series is listed on the Verve site with a March 15 release date.

Verve picked those up?! That's very surprising.

I suppose this means that we're either going to see The Sounds of Free Amercia comps at Starbucks or somebody's getting fired. Either way, I'm happy so see that these will be available in the States.

From the Downtown Music Gallery newsletter:

YEAH, THAT 'AMERICA' SERIES STUFF MENTIONED ONCE AGAIN

Those of you who got what they wanted, skip this.

Those of you who still want some or all, read on...

No matter how many we bought, it seems we kept selling out immediately - and for good reason. Only 2 other U.S. retailers ever mentioned carrying them, and they never actually got them [well, one of them eventually got 2 of the 15]. They are all technically out-of-print as of this writing, and our original supplier could not get more - we had to deal with a more expensive European distributor who still had most of them. So the price is now $2 higher for the single CDs and a dollar higher for the Braxton double. (thebirdman.gif)

Those of you who don't understand why the excitement...This time around Bruce will give you his take on why these are some of the most indispensable recordings of that early '70s era...

ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO - Certain Blacks (Do What They Wanna Do) [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992990; EEC) Featuring Chicago Beau on tenor sax, Julio Finn on harmonica, Joseph Jarman on tenor & soprano saxes, Roscoe Mitchell on baritone sax, Lester Bowie on trumpet, Malachi Favors on bass & William Howell on drums. Witnessing the Art Ensemble of Chicago play at the Kitchen in 1973 for nearly three hours, changed my life. It was an incredible experience that started with 4 clarinets (add Chico Freeman & Hamiet Bluitt) and ended with upwards of ten drummers. 'Certain Blacks' was one of the first Art Ensemble albums that I bought, it was on a label called Inner City. It was licensed from the infamous America label, which was picked up where the BYG Actuel series left off. Little did I know what I was in store for. It begins with an intense and defiant chant, "Certain blacks, certain blacks, do what they wanna, do what they wanna..." It scared the shit out of a teenage honky like myself. It exploded into an amazing, free/jazz journey that evolves though the ancient-to-modern, history of great black music. Blues harmonica, layers of great saxes, extraordinary trumpet and one of greatest rhythm teams that continually bridges the gap from free to swing, in-between and beyond. An incredible journey. - BLG

CD $26

ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO - Phase One [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992731; EEC) Featuring Roscoe Mitchell & Joseph Jarman on various saxes, flutes, clarinets & percussion; Lester Bowie on trumpet & flugelhorn; Malachi Favors on bass, banjo & percussion and Don Moye on drums & percussion. This was recorded in Paris, in February of 1971 and this is the truly classic quintet line-up, just after Don Moye joined the band [pre-Famadou]. Just two 21 minute, album length tracks here, "Ohnedaruth" and Lebert Aaly", dedicated to Albert Ayler, who had passed away under mysterious circumstances prior to this recording. Starting with just organic cymbals and spacious percussion, like the beginning of the day or the start of a journey through time. Each member comes in one at a time, first Malachi's beautiful contrabass, ever-evolving, ever-building. Then all the horns, trumpet and two saxes, explode tightly together, hailing and wailing a new day. The rhythm team is soon swinging furiously as a number of mind-splitting solos erupt. We are again on an incredible journey, through the history of man, the history of jazz and as the AEC say, "great black music". Amen. - BLG

CD for $26

ANTHONY BRAXTON - Dona Lee (Donna Lee) [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992909; EEC) Anthony Braxton - alto & soprano saxes, contrabass clarinet & flute; Michael Smith - piano; Peter Warren - bass; Oliver Johnson - drums; February 18th, 1972. An interesting session that shows two sides of Braxton's different worlds, consisting of two standards, Miles' "Donna Lee" and Dizzy's "You Go To My Head", plus Braxton originals, "Composition 23L" and "Composition 23k". Pianist Michael Smith is another of those mysterious legends who appeared some half dozen records in the 70's (w/ Steve Lacy) and then disappeared from view. Braxton's quartet burn through "Donna Lee" at hyper-speed, putting their own twist of this difficult bop classic. "Comp. No. 23L" is closer to that modern classical cautiousness, slowed down and rather ballad-like, with Mr. Smith playing softly inside the piano at times and Braxton stretching out his notes on that grumbling contrabass clarinet. "You Go to My Head" is done gracefully with Braxton's alto playing both relaxed and burning at the same time, his tone warmer than most insiders would give him credit for. "Comp. No. 23K" sounds like one of those great pieces on 'New York 1974', done in slow motion, where the quartet play all of their lines together. A minimal gem with soprano sax, piano, bowed bass and hushed percussion. A gentle ending to another Braxtonian classic. - BLG

CD for $26

ANTHONY BRAXTON - Saxophone Improvisation Series F [2 CD set; Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992945; EEC) Anthony Braxton - alto saxophone; February 25th, 1972. Mr. Braxton courted a great deal of controversy by releasing a previous solo alto sax album ('For Alto' on Delmark) as his debut in 1968. This opened the way for a number of other sax pioneers to take up the challenge of solo sax - Roscoe Mitchell, Lee Konitz, John Zorn, Evan Parker, Lol Coxhill and Ned Rothenberg. Mr. Braxton has continued to evolve this practice and now has some half dozen solo sax recordings. This was his second solo effort. Each of the nine pieces is dedicated to different friends and or inspirations of Braxton's - Bobby Fisher, Maurice McIntyre, Buckminster Fuller, Ann Taylor, Phillip Glass, Claire, Louise & Dave Holland, June Patton, Marie-Claude Conet and George Conley. On each piece, Mr. Braxton explores a variety of themes, textures and the language of the saxophone. Extraordinary, challenging and unique. - BLG

2 CD set for $36

DAVE BURRELL With ROSCOE MITCHELL/ALAN SILVA/DON MOYE - After Love [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992361; EEC) Featuring Dave Burrell on piano & compositions, with Roscoe Mitchell on reeds; Alan Silva on acoustic & electric cellos & violin; Ron Miller mandolin, bass; Michel Gladieux bass and Don Moye & Bertrand Gauthier drums. Dave Burrell is certainly one of heaviest jazz pianists on this planet. He was part of Americans-in-Paris avant jazz scene in the late 60's/early 70's, when this was recorded and worked with Sunny Murray a great deal during the 70's and beyond. He is sadly under-recorded, yet each and every record he's done as a leader has been special. Check out his BYG album, 'Echoes' for one of the most intense free/jazz epics of all time. 'After Love' was recorded a year after 'Echoes' and is another free flowing epic. Cosmic layers of piano, soprano sax, 3 string players and double drummers, make this disc another wonderfully intense offering, that builds higher and higher. - BLG

CD for $26

EMERGENCY [GLENN SPEARMAN/BOB REID et al] - Homage To Peace [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992246; EEC) Featuring Glenn Spearman on tenor sax; Bob Reid on acoustic bass, Boulou Ferret on electric guitar; Takashi Kako on piano and Sabu Toyozumi on drums. Emergency was formed by legendary Bay Area saxist Glenn Spearman, who passed away in 1998. Recorded live in Paris in 1970, it featured an eclectic international quintet, each player from a much different background. French gypsy guitarist Boulou Ferret was only 21 at the time, making his contribution all the more astonishing. I remember bassist Bob Reid from the loft jazz days in NY, as well as another Emergency album from 1975. Future legendary drummer, Sabu later worked with Braxton, Kaoru Abe, Peter Brotzmann & Toshinori Kondo. Yet another superb and intense free/jazz classic with inspired playing from all five of these gents. Considering guitarist Boulou Ferret seemed to have disappeared after this, he sounds like the missing link between free jazz/rock insanity, somewhere between Sonny Sharrock and John McLaughlin with some tasty wah-wah thrown in. More scary shit to wake the neighbors and keep the purists (jazz police) from coming to visit. - BLG

CD for $26

STEVE LACY - The Gap [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992936; EEC) Steve Lacy soprano sax, with Steve Potts alto and soprano saxophones, Kent Carter bass, Irene Aebi cello, Noel McGhie drums. This CD edition also contains an alternate take of "La Motte-Picquet" [3:50] - No review since we are down to the last couple of copies as I type this up.

CD for $26

ROSWELL RUDD QUARTET - Roswell Rudd [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992343; EEC) Featuring Roswell Rudd on trombone, John Tchicai on alto sax, Finn Von Eyben on double bass and Louis Moholo on drums. Although this was Rudd's first album under his own name, he claims to have never given permission for it to be released and is angry about its existence. It was recorded recorded for Hilversum radio in Holland in February of 1965. Both Roswell Rudd and John Tchicai were also members of the New York Art Quartet, whose record on ESP was released in 1964. The NY Art Quartet featured Milford Graves on drums, but here Roswell utilizes the talent of South African expatriate drum legend Louis Moholo, an appropriate choice. I am unfamiliar with Dutch bassist Finn Von Eysen, but he plays well throughout. Roswell composed 3 of the 5 tunes here with Tchicai's "Jabulani" and Monk's "Pannonica" as the other two songs. The playing is inspired throughout, the fidelity could be a bit more dynamic, but this is still an historic gem. - BLG

CD for $26

ARCHIE SHEPP - Black Gipsy [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992963; EEC) Featuring Archie Shepp on soprano sax with Clifford Thornton on trumpet (?), Noah Howard on alto sax, Leroy Jenkins on viola, Dave Burrell on piano, Earl Freeman on bass, Julio Finn on harmonica, Chicago Beauchamp doing vocals and Sunny Murray on drums. This was recorded in Paris in November of 1969 and is another unique blend of free/jazz, blues other odd elements. The two long pieces here were written by vocalist Chicago Beauchamp with the help of harmonica player Julio Finn. Mr. Beauchamp tells it like it is, with righteous authority and a powerful voice shouting out the truth as he sees it. Stratospheric squealing saxes, twisted trumpet and spiraling viola also spew out those intense spirits. There is strong indignation from an unjust world, this is the central theme. No obvious solos, just ongoing conversations between all the invited parties. Another strong brew worthy of your collection. Too bad this reissue series didn't include Shepp's other 'America' album, Coral Rock - BLG

CD for $26

ALAN SHORTER QUARTET With GARY WINDO/JOHNNY DYANI/RENE AUGUSTUS - Tes Esat [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992801; EEC) Legendary trumpeter Alan Shorter, brother to Wayne, was another of those mysterious free/jazz giants, who few seem to know much about his whereabouts from the mid-70's onwards. He only made two albums as a leader, the great 'Orgasm' on Verve, which was only in print on CD for a very short period and this one. He only appears on a few other records besides those. There are dozens of rumors surrounding his mythical status, as to his sanity, nervous breakdowns and whether he is even still alive. The liner notes on this disc claim that he died in L.A. in 1987, according to Wayne. This his second album as a leader features another legend, tenor saxist Gary Windo, who went on to work with Robert Wyatt, Carla Bley and NRBQ, before his unfortunate demise in the 90's. Speaking of legends, South African expatriate bass wonder, Johnny Dyani, was another immensely gifted figure, whose playing always added something special to each and every recording. I can't tell you anything about drummer Rene Augustus, except that his playing here is phenomenal. This record was allegedly recorded in Paris in March of 1970, although Pam Windo (Gary's wife at the time) recently told me that this is off by at least two years, more like 1972 or '73. Big mouth critics/journalist/poets like Stanley Crouch and Amiri Baraka have made claims that no white musicians can play free/jazz with the intensity or conviction of their black brethren, still those arguments continue. They have obviously not heard Gary Windo, whose playing here is as intense, explosive and over-the-top as anyone on this planet in the history of free/jazz. All four musicians play as if this was their last session on earth. This is certainly one of the scariest sessions ever: you've been forewarned. - BLG

CD for $26

CLIFFORD THORNTON QUARTET - The Panther And The Lash [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992325; EEC) Featuring Clifford Thornton on valve trombone, flugelhorn, cornet & shenai; Francois Tusques on piano, celeste, Beb Guerin on bass and Noel McGhie on drums. Clifford Thornton is another brass legend from this same era, who has also disappeared from the scene since his rise to fame in the mid-70's. He recorded some essential records with Sun Ra and Marzette Watts in the 60's, moved to Paris and recorded with Sunny Murray and Archie Shepp. He made about four records as a leader, 'Ketchaoua' (BYG) in 1969, this one for America in 1970, 'Freedom & Unity" (self-produced & reissued by Atavistic) and one on JCOA. 'The Panther and The Lash' was recorded live in Paris in November of 1970. I hadn't heard of the pianist, Francois Tusques, before or after this session, but bassist Beb Guerin is on many BYG records and drummer Noel McGhie, another American still living in France, played with Steve Lacy and many others. "Huey is Free" opens and is a fine, laid back ballad with superb playing from Clifford on cornet and exquisite piano from Francois. The rhythm team also plays supremely, supporting, flowing, speeding up and slowing down perfectly underneath Clifford's majestic cornet. This is an excellent live recording with a perfect balance of all players. Clifford writes two tunes, Francois writes three, plus a traditional West African song and a traditional tune from Tunisia. Clifford plays shenai, (snake charmer's double reed), on "El Fath" and takes us on an exotic middle-eastern journey, another winner for this fabulous rhythm team. 'The Panther and The Lash' is the one true non-freejazz-blowout gem of this great batch, but one any jazz lover can dig. Superb! - BLG

CD for $26

MAL WALDRON With STEVE LACY QUINTET - Mal Waldron With The Steve Lacy Quintet [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992927; EEC) Featuring Mal Waldron on piano, Steve Lacy on soprano sax, Steve Potts on alto sax, Kent Carter on acoustic bass, Irene Aebi on cello and Noel McGhie drums. This CD edition also contains two alternate takes, "Vio" [12:28] and "Jump For Victor" [8:51], not found on the original album. Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy's collaborations go all the back to 1955 and continued to work together on occasion throughout their long and varied histories. Waldron passed away in 2002 and Lacy in 2004. This gem was recorded in May of 1972 in Paris, where Lacy had lived for over thirty years. Here Mr. Waldron sits in with Mr. Lacy's great quintet of the time. "Vio" is a long and winding LP-side length work. Slowly at first, mysterious and slyly enchanting. It soon speeds up as the sextet hit their stride, with quick spinning soprano sax, intense morse code-like piano, furious cello and high-flying rhythm team power. I dig that the piano, bass and drums are often playing one song as either sax or the cello sail intensely overhead, sending messages to each other above and below the radar screen. Lacy's writing is also marvelous, giving both saxes some twisted lines to play together, the piano weaving cautiously between them. Gotta give some credit to Irene Aebi, whose cello also provides some great off-kilter lines, helping to push the inner flow further out. - BLG

CD for $26

FRANK WRIGHT With NOAH HOWARD/BOBBY FEW/ART TAYLOR - Uhuru Na Umoja [Ltd. Ed.] (America/MRC 2992307; EEC) Featuring Noah Howard on alto sax, Frank Wright on tenor sax, Bobby Few on piano and Arthur Taylor on drums. The Reverend Frank Wright, as he is often known, is another rather enigmatic figure among the legends of free/jazz sax players. Another powerful sax blaster who was rumored to chase fire engines while blowing his sax like a madman. He was also under-recorded with a just a few records to his name, two on ESP, this one for America, two for his own label, Center of the World and one called 'Church Number 9', released a few years back on a label called Black Keys, but now impossible to get, [so please stop trying to get it from us, sorry]. He can also be found on Cecil Taylor's 'Winged Serpent' disc from Soul Note. The title, 'Uhuru Na Umoja' is Swahili and refers to "freedom and fraternity". Alto saxist Noah Howard and pianist Bobby Few have worked with Frank on a few sessions, but what makes this session so unique is the drumming of Art Taylor, known for much more straight ahead dates. And, there is no bassist involved here, although this is not a unique situation for a Frank Wright session. Although starting slowly and with some restraint, the quartet soon erupts with fierce power. Both saxists blast together in massive, earth-moving strokes, the piano and drums dancing intensely around them. Bobby Few plays magically throughout, his playing similar to the way an acoustic harpist plays transcendent, flowing, lines of notes. In some ways this sounds much like those cosmic Pharoah Sanders offerings from the same period of time. Perfect to take us on a great journey to the stars. - BLG

CD for $26

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

Price?  $24 each.  <_<

Couldn't you be happy with us Europeans that at least once there are CDs we can get cheaper than you? ;):w

No.

:P

Current CD Universe price: $13.29

Use Alan's JAZZMATAZZ link from his post above.

Also listed at Deep Discount CD -- MOST of the run listed here but note a few titles are NOT of the Free America run for $13.97 each with free shipping.

:party:

That is a pretty good price from CDUniverse. Hmmm, I was just planning an order from Alldirect, however. I wonder if they'll eventually stock these. Any thoughts? Too outside of the mainstream? (They do carry some BYG/Sunspots titles ... :mellow: ).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

An exchange between the JCs Other Steve and a reporter ( :w ):

Other Steve: I'll just add that this is one of the most beautifully conceived, designed and executed reissue series I've ever seen from a major label. That Verve would lavish such loving care on this music is unprecedented; that it's the French branch of the company behind it all is unsurprising. The sound is also strikingly good throughout; I'd expected vinyl transfers, but as far as I can tell, these are from master or low-generation tapes.

Note, all of you fence-sitters, that Verve's domestically priced allotment is 1,000 copies of each title. Act ye now, lest ye be lost.

Reporter: Not that I have reason to doubt you but are you cetain of that? May I ask where you obtained your information? (Curiousity alone leads to my questions; I've already placed my order. :) )

Other Steve: Directly from Verve's marketing director, a little earlier today.

Thanks for the link to cduniverse. Reasonable prices. Still £14 at Amazon UK ( ;) - is the cost of transporting them through the 20 odd miles of the Chunnel really that high?). I think I will go for the Clifford, the Al Shorter, the Frank Wright and the Roswell. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Guest Chaney

That is a pretty good price from CDUniverse. Hmmm, I was just planning an order from Alldirect, however. I wonder if they'll eventually stock these. Any thoughts? Too outside of the mainstream? (They do carry some BYG/Sunspots titles ...  :mellow: ).

It's been ages since I ordered anything from Alldirect so it'd be hard for me to offer comment. What I did order was pretty mainstream and it did arrive.

Thanks for the link to cduniverse. Reasonable prices. Still £14 at Amazon UK ( ;)  - is the cost of transporting them through the 20 odd miles of the Chunnel really that high?). I think I will go for the Clifford, the Al Shorter, the Frank Wright and the Roswell.  :)

HEY! NO FAIR! You'll be cutting into the American allotment! :angry:

:P

Edited by Chaney

I picked up the Braxton Donna Lee today at Borders for $18.99. It's fantastic!!! One of my local Borders seemed to have them all- I was there around 1 pm and I had to ask the guy at the info desk to find it for me, since they weren't put on the shelves yet, and so he directed me to the new releases bin and we searched through them until we found the Donna Lee. It was under the Alan Shorter and Certain Blacks, which were all under and beside what looked like piles of these! I didn't realize they were so limited, or I would have gotten more with that buy 3 get 4th free deal they have. Guess I'll be going back to Borders this weekend!! I intend to pick up the Shorter and 2 Art Ensemble discs, Certain Blacks and Phase One