Happy birthday, Edward!

J.A.W.

Thank you all very much. I wish that I had overslept, Catesta - I have not been getting enough sleep lately and I have no one to blame but myself. I was able to take the day off, though, and so it has been far better than last year when I had to work all day and then attend an evening class and take an examination.

I have not made time to listen to much music lately, but I did play Van Cliburn's 1958 performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 (on SACD) this afternoon and I am looking forward to digging into the Nuggets boxed set (finally! - what a great gift) over the weekend.

• 8 years later...

I belatedly thank you all for your well wishes. I bought three Mosaic sets earlier this year during a sale and I was able to keep my paws off of them up until my birthday. Now I am heading into the fourth day of an unplanned vacation.

i have been swamped this past year and one half due to serious injuries sustained by my wife - NEVER take your loved ones or your health for granted. During this tiime, I have been extremely thankful for the joy and comfort that music brings to me. It is as though I am rediscovering a part of myself, even though I would much rather that things had remained the way that they were.

Edward, what were the Mosaics?

And tell your wife hello for us!

The Mosaics were the Duke Ellington (1932 - 1940 Brunswick et al), the Louis Armstrong (1935 - 1946 Decca), and the Stan Getz Clef/Norgran (audiophile vinyl sounds SO good). It should take me some time to digest it all.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Page and guys!  My birthday was pretty forgettable until the evening.  In anticipation of the day, I recently pulled the trigger on an attractively priced copy of the OOP Miles Davis Quintet - Great Prestige Recordings 45 rpm vinyl boxed set by Analogue Productions.  Unfortunately, however, when I arrived at my post office box earlier today, I found that the seller had sent me the 33 rpm version of the set - Argh!

Oh, well.  I'll track one down eventually.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...