Norman Granz Jam Sessions box set

jazzbo

Man, those are unbelievable line-ups. I really like the Eldridge/Carter combination in their Verve studio meeting (in the Mosaic box)..it'd be nice to hear them together in the Sweden set...Heck, it'd be nice to hear any of those sets. It boggles my mind that Verve sits on material like this while devoting their energy to Jazz for lovers compilations and their money to signing pop stars like Al Jarreau.

montg,

Yeah, don't it just make you want to cry? But the corporation is there to make money. From that view, there's no need to wonder why this music is unreleased. But considering that the corporation touts itself as a worthy custodian of this great art (which, being jazz, is not just great art, but also the manifestion, the expression of a profoundly heroic culture), the lack of availability of these works is obscene.

P.D.,

I don't think there were any VSPs made of this material.

Aside from the vinyl releases, re-releases, and compilations, the few CD tracks that I know to have trickled out are:

"Blue 'N Boogie" on Dizzy's Diamonds.

"The Mooche" on Stan Getz & Dizzy Gillespie

"All The Things You Are" on Stan Getz: Best Of The Verve Years, Vol. 1

"Stuffy" on Coleman Hawkins And Roy Eldridge At The Opera House

Edited by Cornelius

Ok but they weren't VSP's but they were budget verves

Buddy Rich & Gene Krupa, The Drum Battle verve 815 146

Ella Fitzgerald verve 815 147

The Coleman Hawkins Set verve 815 148

The Rarest Concerts verve 815 149

Bird & Pres Carnegie Hall 1949 verve 815 150

Norgran Blues verve 815 151

The Trumpet Battle 1952 verve 815 152

One O'Clock Jump 1953 verve 815 153

The Challenges 1954 verve 815 154

Blues in Chicago verve 815 155

my mind tells me I might have an Oscar Peterson set too.

None of this was in the JATP box

None has seen CD as far as I know ( usual Japanese disclaimer)

Put together this would be a nice second JATP box as long as the packaging wasn't so stupid and verve didn't gouge us by putting it on 10 CDS

6 or 7 would probably suffice.. umless there is much unissued material.. which there should be,, These weren't 40 min concerts.

I can pull the albums and give track / personnel details if anyone needs them.

I know I don't have the Ella, but might have the Krupa / Rich.. in spite of the interminable drum solos.

Edited by P.D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It doesn't fit exactly but I would have liked this to also include the 1956 Metronome All Star session. Has that been out on cd? Would have made a nice bonus, unless Mosaic or someone else could gather all the Metronome sessions together. Can't think of the other magazines that sponsored All Star dates off the top of my head.

I'm waiting for this too but since I coupled the order with the new Bud Powell cd I won't get it until sometime next week.

Regading the Metronome All Stars, I don't know if there's enough there for a Mosaic or even a Select. I have a Bluebird cd and an LP that has some of the same material as the CD and I think it covers most of 1940-1949.

I picked this set up this morning and am listening to Jams 1 & 2. Like the music very much so far, it has more of a "musical" quality that the JATPs, not playing to the crowd as much. Sound is typically Verve, seems a little lite on the bass, but overall good. Notes well written, and the blurb on the front said that this is a "limited edition" set, if that means anything to people. Sounds like this will be in heavy rotation for awhile -- I'm a sucker for this stuff.

Still missing from the reissue box is the August 1957 Jam Session that gathered Harry Edison, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Louis Bellson on 'Someone To Watch Over Me' and the same musicians plus Jimmy Rushing on 'Goin' to Chicago'.

The session has never seen the light of the day!

If this has never been reissued, is there an album title associated? Is it Jam #9 or did it have a name like Tour de Force? It sounds like the tapes don't exist, so I might have to go searching for this one!

Regarding the Metronome All Stars, I don't know if there's enough there for a Mosaic or even a Select.  I have a Bluebird cd and an LP that has some of the same material as the CD and I think it covers most of 1940-1949.

Metronome magazine collaborated with several labels, I remember Capitol (Cuscuna included some on the CD Birth of the Cool Vol. 2.

Having them all in one package regardless of the label would really be a perfect fit for Mosaic.

Edited by mikeweil

Brownie, could this be the August 1957 "jam" you are talking about? It's all I see listed with Pres involved for August of that year.

unissued performance, Hollywood Bowl, LA 8/22/57

JATP

Sweets, Pres, Frog, OP, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, Louis

Bellson, Jimmy Rushing*

Polka Dots and Moonbeams

Blues

Goin' To Chicago*

How High the Moon

Someone to Watch Over Me

I think this is it and here is what it says below:

"This concert was reportedly recorded by Norman Granz;

other tunes may have been played."

Likely NO ONE has this, it hasn't been out on record

according to this (discographic pages of Japanese Pres box).

Lon, this might be it. The August 1957 Jam Session item I mentioned was picked up from the Tom Lord discography. The only two tunes mentioned there are 'Someone to Watch Over Me' and 'Goin' to Chicago'.

What you are listing - with the added titles - is even more exciting!

Regarding the Metronome All Stars, I don't know if there's enough there for a Mosaic or even a Select.  I have a Bluebird cd and an LP that has some of the same material as the CD and I think it covers most of 1940-1949.

Metronome magazine collaborated with several labels, I remember Capitol (Cuscuna included some on the CD Birth of the Cool Vol. 2.

Having them all in one package regardless of the label would really be a perfect fit for Mosaic.

Unfortunately, based on what I've been able to find out, there's not enough there for a Mosaic. The Metronome All Stars recorded between 1939 and 1961 and usually they only recorded a couple of songs a year, at least in their heyday. There are basically four lps and one cd that contain Metronome materia. There is the Bluebird (RCA) cd that contains 15 cuts between 1939 and 1950 (including the famed Overtime and Victory Ball) and some of these are alternate takes.

There is a Tax lp, which contains the Columbia sessions for 1940, 1941, 1942, 1946 and 1950. The Camden lp is the RCA material on the cd and there is a Clef lp of the 1956 All Stars which has 6 songs.

A search turned up this CD. Since the Bluebird is OOP, this is probably worth getting.

I'm not even sure there's enough there for a Select.

Edited by Brad

Also the 1953 MGM date with Roy Eldridge, Kai Winding, John LaPorta, Warne Marsh, Lester Young, Terry Gibbs, Teddy Wilson, Billy Bauer, Eddie Safranski, Max Roach and Billy Eckstine. Recorded July 9, 1953

How High the Moon parts 1 & 2 5:20

St. Louis Blues parts 1 & 2 6:18

This session is included in the Eckstine "Everything I Have Is Yours" set on Verve.

The French Fremeaux label issued a 2CD set that had all takes (including all three takes of the 'Victory Ball' 1949 Metronome All Stars session with Dizzy, Navarro, Miles, Bird et al) of all the Metronome and Esquire All Stars dates from 1939 to 1950.

http://www.fremeaux.com/pages/catalogue/fi...pg_Jazz-591.htm

Excellent compilation. Sound is pretty good!

I was just reading about Verve copy-protecting the new Jimmy Smith reissue, and had a scarry thought--

Does anyone know if Verve is copy-protecting this set?  Yikes!

'Copy-protected' or 'NOT copy-protected'? That's the question!

:unsure:

Just got my set, and am making mp3's right now. No copy protection. :tup

Let's see:

Amazon Germany has this one for Euro EUR 79,99.

Amazon UK has it for £39.99 which equals Euro 57.16.

Amazon France has it for Euro 43,86.

That's the EU for you.

I guess I'll let my good friends in France have the money.

Or I'll wait for 2001 (Zweitausendeins) to mark it down a bit.

Cheers!

Strange that Amazon.fr states this interesting price. The boxes I have seen in the Paris stores are about double that money! If Amazon.fr confirms the price, I'll look no further for a Christmas present!