J.J. Johnson LP question

Jazzmoose

Okay, I know what it is, but anyone know when or where this was recorded? I won it on eBay for 99 cents, but the liner notes say nothing about when or where it was recorded, other than it is "an actual concert".

JJ in Person!/The J. J. Johnson Quintet

Columbia CS8009 "Special Archives Series"

Personnel:

J. J. Johnson

Nat Adderly

Tommy Flanagan

Wilbur Little

Albert Heath

Songs:

Tune Up

Laura

Walkin'

Whati is This Thing Called Love?

Misterioso

My Old Flame

Now's the Time

Thanks for the help!

from the mosaic website, the only decent one that pops up if you enter JJ Johnson and the whole slew of titles you posted (google corrects the spelling mistakes all by itself...):

Nat Adderley (cor), J.J. Johnson (tb), Tommy Flanagan (p), Wilbur Little (b), Albert Tootie Heath (d).

February 19, 1958

tk.2 Now's The Time CS8009

tk.2 What Is This Thing Called Love -

tk.1 Misterioso -

tk.3 Tune Up -

tk.1 My Old Flame (omit tp) -

tk.3 Walkin' -

tk,1/2 Laura -

note: CS8009 entitled In Person has dubbed-in applause and fake stage announcements. This is actually a studio recording as presented here.

OK, this inspires another question:

How many times did Columbia commit live-album fraud, dubbing in applause between studio tracks? We know about this JJ album, Ellington at Newport '58, and for that matter the fake applause on Ellington's Jazz Party. Other examples?

And what examples of this deception on other labels are out there?

"I believe [Stan Getz And J.J. Johnson At The Opera House] also had some "manufactured" cuts made to seem like they were live." [Free For All]

There is confusion about which tracks were recorded at the Opera House in Chicago and which at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. And there is confusion about the dates. But I've not seen any mention that any tracks are doctored.

"Wasn't Newport '56 also partially studio takes?"

Yes.

"

"Wasn't Newport '56 also partially studio takes?"

Yes.

Just to straighten this out. Tje original recordings were off mike in places etc, and Duke rerecorded some tracks in the studio for better sound reasons ( in most cases) and these were used on the original album. The new 2cd set was taken from VOA broadcast tapes that were found much later and you get the whole concert as recorded ( the only way to go for D&C) plus the studio tracks.