Norman Granz Jam Sessions box set

jazzbo

This session is included in the Eckstine "Everything I Have Is Yours" set on Verve.

Is that one worth getting for the rest of what it includes, too?

The Frémeaux looks good. Although I have almost nothing they did, I really like that label. Also they send a free catalogue each year...

ubu

Personally I'm very happy with this set. They may have been able to shift jams around and reduce the total number of discs to four, I honestly don't think they could have kept sequence and made them fit on three, I may be wrong. . . but it's nice to have complete "Jams" on a cd, and the sound is FANTASTIC. I've had lp burns of this material, but they're very nicely remastered here, with a booklet that is well put together.

It's divided in two.

Thanks..so much for keeping 'LP integrity"

I'll stick with the Ocium CDs and my old British vinyls that presented Stompin in one piece with an only slightly noticable stitch.

I should clarify my statement. The CD is divided in two tracks, but that division is only noticeable due to a small dropout at the track change. Otherwise, the music is continuous.

I got this in the mail yesterday, along with the Charles Mingus dvd. I think this is a great set! The packaging is in keeping with the Verve design mindset, but at least the discs are accessible in digipaks and not bound to some hardbound binder. And I don't think the metal will rust on this one.........? :P

Lon is correct; the sound quality of this is fantastic! As is the music. I was jamming out all night listening to this.

Let's see:

Amazon Germany has this one for Euro EUR 79,99.

Amazon UK has it for £39.99 which equals Euro 57.16.

Amazon France has it for Euro 43,86.

That's the EU for you.

I guess I'll let my good friends in France have the money.

Or I'll wait for 2001 (Zweitausendeins) to mark it down a bit.

Cheers!

Well, I finally ordered this baby and got it for 61 Euro. Not a bad price. The cheaper ones would have lead to a lot of hassle with customs once again, and I'm seriously tired of that. European protectionism is a pain in the ass.

This set is just up my alley and may well be the highlight of the year for me. It's been a Granz year anyway, with this box, the various Montreux DVDs and a whole bunch of Granz Verve sessions I bought.

A good year for (the) jazz (I like) (... but NOT for packaging).

Cheers!

Well I sorta like the packaging ... anything is better than the Bill Evans "rustbucket"!

My orginals of these sessions, with the thick card DSM covers sold quite well on eBay when I listed them four years ago. ($40-$50). Truth be told, I had not listened to them in a very long time, so listening to the wonderfully remastered box with new ears I am struck by how far ahead conceptually and harmonically Buddy DeFranco was to the rest of the musicians. (I readily confess to being Buddy's greatest living fan, but that is not the issue here). I don't mean that he is necessarily any better than Benny Carter, Stan Getz, Wardell Grey et. al., it is just that he is playing very advanced harmonic "bop lines" in comparison to the largely "swing lines" being played by the others. The rhythm sections are definitely "swing" sections ... Great music, and a real treat to hear it again ...

Garth,

Houston.

P.S. The reason I was moved to sell my entire LP collection was that no matter how nostalgic we may wax (pun intended!), fifties vinyl is fifties vinyl ... give me a clean remastered copy (CD or vinyl) every time.

Edited by garthsj

How many minutes are on disc #5?

I see it priced at $43.75 at vh1.com (free shipping) taxes apply.

Try this price, without taxes, depending on where you live ... I deal with these folks all of the time, and they are very efficient.

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?styl...&cart=215837862

Disc 5 is by far the shortest of the set. It contains two cuts:

Funky Blues 27:36

Lullaby in Rhythm 23:44

This is a wonderful set ... I heartily recommend it for some joyous jazz.

Garth,

Houston.

• 3 weeks later...

That was the first Christmas present I bought for myself. I'm glad I did!

Others (unfortunately) followed ...

... and more are yet to come. ;)

Cheers!

Now that's a good idea for a thread ...the Christmas presents we are going to by ourselves...I'll bet there's a few Mosaics and other box sets in THAT list.

Our ailing fridge died just before Thanksgiving. We'd been praying it would last until we remodeled the kitchen -- the old fridge fit right into a stupid little cubbyhole that was (still is) the first thing we'd want to get rid off -- but the wise repairman said buy the cheapest Frigidaire (about $400), and then when you do remodel, you'll in effect be tacking $400 onto the bill, and you'll have an extra fridge you can put in the basement. So far, that move makes sense, plus for the first time in several years we've got a freezer that keeps things frozen.

Unfortunately (right B-) ) I ordered 11 OJCs from AllDirect last night. Talk about buyer remorse!

I just ordered 11 OJC's ($107) from AllDirect myself last week .... they must wonder what is going on? The only problem with AllDirect I have found over the years is that it takes them a long time to stock new things, and when they go out of stock, it takes them a long time to restock. But, when they do have the stuff, their basic prices are the best, and their delivery time is excellent. Of course, for brand new releases, the pre-release prices from CDUniverse are the best I have found.