Complete Capitol Recordings Krupa/James

wesbed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have this myself but here's the AMG review:

Big bands were on their way out by the late '40s, which left bandleaders and musicians who had played swing in a quandary: embrace bebop or become a nostalgia act. Certain wise musicians like Gene Krupa and Harry James, however, found a middle course by modernizing swing with new arrangements and selling it to ballroom dancers. The Complete Capitol Recordings of Gene Krupa and Harry James collects a multitude of splendid performances from both players as they transitioned from one era to the next. The four Krupa discs were recorded in 1946-1947 during the drummer/leader's successful comeback following a drug conviction. His band averaged around 17 pieces during these sessions, and occasionally featured vocalists Caroline Grey and Buddy Stewart. The band covers everything from bouncy straight-ahead swing like "Indiana" to tender ballads like "How Deep Is the Ocean." Of special interest are a number of stripped-down tracks, including "Body and Soul" and "Limehouse Blues," that feature Krupa, saxophonist Charlie Ventura, and pianist Teddy Napoleon. The three James discs were recorded between 1955 and 1958 and find the semi-reclusive trumpeter returning to the limelight. Married to Betty Grable and living in California, he had been perfectly content to perform locally. In the mid-'50s, however, his contract with Columbia ran out, giving him a chance to make another start. The first dozen cuts feature a large band with strings, providing James' horn with a plush background to play against. Guest vocalists Helen Forrest and Bob Marlo also help out here, offering fine renditions of "I've Heard That Song Before" and "My Silent Love." James's favorite drummer, Buddy Rich, also makes several appearances. Overall, The Complete Capitol Recordings of Gene Krupa and Harry James is an excellent collection that will please fans of both players and that will be a special joy to anyone who appreciates good swing.

I doubt whether anyone here will say it's not good. Whether it's to your taste, well, have you listened to the samples?

One thing that sometimes decides for me is the track times- most of these are in the three minute range, so that's an indication that there's not a lot of solo "stretching". Whether that's a plus or minus is up to you.

I guess one might consider this set fairly conservative musically, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't swing heartily. How could these guys NOT swing??

Myself, I don't think of it as a must-have, but I'm sure there are those here who do.

Then again, I might order it tonight! :wacko:

Edited by Free For All

This is one of the sets that Mosaic released for retail sale a couple of years ago so there could be a number floating around the various on-line places. I picked my set up when it went retail a few years ago and got one of those nice new release discounts a la CD Universe.

I like the set, but then again - I'm easy to please. I only started listening to big band music about 4 years ago and have aquired about 90%of what I have from Mosaic. So maybe I guess that maybe I'm easy to please or just don't know any better. :blink:

At any rate, I like this set a lot. Nothing earth shattering but nice, enjoyable stuff. In my mind it's not up their with the Basie, Ellington or Herman Mosaics that I have, but then again not everything has to be groundbreaking to be enjoyable in my estimation. I like it for what it is and since I have no other Krupa or James in my collection, for who it is.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Judging from the Columbia 78s I have of the Krupa band of this era, this is tempting. A late swing era big band with a fair amount of bop influence- not the heavy, screechy kind of late swing, where it seems like the only new idea they had was to make the bands bigger and have the trumpets play higher- but stuff that genuinely swings.

This box is not a must have! IMHO!!!

This is not an argument with Alfred. I'm kind of thinking out loud. A box that is not a must have could still be a box that's fun to have. I purchased the Kenton Presents box. I don't believe it's a must have but I'm still glad I have it. I've enjoyed the hell out of the Kenton Presents on certain ocassions. But, how much 'fun' and 'enjoyment' are contained within the Krupa/James box?

Glad to hear that, Alfred. This might just be a set that I pass on.

I'm still trying to decide whether to pass or not. I know nearly nothing about Harry James or Gene Krupa. I believe there are better Mosaic sets at the same price as the Krupa/James box. On the other hand, I'd hate to miss a Mosaic set that I would enjoy. I enjoy learning about, reading about, and listening to the music even if it's not a must have.

Fek. :(

Edited by wesbed

I'm still trying to decide whether to pass or not. I know nearly nothing about Harry James or Gene Krupa. I believe there are better Mosaic sets at the same price as the Krupa/James box. On the other hand, I'd hate to miss a Mosaic set that I would enjoy. I enjoy learning about, reading about, and listening to the music even if it's not a must have.

Fek.  :(

Hey, you're not making car payments- go for it if you're curious! ;)

EDIT: Plus, around here you can always unload an unwanted Mosaic!

Edited by Free For All

Let us know how it sounds, wesbed! I admit I'm having second thoughts and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll probably panic and order when it hits "last chance", but I just ordered the Ayler box, and I'm nervous about not having something in the tanks in case the Lee/Christie set or the Hodges set go "running low"; I've just gotta have those two!

I think this one is really good, though probably few would view it as "essential."

Whether you pull the trigger or not depends on so many factors. It's full of excellent music, and the earlier sessions of Krupa's in particular I find outstanding (with Red Rodney, Ventura, and others along) and quite exciting - lots of energy. In fact, this material could quite nicely have been issued by Blue Note/EMI on its own, without the James, as a 2-CD set and I think would have turned some heads.

It's probably the Harry James material will be the separating factor for many, as it escalates the set price into the "have to think about it" range and probably does merit a bit more reservation and consideration. It's true to my ears that he'd foreclosed on trying to do anything innovative by this point, but in many ways (though not at the same exhalted level of artistry IMHO) I am also reminded of the approach of Pops' later years - continual honing and refining of an already instantly identifiable sound, and James' tone was so damn huge and beautiful that it's honestly worth the price of admission for that alone, particularly given the oustanding depth and presence of these Capitol studio recordings.

My guidance: if money is not a huge object, and if you are adventurous and love discovering excellent music that hardly anyone seems to talk about much, go for it. But don't feel overly bad if neither of these apply.

Also: to get a taster of the James material, didn't Blue Note/EMI put out a single disc compilation of some of the Capitol stuff in this box? Might be a cost-effective way to find out if you want more.

I received mine today. I haven't listened to the music yet. The Mosaic site says there were 7500 copies planned. Mine is #2826. From the evidence at hand, I'll say Mosaic may not sell even half of the planned amount.

That's too bad--I think Dr. J's comments nail the virtues of this set. Wonder if that's why the "Capitol Big Bands" box has evidently been axed?

amozon's marketplace has a krupa/james mosaic for $42.49 + 2.49 shipping.

the seller is newbury comics.

i bought one last week, and it showed up today.

it is still on the amzon site, so they must have more than 1.

mine is complete and in excellent condition.

this is a good deal even if it was not on the endangered list.