Anthony Braxton

7/4

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

There is an 11 CD box Anthony Braxton Sextet (Parker) 1993 in the pipeline. To be released spring 2018 through Bandcamp.

gyl5orsthm0bs5vqashu.jpg

Dear Friendly Experiencer,

The holiday season is upon us and we have three 
free albums for you on our website until the end of the year. We hope you enjoy them! Come December 31st, we will be shutting down the site for a short while, and will be back with a new Bandcamp page and more. If you have albums in your account which you have not downloaded yet, please do so by the end of the year. Your accounts will not be carried over to the new site.

This year, we are trying something new with our special 
end-of-the-year fundraising campaign of which one of the rewards is the advanced copy of Sextet (Parker) 1993, the long-awaited 11-CD box set of Braxton's interpretations of the Charlie Parker songbook (official release spring 2018).

Due to a decrease in funding as well as changes in revenue from our album sales, we need your help to carry us through some major projects scheduled for next year. If the work Tri-Centric has produced in the past, the projects we are engaged in right now, and the initiatives we are developing for the future are meaningful to you - please consider making a tax-deductible contribution on our 
fundraising page.

In 2017, we were able to provide rarely performed Braxton scores to stellar ensembles and soloists across the globe including the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra (UK), MusikFabrik (Germany), The Jack String Quartet (U.S.), ICE (U.S.), Either/Or (U.S.), Wet Ink Ensemble (U.S.), and many others. We also recorded two major new box sets that will be released in the coming year: the complete Syntactical Ghost Trance Music with a twelve member vocal choir; and, in partnership with Firehouse 12 Records, the debut recordings of Braxton’s ZIM Music Ensemble - a group ranging from six to nine musicians including the composer, with the unusual instrumentation including two harps, reeds, brass, cello, and accordion.

We are currently renovating our website and plan to unveil our Bandcamp page in early 2018. Through Bandcamp, we will be officially releasing Sextet (Parker) 1993. The Syntactical Ghost Trance Music recording release is also in the calendar. Tri-Axium Writings is being revised right now, which we plan to distribute free of charge when ready. We will continue to make more Braxton scores available to the public. And that's just the tip of the iceberg; we have major plans in the works which we will be announcing when the time is right, building towards an international celebration of Braxton's 75th birthday in 2020.

Help us keep going! No amount is too small. We thank you for your support this year, and wish you a wonderful and safe holiday season.

All the best,
Tri-Centric Team

https://www.generosity.com/fundraising/tri-centric-foundation

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0012626223_10.jpg

Dear Friendly Experiencers,

We are happy to announce that our new 
website and our new Bandcamp pageare now live. Our first new offering, released today, is the long-awaited Sextet (Parker) 1993 - an epic 11-CD deluxe box set documenting Braxton's legendary European tour performing music composed by and associated with Charlie Parker, featuring Misha Mengelberg, Paul Smoker, Ari Brown, Joe Fonda and Pheeroan akLaff (drummer Han Bennink substitutes for akLaff on one disc).

This reissue greatly expands upon the original two-disc set released in 1995 by Hathut Records under the title "Anthony Braxton's Charlie Parker Project 1993." It captures every note played by these musicians, live and in studio, during the week of October 18-24, 1993, traveling between Cologne, Amsterdam, Zurich, and Antwerp. However the music is not presented simply in a documentary fashion gig to gig - Braxton himself sequenced the recordings, album by album, to create one massive artistic statement.

The box set, with a 26-page booklet including Stuart Broomer's insightful essay, will be solely available in a limited-edition run of 500 copies. (The music will also be available for streaming or digital download via Bandcamp.)

Glenn Ito, who accompanied the band, has kindly shared with us rare photos from the tour. Now we share them with you. All photos in this newsletter were taken by Glenn M. Ito. Enjoy, then visit our 
Bandcamp page and listen to a few tracks from the album.

Best regards,
Tri-Centric Team

You can listen to the whole thing on Bandcamp: https://newbraxtonhouse.bandcamp.com/album/sextet-parker-1993

I have listened to the first 23 tracks now, and think this would be a good purchase for me. I'll pick this up at the end of the month. Hopefully Jazz Messengers will have stock by then.

I never bought the 2CD set on Hathut Records, by the way. And as a Dutch national, I have almost no Misha Mengelberg in my collection.

Edited by erwbol

On 3/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, jlhoots said:

Jeez - I might stick to the 2 CD set that I have had for many years!!

1 hour ago, 7/4 said:

I'd love to own this, but don't think I will. I thought Charlie Parker Project 1993 was a blast!

Yes, the new set looks very interesting, but I will almost certainly stick with the old 2-disc set.

Am I right to assume that CD-Rs are used for the the compact disc version? Can't see the official CD logo anywhere on the product. 

Edit: I contacted "New Braxton House" with this question. Will report back here.

9 minutes ago, 7/4 said:

I hear ya. But it isn't just the money. I moved 15 months ago and don't have the room either. Most of my CDs are boxed up and stored in a spare room.

There is always the (cheaper) option of just buying the files.... If the discs are indeed CD-Rs, I might do this as well.

Edited by Misterioso

7 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Am I right to assume that CD-Rs are used for the the compact disc version? Can't see the official CD logo anywhere on the product. 

Edit: I contacted "New Braxton House" with this question. Will report back here.

Got the answer: proper CDs :tup

• 3 weeks later...

This a superbly produced box set. Beautiful non-fatiguing warm sound (now listening to disc 1). Excellent booklet. Many here would enjoy this if they could scrape the cash together.

If you can occasionally spend $150 on a Mosaic set, you might as well get this New Braxton House release. Similar value for money.

Edited by erwbol