Anthony Braxton

7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the 4 CD set with Rainey & Fujiwara.

I saw that box at the Braxton concert but didn't pull the trigger :blush: (now you have to be a member to get it). Anyway, would still like to get it. Would be interested in reactions to it. One question I had about it was whether Braxton played duos with each drummer, or with both drummers at the same time, since the album is called "Trio (New Haven) 2013," or both? I've not seen that clarified anywhere.

Member of what?

The 4 CD set is available for pre-sale (June 10 release) at Amazon & CD Universe.

Tricentric Foundation

http://tricentricfoundation.org/all-releases/

I saw that box at the Braxton concert but didn't pull the trigger :blush: (now you have to be a member to get it). Anyway, would still like to get it. Would be interested in reactions to it. One question I had about it was whether Braxton played duos with each drummer, or with both drummers at the same time, since the album is called "Trio (New Haven) 2013," or both? I've not seen that clarified anywhere.

Member of what?

The 4 CD set is available for pre-sale (June 10 release) at Amazon & CD Universe.

Tricentric Foundation

Less $ at Amazon.

Member of what?

Tricentric Foundation

Less $ at Amazon.

Good to know. Not sure then why the Tricentric site lists it as "members only." Maybe only available to members prior to commercial release? I don't see a price on it at the site, but I know Braxton was selling the sets for $40 at the Roulette show.

Member of what?

Tricentric Foundation

Less $ at Amazon.

Good to know. Not sure then why the Tricentric site lists it as "members only." Maybe only available to members prior to commercial release? I don't see a price on it at the site, but I know Braxton was selling the sets for $40 at the Roulette show.

Sorry to belabor this, but it says $47 at tri-centric ( maybe that's not the member price) & $42 at Amazon. Of course, both are apparently more than at the live show.

A Tri-centric email from a month or so ago made mention of a third box set (4 CDs) of Echo Echo Mirror House music being released, yet I can only find the Duets and Trio box sets on http://tricentricfoundation.org/all-releases/. Unfortunately, I deleted the email a while ago. Does anyone know when it will be released or still have the e-mail in their inbox?

A Tri-centric email from a month or so ago made mention of a third box set (4 CDs) of Echo Echo Mirror House music being released, yet I can only find the Duets and Trio box sets on http://tricentricfoundation.org/all-releases/. Unfortunately, I deleted the email a while ago. Does anyone know when it will be released or still have the e-mail in their inbox?

• 3 Compositions (EEMHM) 2011, a 3-CD set documenting Braxton’s newest composition system, Echo Echo Mirror House Music, featuring Braxton’s long-running septet with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Mary Halvorson (guitar), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass) and Aaron Siegel (percussion) to be released from Firehouse 12 Records.

• 3 Compositions (EEMHM) 2011, a 3-CD set documenting Braxton’s newest composition system, Echo Echo Mirror House Music, featuring Braxton’s long-running septet with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Mary Halvorson (guitar), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass) and Aaron Siegel (percussion) to be released from Firehouse 12 Records.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I always rather see Braxton on reeds but I don't have a problem with his piano playing, which, like a good physician, "does no harm." In fact, like most of what he does, it has its idiosyncratic interest. I like his playing here:

anthony-braxton-six-standards-quintet-19

Braxton as a piano composer is something else. I think his compositions are probably in advance of his playing.

There is a Hat Hut LP with Marianne Schroeder playing Braxton & Stockhausen, a 4xCD box on Hat performed by Hildegaard Kleeb, and an 8xCD box set on Leo performed by Genevieve Fraccroulle. I think that's it.

Right - but the Arista is the only one w/ Oppens? I'd thought there was another one but...

Rzewski, Oppens (on organ) and Braxton all appear together on one song on a Folkways LP. Otherwise, that's it. "For Two Pianos" is a good one.

There is a Hat Hut LP with Marianne Schroeder playing Braxton & Stockhausen, a 4xCD box on Hat performed by Hildegaard Kleeb, and an 8xCD box set on Leo performed by Genevieve Fraccroulle. I think that's it.

I have the Schroeder and the Kleeb, and particularly like the Kleeb. It is fun to listen to the music while reading Braxton's Composition Notes. At least for me, it helps me to get inside of the experience, and it is quite enjoyable.

I have a few of the releases with Braxton playing piano, but I haven't pulled them out in years. I've never been able to get into them fully. Overall, I'm more of a fan of his '70s and '80s quartets, orchestra music, and solo work. I do enjoy some of the ghost trance work too.

At some point, I plan to re-subscribe to the Tri-Centric Foundation and download a few new releases. There is a boatload of interesting material there.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any word on the following?

Any word on the following?

I've been wondering about that one too... i've been keeping an eye out for it; I check the Firehouse 12 site every now and again when i'm doing my bookmark rounds: they haven't released anything this year let alone the Braxton.