Anthony Braxton

7/4

I'm just starting my way into braxton's world, since i used to be more a hardbopper, for now i can say he's great for alto it's a must listen i think. I own not much recordings under his name just quartet (dortmund) and eight +3 tristano compositions, but i'm looking for more stuff from him

Those are 2 good ones.

Keep going.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A good deal on ebay-- I'd take advantage, but alas, to quote Mr. Braxton: "No coins"

Quartet (London)[?] 1985 Leo 3xLP for sale at $35.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTHONY-BRAXTON-quartet-1985-box-set-750-pressed-3-LP-/130407620915?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1e5ce66133

(No affiliation w/ seller)

One of 750. I've never actually seen one of these and always assumed they'd go for much money.

Not sure; I've heard differing opinions. I like his other duet situations with Tietelbaum and that one is at the top of my AB "looking for" list along with Solo (London) 1988, Eight (+3) Tristano Compositions, and Six Duets (1982) with John Lindberg.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Upcoming release on Tzadik:

- Braxton, Graves, Parker: Beyond Quantum [#7626]

Anthony Braxton, Milford Graves and William Parker are quite literally three of the most

important virtuoso instrumentalists in new music, each a vivid

conceptualist as well an influential composer/performer. This

intense improvisational outing features them at their best: excited,

inspired and in complete communication. Recorded and mixed by musical

alchemist Bill Laswell, sparks fly in this important and historic

meeting of creative music masters.

I finally got a copy of this and listened to it twice yesterday - I'm crazy about it. Braxton and Graves are a great match.

would like to hear it - one thing I do not quite understand re:

"Anthony Braxton, Milford Graves and William Parker are quite literally three of the most

important virtuoso instrumentalists in new music"

how could this be true in the figurative sense? they either are or they aren't - so "literally" makes no sense.

People always have to oversell stuff. Obviously they're all legends and masters, so why try to qualify it in some pointless, breathless way?

It's the American way. :D

It's the Tzadik way. That label has some hilariously overblown descriptions of its product.

But it is a great CD.

and it's a shame Milford Graves doesn't record more often.

(and it's just copy. Don't be such a sausage Allen.)

People always have to oversell stuff. Obviously they're all legends and masters, so why try to qualify it in some pointless, breathless way?

It's the American way. :D

It's the Tzadik way. That label has some hilariously overblown descriptions of its product.

But it is a great CD.

It sure is. And obi strip hyperbole aside, it's a great label.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yet two more new releases:

I thought Braxton was done with the GTM stuff, but then I noticed the dates (2003).

He still performs GTM. The duos with Rhodes are actually from 2007.

One more new release, a duo with Ben Opie:

"In 2008, Anthony Braxton's music was celebrated in Pittsburgh with the "Braxton Plays Pittsburgh Plays Braxton" festival. One of the results of that festival is this double-CD session. Braxton is joined by saxophonist/clarinetist Ben Opie, playing extended performances on two works from Braxton's Ghost Trance Musics series. There are several lines blurred throughout: the division between composition and improvisation, and the differences between the two reed players. It's an intimate and exciting set of recordings."

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braxtonopie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently spun Six Compositions: Quartet recorded in 1981 for Antilles w/ Mark Helias, Anthony Davis and Ed Blackwell. I would certainly recommend it to a fan who doesn't own it. Very accessible stuff and some of the most... textured? work I've heard from him. Braxton sticks to alto and plays through some of his 70s quartet series of compositions.

Got this email today:

Thank you for signing up on the Tri-Centric Foundation website! This email is to notify you that the site is now open. Please visit http://tricentricfoundation.org and have a look around. As a token of our appreciation, for a limited time, the website will be offering a free album download: Septet (Pittsburgh) 2008 with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass), Aaron Siegel (percussion), and Mary Halvorson (guitar).

The Tri-Centric Foundation website has three components: a one-stop informational home for the composer and the foundation; a 'friendly experiencer' section for an immersive jump into Braxton's sound world; and New Braxton House Records, an online label dedicated to offering Braxton's music for convenient and affordable download.

New Braxton House Records will be releasing two album-length downloads per month, with material ranging from recent Ghost Trance Music concerts to rare recordings from the 1970s, from solo saxophone recitals to orchestra performances. The label's initial release will be a Sextet (Philadelphia) 2005, a double album-length performance from Braxton's long-time working ensemble featuring the composer on saxophones, with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass), and Aaron Siegel (percussion). The full catalog of the old Braxton House imprint from the late 1990s will also be available in downloadable format for the first time.

Customers can buy any recording on an a la carte basis, or may choose to become subscribers, receiving each month's two new downloads plus 10% off all back-catalog items for $12+1 a month, with all proceeds from the sales directly supporting the Tri-Centric Foundation. Additionally, in a move reminiscent of Frank Zappa's Beat the Boots, the website will be culling from the hundreds of unauthorized Braxton concert bootlegs available online, 'liberating' those with the most historical value and offering them free-of-charge.