Fluid Motion with Sam Rivers

davidmanson

My small label (isospin labs) has released Fluid Motion, an avant-jazz quintet featuring Sam Rivers, Doug Mathews, Anthony Cole, Jonathan Powell and myself. The sound is a mix of structure and freedom, groove and fluidity. Samples and press are at CD Baby .

Sam sounds wonderful on this CD and he is in the good company of his trio bassist (Doug Mathews) and drummer (Anthony Cole). 21-year-old trumpeter Jonathan Powell is fiery on this session. Nat Hentoff had this to say about Jonathan on this CD:

“On a new recording by trombonist-composer David Manson, Fluid Motion, I heard, for the first time, 20-year old trumpeter Jonathan Powell. Powell’s crackling range and electricity of his imagination reminded me of the first time that I heard Lee Morgan and Clifford Brown. I didn’t think of Jonathan Powell as a category. His voice is his own, as is that of the always-contemporary 79-year old Sam Rivers, on the same date.” – Nat Hentoff, JazzTimes, 4/03

For further info - e-mail me at mansond@spcollege.edu

I would recommend this cd to anyone who likes

avant jazz

David,

I got your email thanking me for purchaseing the cd

but have been so busy I have not had a chance to respond with a good review

All I will say right now is that this recording

has been on my Ipod for over a month and is a "great" session.

:D

Guest Chaney

Any other members with two or fewer total posts wish to comment on this one?

:D

KIDDING! Just kidding.

Welcome guys.

Looks VERY interesting. I'd love to have a listen to the sound samples but my computer is not speaking to me. (Sound problems.)

I guess a freebie would be out of the question?

:winky:

Guest Mnytime

Anything with Rivers involved is well worth picking up. This is a fine recording and Rivers is Rivers.

Any chance of getting Rivers to participate in the board? There are many fans of his Blue Note recordings alone. Beside the rest of us that are into his most current releases as well.

I am sure all of them would love to hear from Sam and be able to ask him some questions.

Chaney

I understand since I have more than a couple posts to my credit that my post doesn't count. ;)

Guest Chaney

Chaney

I understand since I have more than a couple posts to my credit that my post doesn't count. ;)

Yea! Who asked you!

;)

I think I'll pick this one up as soon as my feeble finances will allow.

Sam doesn't communicate much by e-mail. His RivBea web site is managed by a friend.

I just found out about Organissimo recently so I haven't posted much. I have directed a new music series (EMIT) for the past 8 years and presented 67 concerts. I think that in one concert we actually took in more funds at the door than what we paid out to our visiting artists. We are alright with that since EMIT is a 501©(3).

Anyway Fluid Motion is a different setting for Sam Rivers. There is a fair amount of structure and groove. It's a nice mix of inside and outside playing. It would be nice to get an invitation for a jazz festival, but that has not happened yet. I guess that there are secret handshakes involved or something.

I was just checking out your website David. Nice to have people like you around! Please continue to jump into our discussions as you see fit. The articles you've written look interesting and I plan on reading them as soon as I have the time. I just printed out the one from your site titled The Utopian Blues. The subject matter is right up my alley.

See you around!

Thanks to a friend I heard this recording when it was released last year. It was easily one of my favorite releases in 2002. The compositions are excellent and the playing by all is very good. Highly reccommended.

Seeing this thread for the first time today reminded me that I need to purchase a copy for myself!