Paul Desmond-Jim Hall Mosaic

Brad

This is a set that never gets as far as I can tell any attention. I can't recall ever seeing it mentioned. This was the first Mosaic I ever bought at auction and it costs me a pretty penny. It languished for a long time in my shelves and I recently started listening to it again.

This is incredible music. Paul Desmond's tone is just incredible and he and Jim Hall work so well together. To play sax like that gives me chills. I've listened to the first 2 cds and one particular song that stands out for me is The Night Has a Thousand Eyes from Take Ten. Five lps made up this set, 4 of which were on RCA. This set has really grabbed my attention.

It doesn't seem that Paul Desmond gets much attention. Another beautiful record that he did was Two of A Mind with Gerry Mulligan. The tapestry they weave is likewise incredible. I believe this one is still available although the Mosaic set is unfortunately unavailable.

Edited by Brad

There is an RCA set that has almost all the material in the Mosaic. I believe it contains one session not in the Mosaic. Seeing how expensive the Mosaic was, I went for the RCA set. The music really is beautiful. Paul Desmond and Jim Hall were a great match for each other. The "Glad to be Unhappy" session is by far my favorite. One of my favorite box sets. :rhappy:

A few years ago, the guys at Audiophile USA acquired about 30 or OOP Mosaic sets. They were all priced WAY under ebay prices, which back then were considerably lower than today's ebay prices.

By the time I found out, most of the sets I wanted were gobbled up. They had the Getz/Raney, Desmond/Hall, Master Jazz Piano, and Benny Goodman left. I really did not know the music in any of these, but I grabbed them anyways. I don't remember the exact prices, but they were very close the their retail price point!

I fell in love with the Desmond/Hall set immediately. The interplay between those two guys was unbelievable. Always on my list of favorite Mosaics.

The Desmond/Hall box was my very first Mosaic. I purchased the box brand new from Mosaic, way back when. I didn’t purchase another Mosaic set till I discovered the BNBB and subsequently purchased the Hank Mobley box.

Along with Walter Becker & Donald Fagan, my introduction to ‘real’ jazz was from Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond. I couldn’t get over the sound of Desmond’s saxophone. Nobody sounded like Desmond.

I usually find the Desmond/Hall box at the bottom of my stack of Mosaics. When I do pull it out I always wonder why it’s been so long since the last time. Desmond and Hall were meant for each other. They both play with a subtle intensity that can’t be explained. If Paul Desmond played the guitar he’d sound like Jim Hall. If Jim Hall played the saxophone he’d sound like Paul Desmond.

The Desmond/Hall box full of enchantment and delight. Each player complements the other to create a very personal, private, yet free sound. Some of the playing is so delicate and so powerful it can snap your mind straight into a trance-like state if you’re not careful.

Didn’t Paul Desmond say he played saxophone like a dry martini?

Edited by wesbed

Desmond is a favorite of mine, too, and he had an INCREDIBLE wit! Reading some of the liner notes to his albums is sure to provide a chuckle, if not an outright guffaw!

Hmm, don't think I've ever used the word "guffaw" in a post. Certainly not this late at night! :blink:

Edited by mikeb

I love this set as well but I've got one for you. I was corresponding with someone on-line about Mosaics when the subject of this set came up. This guy told me that he loved this music so much that he was thinking about making a provision in his will that when he died, he wanted the Mosaic set burried with him. A little extreme? The definition of a true jazz fan, IMO!

A few years ago, the guys at Audiophile USA acquired about 30 or OOP Mosaic sets. They were all priced WAY under ebay prices, which back then were considerably lower than today's ebay prices.

Ed, I picked up the Buddy Defranco set, Lon got the Art Hodes, another friend of mine got the Ike Quebec 45's and I just, JUST missed the Quebec/Hardee!! I still have never seen the Quebec/Hardee on CD... probably never will.

BTW, I got the DeFranco set for $75. I was extremely happy at this purchase. I am suprised at how much I've enjoyed it, especially when I didn't expect to.

Later,

Kevin

I'm a little let down to see that new Mosaic sets are popping up all over the place on other retail outlets. I thought that Mosaic products were only available from Mosaic alone. I got a Collectors Choice catalog in the mail today and there must be at least 8 Mosaic sets in that catalog. Dusty Groove is selling Mosaic Selects on their website and the even a specialty dealer like Footlight Records is selling the new Sarah Vaughan set on their website. I am beginning to think that everyone involved with both Blue Note and Mosaic is full of shit!! :angry:

Edited by Out2Lunch

I'm a little let down to see that new Mosaic sets are popping up all over the place on other retail outlets. I thought that Mosaic products were only available from Mosaic alone. I got a Collectors Choice catalog in the mail today and there must be at least 8 Mosaic sets in that catalog. Dusty Groove is selling Mosaic Selects on their website and the even a specialty dealer like Footlight Records is selling the new Sarah Vaughan set on their website. I am beginning to think that everyone involved with both Blue Note and Mosaic is full of shit!!

One positive I do see to this is... Hopefully Mosaic can/will sell enough product to be profitable and continue to issue top-quality jazz boxes so I can keep buying 'em. :rsly:

I can't help but wonder how strong Mosaic sales are at retail outlets. There is a Border's here with a fairly large jazz section that has had the Peggy Lee/June Christy set on their shelf forever with no takers (maybe I should buy it). Same price as the website. I'll bet most Mosaic buyers prefer to deal directly with them-unless we're talking oop sets.

Originally you could only buy new Mosaic sets directly from them. They then made certain concessions with sets that were licenced from Capitol or EMI such as the Nat Cole and the Peggy Lee/June Christy and the Kenton sets. Now it seems that everything is fair game. I guess that it cuts into the cottage industry attention and service that we've all come to know and admire from a little company that I guess needs to branch out.

I'm a little let down to see that new Mosaic sets are popping up all over the place on other retail outlets. I thought that Mosaic products were only available from Mosaic alone. I got a Collectors Choice catalog in the mail today and there must be at least 8 Mosaic sets in that catalog. Dusty Groove is selling Mosaic Selects on their website and the even a specialty dealer like Footlight Records is selling the new Sarah Vaughan set on their website. I am beginning to think that everyone involved with both Blue Note and Mosaic is full of shit!! :angry:

Tod

Collectors Choice and Audiophile USA have been selling Mosaic sets for years. Selected sets have been available in stores for quite some time as well. But I'll grant you that there are more sets available from more sources now than in the past.

I kind of look at these as buying opportunities. Lots of sites discount their new releases pretty substantially. I picked up The Four Freshmen and Lee/Christy sets at a nice discount. I'm hoping they put the Hackett set out at the retail level. I'd like not to have to pay full price for that one given what I've read, but I'm curious enough to buy it.

Is an expanded retail presence due to slumping catalog sales? Because of EMI's influence? Who knows? They don't advertise anywhere I know, so maybe this is there way of getting the word out. At any rate, I'm not ready to go so far as to say that Mosaic is full shit, but if you ask me about Tom Evered, I might just have a few choice words for you. ;)

Ed, You know that I share your admiration for Mosaic, being proud to have an up to date complete collection of those black boxes. However, my point is that back in the day when I would devour every word in their catalogs, they always made a special point of stating the company philosophy which firmly announced the policy of limited series, never to be re-pressed and also the exclusivity of purchasing new sets ONLY from Mosaic. I just find it a little dissapointing that have changed a policy that they have so staunchly subscribed to until recently.

I guess that in the light of the board being pulled out from under us, this is just another sore point with me at the moment. My melancholy will subside when the UPS guy delivers the next set, I'm sure. Thanks for listening, this is much cheaper than a shrink ;)

Edited by Out2Lunch

Ed, You know that I share your admiration for Mosaic, being proud to have an up to date complete collection of those black boxes. However, my point is that back in the day when I would devour every word in their catalogs, they always made a special point of stating the company philosophy which firmly announced the policy of limited series, never to be re-pressed and also the exclusivity of purchasing new sets ONLY from Mosaic.  I just find it a little dissapointing that have changed a policy that they have so staunchly subscribed to until recently. 

I guess that in the light of the board being pulled out from under us, this is just another sore point with me at the moment.  My melancholy will subside when the UPS guy delivers the next set, I'm sure. Thanks for listening, this is much cheaper than a shrink    ;)

I understand those feelings completely, especially in light of the BNBB fiasco. But cheer up Tod. Why don't sit down by the fire and enjoy a piece of your date-nut bread. If you can't finish it, toss some scraps into the fire. The hues of orange, pink, and green in the flames are quite unique. It's almost like the Northern Lights right in your own fireplace. At least the stuff you sent my way had that effect :unsure:

Usually I'd recommend a glass of scotch to help you relax as well. But if you're going to go the date nut bread route, I'd swallow a fistful of Pepcid AC about 30-60 minutes prior to downing the bread. Wash it down with beaucoups amounts of Pepto-Bismol. Put it on ice if you find the sound of ice in your glass soothing. ;)

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Ed, I'm impressed by the way that you handled Tod in his moment of crisis. That steady hand and calming effect that you bring to the table seems quite natural and unforced. In short, you exude confidence and I like your style. If I ever amass a small fortune and move into that former Vanderbildt 'cottage' on the Hudson that I like so much would you ever consider signing on as my butler ? :D

and move into that former Vanderbildt 'cottage' on the Hudson that I like so much would you ever consider signing on as my butler ?      :D

Son of A Weizen! Oh no!! Now there are two! Well I guess if they can clone sheep.....................................

Ed, I'm impressed by the way that you handled Tod in his moment of crisis. That steady hand and calming effect that you bring to the table seems quite natural and unforced. In short, you exude confidence and I like your style. If I ever amass a small fortune and move into that former Vanderbildt 'cottage' on the Hudson that I like so much would you ever consider signing on as my butler ? :D

You know, I'd bcome quite a follower of the great Achtung Dr Freud Calling prior to the shutdown of the Blue Note Board. Perhaps his influence is showing.

As for the butler gig, depends on whether the place is going to be crawling with babes like Joe Millionaire's chateau. ;)

Thanks Ed but I mailed the last of that date-nut bread off to Tom and the Boardmaster at Blue Note just before they shut down the board. Kind of a coincidence, don't you think?

;)

All this time I thought it had something to do with my scathing posts critiquing Tom and the BM of all BM's handling of the whole matter and my thread calling for shutting down the board for a couple of months.

Now the truth comes out :blink:

Based upon Tom's attitude, you must have him sent that bread a few weeks ago. :o

Getting back to Tod's original point about Mosaics showing up in a lot of different places and whether these are limited or not, it seems to me that if Mosaic can find other markets in which to sell these sets, these sales can only be to the good in being able to bring out newer sets. The last thing we want to see is Mosaic run into financial trouble and lose them as a source.

That would be a devastating loss.

I guess you're right Brad. Anyway, on the bright side--looks like many of us Mosaic Junkies have found a safe harbor over here and can carry on our diatribes without fear of "Big Brother" pulling the plug! If they re-open that board, I think it will have a tea party atmosphere and not the type that Doctor A.F. used to load his pipe with.... :g

Getting back to Tod's original point about Mosaics showing up in a lot of different places and whether these are limited or not, it seems to me that if Mosaic can find other markets in which to sell these sets, these sales can only be to the good in being able to bring out newer sets.  The last thing we want to see is Mosaic run into financial trouble and lose them as a source.

That would be a devastating loss.

One of the big incentives to buy the sets is the "limited" aspect. If that policy really changes, I would think sales would decrease. I know I would probably have put off buying a set or two if I knew they would be issued again.

One of the big incentives to buy the sets is the "limited" aspect. If that policy really changes, I would think sales would decrease. I know I would probably have put off buying a set or two if I knew they would be issued again.

DB, these Mosaic sets showing up in stores count against the total contract. All they do is take stock out of Mosaics warehouse (or "back room" in this case), and stick them on retailers' shelves. The set is still "limited".

BTW, as I understand it, back a few years ago it was common practice for Japanese stores to carry Mosaic boxes. Back when the Yen was strong, they could buy them from Mosaic cheap and re-sell them with a huge markup. I read somewhere once that one store had a couple hundred sets of the Grant Green on their shelves... Sonny Clark is very big over there. Having these sets in retail stores can't be bad for Mosaic, they get the sale, even if it's to a big chain. Hey, if my pockets were deep enough, I'd buy a shitload of these things and stash them... of course, I know I wouldn't do it... I just wouldn't feel right speculating on Mosaics. But if I was rich, it would be hard not to buy a bunch. Maybe even just give them to libraries. :)

Later,

Kevin