7/4

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Look inside the new edition: https://www.amazon.com/Forces-Motion-Anthony-Meta-reality-Creative/dp/0486824098

Screen_Shot_2018-08-02_at_07.27.43.png

Compared to my hardcover:

Discographical Note (378-379) smaller than old Discography (378-395)

Three new sections, together about 31 pages: Selected Updates to the First Edition; Afterword by Anthony Braxton; Still in Motion: Road, Metaroad, Quartet - A Short Sequel 

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

Anthony Braxton box - four hour-long slabs dedicated to Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, James Brown, and Merle Haggard, played by AB, Taylor Ho Bynum, Nels Cline, and Greg Saunier out 6/21 on Firehouse 12.

Source: Burning Ambulance

Sounds good.

I don't know if it necessarily sounds "good", but AB & Haggard...more than a little curious to see/hear the lens (lenses?) that goes through on its way to what process on its way to the final music.

I hope there are copious liner notes, and I do mean copious!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I don't know if it necessarily sounds "good", but AB & Haggard...more than a little curious to see/hear the lens (lenses?) that goes through on its way to what process on its way to the final music.

I hope there are copious liner notes, and I do mean copious!

Braxton has a penchant for dedicating his compositions / performances to people he likes. The Braxton GTM 2001 set had tracks dedicated to Captain Beefheart, Shostakovitch, John Cage, Harry Partch, Betsy Jolas, etc. This is as meaningful as Braxton's drawing for his compositions.

Image result for anthony braxton composition 2009

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Waiting on comments from all who bought or who are buying this. I always wish there are track breaks on these long form pieces. I just listened to Globe Unity 2002 in 2 sittings yesterday - the piece is 74 minutes long with no track breaks. Very fine performance but no reason they can’t break it up performances like that of this box set into 3 or 4 tracks for each long piece.

still on my list but I’m a bit back-logged as there are just too many very good to great new recordings being released when it comes to this sort of thing - extended inward or outward. The inclusion of Nels Cline is a attractive aspect of this box and Bynum is a world class musician as well.

I'm not practised at writing reviews, but CDs 1 & 4 are available for streaming from bandcamp on the link above. I listened to disc 1 and am happy with both performance and sound quality. Couldn't say if this is absolute top tier in this sort of thing. You're probably a better judge.

43 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Waiting on comments from all who bought or who are buying this. I always wish there are track breaks on these long form pieces. I just listened to Globe Unity 2002 in 2 sittings yesterday - the piece is 74 minutes long with no track breaks. Very fine performance but no reason they can’t break it up performances like that of this box set into 3 or 4 tracks for each long piece.

still on my list but I’m a bit back-logged as there are just too many very good to great new recordings being released when it comes to this sort of thing - extended inward or outward. The inclusion of Nels Cline is a attractive aspect of this box and Bynum is a world class musician as well.

Saunier is a fantastic drummer, by the way, though I have yet to hear this particular stuff. I'm sure he's on fire.

• 8 months later...