Elvin Jones - Live at the Blue Note

Alfred

His new (and maybe last? :( ) release at CDUniverse for $ 11.89.

I don't know when it was recorded, probably 2003?! His bandmates are Michael Brecker, Antoine Roney (saxophone); Darren Barrett (trumpet); Robin Eubanks (trombone); Carlos McKinney (piano); Gene Perla (acoustic bass guitar).

The Truth: Heard Live at the Blue Note

But please use this LINK to support jazz<ma>tazz!

• 1 month later...

Just picked this up and am letting it sink in. It is enjoyable so far.

A couple of other recordings that are closer to being Elvin's actual last recordings.

Great Jazz Trio (sometimes listed under this or under Elvin) Someday My Prince Will Come. Elvin, Hank Jones and Richard Davis recorded these standards in 2002. I just picked this up and liked it a lot. I will also seek out Autumn Leaves by the same group.

A few more things seem to have been put out recently. No idea about their quality.

Earth Jones Elvin Jones and David Liebman (2003)

Brother John Elvin Jones (solo?) on the Quicksilver label (2003).

A few more things seem to have been put out recently.  No idea about their quality.

Brother John Elvin Jones (solo?) on the Quicksilver label (2003).

Oops. These are reissues from 1982 according to AMG. The two standards CDs were recorded in 2002, however, so are basically still new releases.

Review for Brother Jones:

This out-of-print album is very much a showcase for saxophonist Pat LaBarbera, who doubles on tenor and soprano, for he also contributed five of the eight selections. With drummer Elvin Jones, pianist Kenny Kirkland and bassist Reggie Workman forming a formidable rhythm section, LaBarbera is heard throughout in fine form, playing in a style strongly influenced by (but not derivative of) John Coltrane. Unfortunately, this high-quality hard bop set will be difficult to find.

This is much more informative (and tempting) than what is on Amazon. There are a number of used copies floating around on their site, so perhaps I shall grab one.

Review for Brother Jones:

This out-of-print album is very much a showcase for saxophonist Pat LaBarbera, who doubles on tenor and soprano, for he also contributed five of the eight selections. With drummer Elvin Jones, pianist Kenny Kirkland and bassist Reggie Workman forming a formidable rhythm section, LaBarbera is heard throughout in fine form, playing in a style strongly influenced by (but not derivative of) John Coltrane. Unfortunately, this high-quality hard bop set will be difficult to find.

I have this on vinyl — purchased way back in '87! — but haven't listened to it for some time. I do remember liking it, however, with Kirkland's contributions particularly interesting. LaBarbera visited North Texas when I was there; very nice guy, and a nice sound on tenor. Too bad my turntable is currently busted, otherwise I'd spin this one today.

A few more things seem to have been put out recently. No idea about their quality.

I picked this one up not long after its reissue last year. I love it. Kenny Kirkland is on piano for this one as well. Liebman's playing is on fire in reaction to Emperor Jones, who seems to be playing a bit harder than usual.