First item you ever bought on ebay?

mikeweil

I'm sure it was a record of some sort (no, really, it was!).

What I do remember is the positive feedback I received, which was:

"Nice person!"

It left me thinking, how in the heck do they know I'm a nice person? I'd rather get the nuts and bolts of positive feedback: Quick pay, good communication, that sort of thing. Or even a blanket comment like "I would buy again" or "good buyer" but to decide I'm a nice person, well, that and the requisite cash will get me a cup of coffee and not much else.

Grachan Moncur III's Evolution. I paid about $25 only to discover upon its delivery that it was the cheap "Masters of Jazz" version. I returned it and was partially refunded. I did not ask for a full refund, as I felt some of the blame was on me for assuming that it was the Blue Note domestic version.

A bad way to start, but I have never had another bad experience. Yet, anyway.

My most recent purchase that has arrived was a copy of Eddie Costa's House of Blue Lights. :tup

I have yet to win anything either, as I've strictly used it for bargain shopping rather than "I must have it." (Also I haven't tried very often either.)

My favorite loss was for the 3 disc Richard Thompson box "Watching The Dark." I stopped bidding after shipping costs pushed it above $28. A week later I went to my favorite local CD shop and found it used for $24! :D

I'm pretty sure it was the Buddy DeFranco Mosaic. I've bought 50-60 items on e-bay and never had a bad experience. Mostly music and golf equipment but some old baseball cards as well; mostly domestic sellers but some overseas. Each and every transaction has been hassle free. I know there are rip-off artists on e-bay and that bidding manipulation is a problem, but it's never had any impact on me, at least that I'm aware of. The people I've "met" and interacted with have been uniformly top drawer.

Up over and out.

Some Japanese TOCJ BN with all of the previously unreleased cuts from the Herbie Hancock box set.

Trouble is, I didn't do my homework before I bid, and didn't realize that the entire CD was also on the Herbie BN box (which I already had) --- so it turned out to be something I already owned (in a round-about way).

In the long run I found a happy home for it, however, with a friend who had all the original albums on vinyl, and the guy had no plans to buy the box-set ever.

I think I paid about $20 for it, or something like that.

After that, I got a hell of a lot better about checking into what it was I was buying, before I bid on it. :)

It just dawns on me that I expected to learn only about CD or vinyl purchases - simply because I rarely buy anything else at ebay.

I have bought a few hundred CDs at ebay, 1 (!) LP - a promo copy of Jack Wilson's "Song For My Daughter" - and some spares for my mobile phone, a pair of trousers for my wife that didn't fit, some VHS videos and DVD's.

Negative experiences: One CD was wrong, three or four never arrived - got a refund from all but one seller. Once I sold a CD to Belgium and the buyer never paid the five EUR - he was excommunicated soon after.