Lennon fans threaten his killer

7/4

Lennon fans threaten his killer as release looms

Paul Harris in New York

Sunday September 26, 2004

The Observer

Mark Chapman, the man who murdered John Lennon, could be released from jail next month in a move that has sparked fears of retribution from Beatles fans.

Chapman will have a parole hearing in the week beginning 4 October, officials at the New York State Parole Division said. It will be held behind closed doors. However, one official said they had 'no idea' what the outcome of the hearing would be.

But if Chapman is released after 24 years in prison, some Lennon fans have already threatened to take action. News of the parole hearing has spread on the internet and dozens of websites have been filling up with messages from fans around the world, many already promising to take revenge on the man who gunned down Lennon on 8 December 1980 as he arrived at his New York apartment building off Central Park.

'Chapman should be executed. I would gladly get rid of him myself,' wrote a fan from Finland on one website. Another fan has already set up an online petition to have Chapman's parole denied. It is already full of messages that show Chapman's safety outside jail would be difficult to maintain. 'If Mark David Chapman is let out of jail, he wouldn't last a day. There are too many people who want him dead,' wrote a New York-based female fan.

Any security conditions for protecting Chapman if he is released will be down to the New York State Parole Board. 'It is up to them. It is nothing to do with the police,' said a spokesman for the New York Police Department.

New York is used to handling such releases. Recently Joel Steinberg, jailed for 17 years after the violent death of his six-year-old daughter, was released from jail in a move that shocked New York and generated huge media interest. Steinberg faced numerous death threats from the public but still travelled back to the city from jail in a white limousine trailed by a pack of journalists. He has since been living in a charity-run halfway house in New York and reportedly considering a career in television.

However, other recent attempts by high-profile prisoners to get parole have failed. In August a California prison board refused to parole Leslie Van Houten for the 15th time. Van Houten was a disciple of notorious 1960s killer Charles Manson and was convicted for her role in cult murders carried out by Manson's 'Family'. Van Houten, now 55 was rejected in her bid for parole despite having been a long-term model prisoner and making a tearful apology for her part in the grisly 1969 crimes.

Chapman has had two previous requests for parole, in 2000 and 2002, denied. In 2000 he outraged Lennon fans by saying he believed his victim would want him to be freed. 'I think he would be liberal, I think he would care,' he said.

He was originally sentenced to at least 20 years in prison. Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, has supported keeping Chapman in prison out of a fear for her own safety and that of their child Sean and Lennon's other son Julian.

'Chapman should be executed. I would gladly get rid of him myself,' wrote a fan from Finland on one website. Another fan has already set up an online petition to have Chapman's parole denied. It is already full of messages that show Chapman's safety outside jail would be difficult to maintain. 'If Mark David Chapman is let out of jail, he wouldn't last a day. There are too many people who want him dead,' wrote a New York-based female fan.

Give peace a chance my ass.

In 2000 he outraged Lennon fans by saying he believed his victim would want him to be freed. 'I think he would be liberal, I think he would care,' he said.

jeeze, tough break. the one guy who'd give you a pardon...

AND YOU KILLED HIM!!!

<_<

:g FUNNY :g

By the way, I could just kill 7/4 for his having started this thread.

:blink:

In 2000 he outraged Lennon fans by saying he believed his victim would want him to be freed. 'I think he would be liberal, I think he would care,' he said.

AND YOU KILLED HIM!!!

<_<

You and Paula Poundstone have a similar sense of humor! ^_^

Old ass joke, only me an a few other people would remember it....

The guy who shot Robert Kennedy, Sirhan Sirhan, goes up for parole every year. Once he even told the parole board that if Kennedy was alive today, he would speak in his favor and say let him go. What a tough break, you know? The one guy who would have supported him, and he shot him. (Paula Poundstone)

http://www.bluedonut.com/100jokes.htm

AND YOU KILLED HIM!!!

<_<

:g FUNNY :g

By the way, I could just kill 7/4 for his having started this thread.

:blink:

<_<

If Lennon were still alive, I think a Beatles reunion would've happened on The Simpsons. That would've been great.

'Sup Dave!

The other three have made (separate) appearances. One reunion that didn't happen - when Homer went to see BTO, Bachman and Turner shared the stage and had speaking parts but in the 3D, non-animated world, they recorded their voicework on separate days to avoid each other.

Doubt if Yoko will make an appearance. Sayeth Homer, "Ewww, she totally ruined the Plastic Ono Band!".

Edited by DTMX

Cult deprogrammer: I did get Paul McCartney out of Wings.

Homer: You idiot! He was the most talented one!

Also, did you know when The Who were on The Simpsons, Pete Townshend's voice was actually done by his brother Simon Townshend? That's why in the credits they don't list them seperatley like they always do for bands. I don't know why Pete didn't do his voice though.

I don't know why Pete didn't do his voice though.

He may have thought Bart Simpson was voiced by a real child and figured he'd best stay away completely.

Favorite headline from the Onion:

Pete Townsend Can't Explain

:eye: Now, now DTMX! ^_^

Of Course, Michael Jackson did not sing with Bart once he found out that Bart wasn't really a boy....

• 2 weeks later...