Gigi Gryce acetate on E-Bay

ajf67

"Ends Sep-27-04 14:32:29 PDT"

I hope Mike Fitzgerald sees this in time!

d7_1.JPG

db_1.JPG

UP FOR AUCTION IS TWO ONE SIDED 45 RMP 12" LP ACETATES BY GIGI GRYCE. EACH METAL ACETATE CONTAINS ONE TRACK WITH HAND WRITTEN LABELS. THE TRACKS ARE "DANCING THE GIGI" & "BLUES IN BLOOM". THE ACETATES APPPEAR TO BE AN UNRELEASED 45 FOR GIGI RECORDS, INC. THE ACETATES ARE IN VG+ CONDITION WITH LIGHT MARKS. THEY PLAY GREAT WITH LIGHT SURFACE SOUND. THERE IS GREASE PENCIL WRITING ON ONE TRACK THAT DOES NOT EFFECT THE SOUND. THIS TWO ACETATES CAME FROM THE 1950'S & EARLY 1960'S JAZZ COLLECTION OF PERI COUSINS & BILL EVANS (OF WHOM THE SONG "PERI-SCOPE" WAS WRITTEN FOR).
Edited by mikeweil

I also have a question about playing one of these disks. Any limitations since it is metal? I assume that one can't use a moving magnet cartridge, right? I assume since it is magnetic, it would stick to the disk?

Edit: Should I post this in the "Stupid Questions" thread? :D

Edited by ajf67

Thanks for the heads up.

Dancing The Gigi is a known, but otherwise unrecorded tune. Norman Mapp's tune Blues In Bloom was recorded for the "Rat Race Blues" album - however, this may well be a different performance.

The Nola demo disc that we documented in the book had some material that was later re-recorded and some stuff that wasn't. This disc sounds like a similar thing.

"Gigi Records" is interesting because that's something that was mentioned in a couple of sources but we never found any documentation that it was a reality. I guess this is still not a reality since it wasn't issued, but it's getting closer.

Whoever ends up with this - I would just like to hear it. I don't need to own all the artifacts, but it would add to my knowledge of the subject.

If my assumption about the current high bidder is correct, perhaps someone here could put in a good word for me.

Mike

I think I know who the high bidder is :)

I'm glad you saw this thread, Mike. Although I didn't have your book here at work, I didn't remember this acetate being mentioned. And of course I remember 'Dancing The Gigi' from the copyright folios.

What I'm wondering is how many rare acetates like this are floating around for Gigi or other artists? Who gets a hold of these? How about 'test' pressings (such as the one for Back To The Tracks mentioned in the Brooks Mosaic box booklet)? Where did the Lee Morgan 'River Jordan' lead sheet come from?

Is this something IJS can bid on, or do they have no budget for such things? I wonder if this is something the Library of Congress could try to acquire. I would hate to find out it fell in the hands of someone who had no interest in sharing it with researchers.

Bertrand.

What I'm wondering is how many rare acetates like this are floating around for Gigi or other artists

Back "in the day" before cassettes or even before home tape recorders were common, the "acetate" was the format for musicians to check what they had recorded. There were tons of them.

Things had progressed by the mid 70s to the point I sent 7 1/2 IPS tapes to artists.

I remember Warne Marsh telling me a story about the Becker/Fagen produced Apogee session. At the end of the date, cassettes were given to the artists and they looked at them and said something like "what do we do with these?". Becker and/or Fagen got on the phone and ordered Nakamichis for each band member. Of course this was added to the project budget by the record company.