Anthony Braxton

7/4

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scheduled for release this year:

• Trio (New Haven) 2013, a 4-CD set of Braxton performing with two of contemporary improvisation’s leading drummers, Tom Rainey and Tomas Fujiwara.
  • 12 Duets (DCWM) 2012, 12-CD set presenting Braxton in dialogue with three distinctive duet partners: violinist Erica Dicker, vocalist Kyoko Kitamura and bassoonist Katherine Young.
  • 3 Compositions (EEMHM) 2011, a 3-CD set documenting Braxton’s newest composition system, Echo Echo Mirror House Music, featuring Braxton’s long-running septet with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Mary Halvorson (guitar), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass) and Aaron Siegel (percussion) to be released from Firehouse 12 Records.

12 CDs is a bit much to swallow, but if the price is not absolutely budget-killing, I'll go for that set along with the others. One big reason is that Katherine Young is just an incredible musician. Check her out on her album "Pretty Monsters." There is also a solo disc on Porter that is fantastic. She was also part of Braxton's quartet on the Moscow and Mestre discs; one of my favorite Braxton ensembles of recent times.

is anyone a Tricentric foundation subscriber?

I'm interested in getting hold of a subscriber-only downloads of some London concerts I attended. Has anyone already dl'd them as I'd be interested to know what the quality's like.

Mind you I'm not sure they'll be worth the annual subscription

Edited by mjazzg

I'll be at the Roulette gigs for sure.

Braxton on boxed sets seems to be something along the lines of "if the idea is good, it bears repeating." And that the repeating of an idea will help it sink in a bit better. I think that his music does require complete investment and total experience; immersion is something that shouldn't take just an hour of one day before you move on - it should be many hours over many decades, and in no particular order.

To Clifford's point, the fascinating (and sometimes frustrating) thing about Braxton's music is that takes that immersion over time to really grasp what he's doing, and for the listening experience to pay off fully. For me, Ghost Trace was the toughest nut to crack, but with the sheer number of releases over several years' time, I can now appreciate that body of work. And now he has at least 4 new concepts being developed simultaneously...

If you're looking for single disc Braxton from the last couple years there's

Quartet (Mestre) 2008 (Caligola)

Quartet (Moscow) 2008 (Leo)

Quartet (Warsaw) 2012 (For Tune)

Duo (Amherst) 2010 (Tri-Centric)

Echo Echo Mirror House (Victo)

All are very strong.

Don't forget 514XcMfcAZL.jpg

6 Duos (Wesleyan)2006 is the only one I know, I enjoy it's delicacy with a dash of sousa.

Frankly I'm pretty bamboozled by Braxton. There's just so much stuff , it's hard to know where to begin that it's easier not to bother. Having a said that I'm drawn in like a moth to a light. I'm interested to hear what he's doing now ( I mean last decade) as I have a smattering of CD/LPs covering his career to the late 80s.

I'm interested in getting hold of a subscriber-only downloads of some London concerts I attended. Has anyone already dl'd them as I'd be interested to know what the quality's like.

I was until they moved from $7.99/month to $100/year. If I could break that up over months I would do it but I don't really have $100 to blow at once. I'm sure there's a good reason they did it that way, but it's a little frustrating.

I was until they moved from $7.99/month to $100/year. If I could break that up over months I would do it but I don't really have $100 to blow at once. I'm sure there's a good reason they did it that way, but it's a little frustrating.

Exactly my situation. Can't drop $100 like that.

Exactly my situation. Can't drop $100 like that.

Maybe institutions (college libraries, etc.) find it easier to pay that way.

6 Duos (Wesleyan)2006 is the only one I know, I enjoy it's delicacy with a dash of sousa.

Frankly I'm pretty bamboozled by Braxton. There's just so much stuff , it's hard to know where to begin that it's easier not to bother. Having a said that I'm drawn in like a moth to a light. I'm interested to hear what he's doing now ( I mean last decade) as I have a smattering of CD/LPs covering his career to the late 80s.

I'd suggest the Iridium box, the Moscow and Mestre discs, the Echo Echo Mirror House disc, and Trio (Glasgow) 2005 on Leo.

I'd suggest the Iridium box, the Moscow and Mestre discs, the Echo Echo Mirror House disc, and Trio (Glasgow) 2005 on Leo.

Moscow on order . Thanks

I really feel like they should have a student and/or musician level of membership, allowing for membership at reduced rates. It would really encourage the dissemination of the work and philosophy at a price point that hungry minds could afford.

I definitely have some frustrations with the Foundation, but I won't air them here.