Worst Wynton Marsalis CD

Dan Gould

Which Wynton CD Makes You Gag?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kudos to Dan for this diffcult choice of selecting only 10 Wynton albums for this poll.

The 3 "Soul Gestures in Southern Blue" volumes would have been natural candidates as well, and some of his ballets and thematic compositions

Chalk up another one for THE MIDNIGHT BLUES (mainly because it's the only Wynton disc that I own). I agree with John's assessment: too long and a serious lack of variety. A major 'sameness' to almost every tune. If I want to listen to something in this vein, I'll usually spin Roy Hargrove's MOMENT TO MOMENT, which has a similar lack of variety (although, admittedly not as bad as MB); the major difference is Roy's playing, which I dig FAR more than Wynton's.

Edited by pryan

Funny, but I was listening to the Midnight Blues Cd this morning before I posted these polls. As I recall I got it because at the time I was courtin' my wife and was more open to the potential value of "mood-setting" albums. When I popped it in I thought, well if this doesn't grab me this will go in the "to sell" pile but I actually found it solidly on the "not bad" side. Yes, there's a sameness and it didn't need to be 70 minutes long, but I still enjoyed it, and that was sitting alone in an office blazing with flourescent lights, not alone with my sweetie in a darkened living room ;)

I haven't heard any of them  :g

me neither, am I missing something? :ph34r:

No

And I can't think of a single W. Marsalis release that doesn't apply to. For every recording he made that is "good" there are tons of recordings by other trumpet players that are infinitely better.

When I first heard Wynton live I thought this guy can really play. But after listening to two or three of his earlier recordings under his own name I couldn't find much in his playing that hadn't been done before by Miles, Woody Shaw or Freddie Hubbard. And why are some of his compositions so "difficult/clever"?

Guest Mnytime

There are several to choose from but for me the worst is the Monk, which is the dullest and most lifeless I have heard of Monks music. It's like they have the sheets for the music but they really didn't "know" the music.